Author Topic: Skin Game Interview gathering topic  (Read 113393 times)

Offline Russtronic

• Posty McPostington
  • Becarefull of your thoughts. Mind reading is easy.
    • View Profile
Re: Skin Game Interview gathering topic
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »
From my point of view JB stuck Harry in an INSANE situation with no powers and let him dig himself out.
“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.” ― Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2014, 11:54:53 PM »
From my point of view JB stuck Harry in an INSANE situation with no powers and let him dig himself out.

You seem to be pretty attached to this idea that that one detail of Skin Game applies to what Jim said in that interview, but A, Jim explicitly said, "wind up in an insane asylum with no magic."  B, he described this as the premise of an outline for a book.  For Skin Game, the premise was the heist.  You are discussing a small detail.

Oh, on another note, I just added a link in the OP to another interview I just found:
Booktopia Interview Posted on June 4, 2014 by Shikha Shah
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:02:45 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 04:44:33 AM »
he wants to have Dresden in an insane asylum with no magic. 

And then Harry will have to escape using his charm and intellect... okay, he's there for good. ;)
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline Russtronic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 06:32:43 AM »
I was talking about Harry as a Spirit. Not about "Skin Game".. It was just a muse about Harry's first take on the situation.
“The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us.” ― Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 07:28:24 AM »
If Ghost Story wasn't Harry stuck in an Insane Asylum without his powers I dont know what is.

Yea, unless Jim was being literal when he made that statement, I thought Ghost Story crossed off that scenario.  I mean Jim may have actually written in his notebook that he wanted Harry to wake up without powers in an insane asylum, but Ghost Story feels like a reasonable adaptation of that idea.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Russtronic

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
Thank You. That is how I perceived it from the start.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline sythmaster

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2014, 04:59:00 AM »
Videos from Dragon Con 2014 appear to be on youtube.  I'm not affiliated with the vids, but thought some would find this of note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR6RCDkmH1I

This is the Jim Butcher Q&A one, appears same user has some of the larger panels as well - haven't seen them yet though.

Cheers.

Offline Romulan Cmdr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2014, 12:47:31 AM »
Videos from Dragon Con 2014 appear to be on youtube.  I'm not affiliated with the vids, but thought some would find this of note.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR6RCDkmH1I

This is the Jim Butcher Q&A one, appears same user has some of the larger panels as well - haven't seen them yet though.

Cheers.
Yep! AndiSue is responsible for all of those vids. She has a full playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWB32AbZlbsBM6aW5bythLg428V4W3KVe

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2014, 02:28:00 AM »
I want to make sure I get this uncorroborated WoJ down.  Unfortunately there were no good recordings of the Skin Game Mysterious Galaxy signing, so we have no recording of the actual words said.

I got to ask Jim about Harry making Soul Fire enhanced gear, since it's literally the most obvious thing to do with Soul Fire. and the response I got was pretty much exactly what I suspected.
Per Jim, making something out of Soul Fire would have the same vulnerabilities as having one's blood out to grab all the time, but worse. At the same time, Jim said that Harry's just dumb enough to try it. Jim said that Soul Fire would be perfect for creating stuff, since that's what its purpose it, but he also went into a little spiel about how profound the act of creation is, and how that would have unforeseen consequences for years to come.
I'm really really hoping that either I hit on a plot point that hasn't come up yet, or that I gave Jim an idea that he'll at least address the issue in text.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:43 PM »
Cheers! First post on this board (though I've been lurking for a couple of years by now).

Is there some public schedule which podcasts Jim is going to appear on next? In one of the last two podcasts posted, the interviewer asked fan questions and I have this one question I've been burning to ask Jim for a couple of years now. Since I live in Germany, it's kind of hard to get a chance to talk to him otherwise (and, yes, I know he is going to be in England next year... that's still far away and expensive to visit).

Offline frankcesca

• Posty McPostington
  • Captain Nitpick
    • View Profile
    • and then I cooked...
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2014, 10:12:45 PM »
Jim sometimes answers the odd question fans ask him on Twitter (not mine, but others') - @longshotauthor if you want to try. Before a couple of his recent convention appearances we also compiled lists of questions we hoped people would ask him - maybe we can do that again before the UK convention.

I live in Germany, too! (waves) and I won't be able to make it to Eastercon because I'll be about three days away from having a baby. ;)
Carlos is a planarian.  This is quite efficient as, if he is ever bisected during a fight, there will be two of him.

You are a good person. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Not even yourself.
JB, TC

Offline magnuskn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2014, 11:24:16 AM »
Jim sometimes answers the odd question fans ask him on Twitter (not mine, but others') - @longshotauthor if you want to try. Before a couple of his recent convention appearances we also compiled lists of questions we hoped people would ask him - maybe we can do that again before the UK convention.

I live in Germany, too! (waves) and I won't be able to make it to Eastercon because I'll be about three days away from having a baby. ;)

I fear my question is too long for Twitters format, since it needs a little bit of set-up to make sense. I'd love to add my question to any compilation of them before the UK convention, if only someone can point me towards a thread or email adress where to direct it.  :)

I hope everything goes well with the baby and also (waves back) good to know that there are other people from Germany active here. :)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 02, 2015, 12:27:25 PM »
Just found this one from september that apparently isn't here.

http://www.speculatesf.com/2014/09/16/episode-112-of-speculate-interview-with-jim-butcher/
DF WoJ Compilation