Author Topic: Arcane Sanctum  (Read 1507 times)

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Arcane Sanctum
« on: April 25, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »
I have a few theories about this at current, but I just wanted to compare with others. What does Arcane Sanctum give you with its rating.... does it mean you always have ingredients for spells up to its rank? WHat happens if your base Lore is better than your Sanctum level?
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Arcane Sanctum
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:14:56 AM »
I have a few theories about this at current, but I just wanted to compare with others. What does Arcane Sanctum give you with its rating.... does it mean you always have ingredients for spells up to its rank?
No, that's based on your Lore

"You can move straight into the casting stage if the spell’s complexity is equal to or less than your Lore (after it’s adjusted by focus items—see page 278). This indicates that your wizard’s personal collection of knowledge and accoutrements suffices for the spell."

Honestly, it doesn't appear to do anything ... the term "Arcane Sanctum" doesn't appear anywhere in YS outside that table in the Resources skill (I searched my pdf copy), and I read through the thaumaturgy preparation rules and don't see anything about it.

Workspaces are fairly silly anyway, like the guidelines on libraries (the bit about the Internet being a Mediocre library is just ridiculous... I can see that you can find some specific things, like non-open-access scientific papers, in a good university library that you can't online... but even so that would probably make it Fair-Good by the listed guidelines. And even that isn't really accurate if what you really care about is finding the information itself rather than being able to cite the original source... anybody with a good Scholarship score should know how to judge the quality of online sources.)

Offline blackstaff67

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:22:37 PM »
After two years of playing we've yet to use the resource/library/workspace rules.  That said, players HAVE uncovered arcana that they could tag as an aspect towards researching a particular subject.
My Purity score: 37.2.  Sad.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 04:57:53 AM »
Yeah. Hardly anyone uses the workspace rules, and even if you use the workspace rules you can't use the arcane sanctum rules because they don't exist.

Offline Rossbert

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
I'm inclined to let people use a sanctum to give a bonus to declarations involving supplies of its level or lower (e.g. a Sanctum of Good is more likely to have supplies of Good quality than a Sanctum of Fair) and cut out the time required to shop as well as potentially being tagged for emergency ritual boosts if needed.