Poll

When it comes to characters, how do you prefer to create them?

My main cast of character names, personalities, flaws, etc are fully fleshed out before I write.
3 (33.3%)
OK, got a name & what he/she has to do but everything else is open to adapting.
3 (33.3%)
My main cast of characters are vague figments in my mind. We grow together.
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Character Development - Chicken or Egg Approach  (Read 6719 times)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Character Development - Chicken or Egg Approach
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 04:01:26 AM »
Sorry for the delay in replying but my nephew got married over the weekend and I haven't done much on the board. The setting is modern suburban although much of the story will take place elsewhere in the old cyclone, rabbit hole, wardrobe type shift.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying but my nephew got married over the weekend and I haven't done much on the board. The setting is modern suburban although much of the story will take place elsewhere in the old cyclone, rabbit hole, wardrobe type shift.

Modern suburban, I would think thinking about income level and social background and so forth should be a good handle on plausible names.  Baby name books and websites are useful for this, particularly the sort of ones that say "don't call your kid X, it sounds tacky" because that will tell you how a given name was perceived at a given time.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
Names are an opportunity; they allow you to imply things about background and social context.  The only place I really struggle with them is when I bump into test readers who read by word shape, and who come back saying things like "It's easy to read 'Dumitrov' as 'Dumbledore' so maybe this guy's first name could start with a letter other than A?" because that is entirely not natural to me (because 'Dumitrov' does not sound in the least like 'Dumbledore' at least to me).

I love this comment. And you and OZ are so right. Still, I am a person who doesn't see the endings of words. (You may have noticed. Nothing diagnosed or anything, but it's obvious if I'm tired and reading or typing. I just don't see the endings at those times. If it's close--my mind makes the leap.) Therefore going with something different in the alphabet is something I will always seek out. It just makes it easier for me to read. Also, I'm in young adult category, so the encouragement is for readers like me, or far worse, and the name variation helps them too.

It is also something that the awesome Jill Santopolo (young adult book editor) pushed in her novel classes. It was something the editors at her house drilled into them--so I comply.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
We need a button for "All of the above."  Seriously... I'll often think I have the character fleshed out, locked down tight and solid.  But as I write the character's dialogue, sometimes they'll spin off in a different direction.  Not just in terms of personality, but even in physical description.  For example, First Rider Kadien Jess started out like

As he got more lines, I kept hearing Michael Clarke Duncan reading them and my mental image shifted to

By the time the first draft was complete, Kadien Jess had settled into

Now, his basic personality and role in the story didn't change, but the voice and the mental image that came with it evolved through the course of the books. 

Other characters have stayed exactly the way I first envisioned them; they haven't changed in the slightest. 

Zeddie has pretty much always been

and since the character concept was conceived, Shaifennen Roehe's always been

Pretty distinctive look and feel for each of those characters, but some of them have evolved and morphed from something so far from the original mental image that physically they have no resemblance to the original, and while retaining the core personality, the mannerisms and voice have changed.  Others are solid and concrete.  About the only change Shaifennen has seen is the thing she does with her hair.  (She thinks it makes her less short.)

I find it all quite confusing.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 06:07:48 PM by Paynesgrey »

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 04:44:21 AM »
Confusing, but beautifully described Paynesgrey. Thank you for sharing. I feel like cutting and pasting your comments and your photo/drawings into a learning file. You could teach a workshop session on this and I'd come.

Why? Because it rings so true! Thank you for taking the time to share. And you perked my interest to read your characters myself! The morphing of your first character was like a mind-blowing growth that was gorgeous and you let us see it. Really cool.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:46:37 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 11:32:02 PM »
I tweaked the layout a little to make it easier to read... Not sure I'm fit to teach a workshop, just pointing out how my own process varies.  My characters are the boss of me.  They even talk their way out of the Red Shirt by convincing me they have great stand-alone stories of their own, and that *other* character looks sooooo good in red...

In any case, thanks for the kind words!  Gotta warn you, Shai and Zeddie only appear briefly in The Terror of Twelvety Town.  Shai's scenes are brief, and Zeddie's are brief, but critical.  (She gets to do my Conan-style grand ass whupping.)  Kadien doesn't appear in that one, but he has a lot of screen time in the next novella, Valorous Daughter.