Author Topic: High Powered Wards, What's the Point?  (Read 1985 times)

Offline Rossbert

• Participant
    • View Profile
High Powered Wards, What's the Point?
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »
I was reading a thread on wards and some people in it mentioned pulling in 30-50 shifts of power for one. 
Why would you bother? 
If a ward is a block layered over a threshold, what purpose do you have for one stronger than 15-20 or so?  Very few things are capable of hitting harder than 8 or so, and the ones who are hitting at 20+ are rare indeed.  Add several shifts to duration and short of rigging it to explode all over people you shouldn't need more than 20-30 ever and there is no reason I see for 50.
Am I missing something?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: High Powered Wards, What's the Point?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
A 50 shift ward is crazy high.  I suppose it's possible but that's A LOT of work.  I think someone was being a bit too liberal with declarations.

What kind of refresh were they?

I feel that that kind of power should be a long-term adventure in order to find all the components required to gather the power.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 02:33:14 PM by Taran »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:36:07 PM »
I don't think I would even bother. If someone is trying to put up a ward like that (or even around 20 shifts), I'd just rule that it is safe enough to endure pretty much anything. I think it's ok to let the players have a safe haven. The trick is to make them want to come out of it. Or the bad guys will just have someone stand watch outside and go on with their plan.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »
The only ward my players have that's that many shifts is because it has several effects--the basic "can't cross through" ward is about 12 or so, and it's layered with a couple "reaction" effects: A blinding spell and wind spell (both maneuvers), and a lightning attack spell (which has to be triggered by the house's owner, and can tag the aforementioned maneuvers).
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Yeah, those 30-40 shift Wards aren't 30-40 shift Blocks. They spread all those shifts over the basic ward, early-warning systems, counterattack effects, and (don't forget) duration.

Offline Rossbert

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
I do get the feeling that players are handicapped with their wards as far as counterattacks go.  If you place a ward on a normal dwelling you are as likely to kill a mortal burglar as a supernatural nasty if you use Dresden-level evocation traps.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
I do get the feeling that players are handicapped with their wards as far as counterattacks go.  If you place a ward on a normal dwelling you are as likely to kill a mortal burglar as a supernatural nasty if you use Dresden-level evocation traps.
Which is why my player's ward's one actual attack has to be triggered by the home's occupant.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
I was reading a thread on wards and some people in it mentioned pulling in 30-50 shifts of power for one. 
Why would you bother? 
If a ward is a block layered over a threshold, what purpose do you have for one stronger than 15-20 or so?  Very few things are capable of hitting harder than 8 or so, and the ones who are hitting at 20+ are rare indeed.  Add several shifts to duration and short of rigging it to explode all over people you shouldn't need more than 20-30 ever and there is no reason I see for 50.
Am I missing something?
In case the player character in question has pissed off a major league ectomancer with an army of zombies at his command.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 01:18:12 AM »
50 shifts is pretty crazy. But who knows, maybe you need it for blocking hostile uber-rituals.

That gives me an idea: a closet, somewhere in the White Council HQ, with the mother of all wards on it. When the Council knows someone is gonna launch a killing ritual at you, they shove you in the closet.

But that aside, you mostly need big Wards for stopping other spellcasters and people with Mythic Strength. As a GM I went through a 12 shift-ward and then a 16-shift ward in pretty short order a little while ago, so I can see a good argument for going up to 30 shifts.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:20 AM »
50 shifts is pretty crazy. But who knows, maybe you need it for blocking hostile uber-rituals.

That gives me an idea: a closet, somewhere in the White Council HQ, with the mother of all wards on it. When the Council knows someone is gonna launch a killing ritual at you, they shove you in the closet.
This idea amuses the hell out of me. "Get in there." "What? For how long?" "A week, tops. DOn't worry, here's a magazine."

Offline killking72

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:20:27 AM »

If a ward is a block layered over a threshold, what purpose do you have for one stronger than 15-20 or so? 
Yes you are missing something. A ward can be multiple things, but the first thought I have for a spell over 20 shifts of power would be something called a landmine. The ward making the zone barrier doesn't have to be that high. The wards actual power could be about 5, but the other part, the part of harry's wards that go "boom" probably makes up the other portion. You have it set up where someone/thing breaks down your wards, it gets hit by an evocation launched at it. Simply make the actual ward portion equal to a couple shifts, and when the ward is broken, the spell goes off, and boom.

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »
I've installed multiple 20-odd shifts wards in my wizard's home and shop, but as others have noted, it's just a ward with a few land mines that deliver either maneuvers or blocks, usually set up to last a season (duration sucks up a LOT of shifts!).  That said, when a rich were-tiger PC tried to get me to ward his many properties, I pointed out that putting wards of that strength on them was out of the question and mechanically, his properties would probably defend with either Resources vs. mundane attacks (to indicate the money he's put into defending them) or Contacts vs magic stuff (to reflect the magical/what-not people he's come in contact with that can bolster them).
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.