Author Topic: Lurker 'Fesses Up  (Read 3717 times)

Offline Lumpy

• Lurker
  • Broadcaster, Writer, Cranky SOB
    • View Profile
    • ChristopherWatsonBooks.com
Lurker 'Fesses Up
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:05:52 PM »
Hi everyone.  My name's Chris, and I'm a lurker.  ("Hi, Chris!")

Been visiting the website, and this forum, for many years, and registered nearly two years ago.  Coming out into the light to tout my own wares.  The estimable Mr. Mickey Finn tells me this is the forum, so please don't shoot me.  I swear I'm a Butcher/Dresden fan and not at all an opportunistic, spammy hack.  (Okay, maybe opportunistic and a hack.  But in a nice way.)

I've written The Handyman.  It's a supernatural murder mystery set in Charleston, SC, about a redneck construction worker who, after losing his family in a terrible accident, discovers he a) has severe PTSD and b) is a psychic who can communicate with the dead -- one of whom is a young woman who wants him to prove that her supposed suicide was actually murder.

Naturally, it's a comedy.  Ish.  If you like your comedy on the darker side, with grits, pickup trucks and tattoos. 

I don't want to wear out my welcome, so I'll leave it at that.  I do invite y'all to check out the book trailer (I didn't even know there was such a thing until a few months ago).  You can check out sample chapters on Amazon and iTunes as well.

Dashing back into the shadows now.  Thanks, all…

Chris

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Lurker 'Fesses Up
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 02:13:41 AM »
Sounds interesting. I read the Amazon excerpt. I'll check it out.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Lumpy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 06:20:02 PM »
Thanks, Oz!  Much appreciated!

Chris

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:13 PM »
("Hi, Chris!")

Naturally, it's a comedy.  Ish.  If you like your comedy on the darker side, with grits, pickup trucks and tattoos.

I recognize your handle so it isn't that much of a lurker. Welcome. And I happen to adore grits, pickups and tattoos. But don't dash into the shadows. Gather round the campfire for some honest good baked beans and resulting community bodily functions as a result.

Please share all, reveal all, and don't be trying to mask over your knowledge or comfort level.

I look forward to hearing your opinions. The great Mickey refers you to us, then we're all deeply honored that he pointed you our way.

Hugs

Oh, yeah. Your tag line--our specialty is cranky old SOBs, but you already figured that out right?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:14:14 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 12:13:12 AM »
I read it last night and enjoyed it.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Lumpy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:05 PM »
Meg: Mmm.  Community flatulence.  Or as I like to call them: air biscuits.  (I knew there was a reason I was drawn here.)  Thanks for the welcome.

Oz: Splendid, my friend!  Anytime someone spends their own cash to take a risk on a stranger's claim, it's a big deal.  So thanks very much.  Please leave a review on Amazon.com as well, if you would.  The usual excessively hyperbolic praise will be fine.  Or a picture of a kitty.  Kitties are nice, too.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:11:31 PM by Lumpy »

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »
Welcome to our corner of the Forum! We're a nice group here, so you should fit right in!  ;D

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »
Hi everyone.  My name's Chris, and I'm a lurker.  ("Hi, Chris!")

Been visiting the website, and this forum, for many years, and registered nearly two years ago.  Coming out into the light to tout my own wares.  The estimable Mr. Mickey Finn tells me this is the forum, so please don't shoot me.  I swear I'm a Butcher/Dresden fan and not at all an opportunistic, spammy hack.  (Okay, maybe opportunistic and a hack.  But in a nice way.)

I've written The Handyman.  It's a supernatural murder mystery set in Charleston, SC, about a redneck construction worker who, after losing his family in a terrible accident, discovers he a) has severe PTSD and b) is a psychic who can communicate with the dead -- one of whom is a young woman who wants him to prove that her supposed suicide was actually murder.

I don't want to wear out my welcome, so I'll leave it at that.  I do invite y'all to check out the book trailer (I didn't even know there was such a thing until a few months ago).  You can check out sample chapters on Amazon and iTunes as well.

Dashing back into the shadows now.  Thanks, all…

Chris

Sit down and opine.  Also feel free to share your word count, work in progress over at the Arting hard on the Pen Monkey thread.  We help encourage ourselves by posting how much we've written every day, or weekend or whatever.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
Hey Lurker. haven't seen you posting anywhere. ;-) I refuse to click on your website until I see some post counts!  Ha! *prod* *prod*  Just consider me your older pushy sister... I have a great right hook though if you wanna fight.

And, out of curiosity, were you in a three day noontime crit workshop at DNRS with Michael A Stackpole that I attended several years ago?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 03:55:21 PM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Lumpy

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 02:01:28 AM »
Oh, but I did post, in your topic this morning, about characters.  So prodding unnecessary, although if you enjoy it, help yourself. ;)

If there was BBCode that worked here for embedding a video, I'd put the book trailer here to make it easier to visit me.  Alas, the links in my sig will have to do.

And no, that wasn't me at the workshop.  I'm an anti-social shut-in, as a rule.  Though you might see me at the grocery store.  Or the bondsman.