Author Topic: DRESDEN FILES coming to BROADWAY!  (Read 8044 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
DRESDEN FILES coming to BROADWAY!
« on: April 01, 2014, 08:14:47 PM »
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
March 31, 2014

New York, NY

First, there were novels. Then it became a TV show. Then a comic book.  Now, Harry Dresden is going where no urban fantasy book series has gone before.  In Spring 2015, THE DRESDEN FILES conquers Broadway. 

This new musical takes inspiration from the events of "Dead Beat," the seventh book in the multiple #1 New York Times bestselling series.  Multiple-Tony Award Winning director and costume/puppet designer Julie Taymor (The Lion King, Titus, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark) was hand-picked for her experience bringing fantastical creatures to the Broadway stage.  Ms. Taymor mused, "I'm so grateful for this opportunity to realize a childhood dream of mine.  I pushed Disney to include a zombie T-Rex battle in The Lion King, but they preferred I remain more faithful to the film."

Author Jim Butcher expressed great enthusiasm for the selection.  He remarked, "She made a musical about Spider-Man.  That's awesome.  Hey, can this musical be a Spidey crossover?  How much dueling snark can you put in a song?"  Butcher then proceeded to sing the original 1967 cartoon theme song and "web" the interviewer with Silly String.

Frequent collaborators Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray, Catch Me If You Can) were tapped to create the music and lyrics, due to an industry reputation for writing "the sassiest lyrics ever."

The workshop begins April 14th starring Hugh Jackman (Oklahoma, The Boy From Oz) as Harry, Matt Bomer (8, Magic Mike) as Thomas, Christopher Fitzgerald (Young Frankenstein) as Butters, and Scarlett Johansson (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) as romantic interest Shiela/Lasciel, with Broadway great Terrence Mann (Cats) reprising his role as the voice of Bob.

"Dead Beat" is slated to open at the Nerderlander Theatre on April 1st, 2015.

Discuss this news on the forum!