Author Topic: Research Libraries and Workshop question  (Read 1234 times)

Offline guiles73

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Research Libraries and Workshop question
« on: April 19, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
I was wondering how people handled character's workshops and libraries. The book states "Your home may have, for free, a single library, lab, workshop, or arcane library or sanctum of a quality equal to two steps lower than your resources." (Your Story, p140) So how do you guys let characters get the other things or improve on what they already have? Making a Resource roll seems kind of simple, but I am not sure how else to cover it.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Research Libraries and Workshop question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
I gave them books covering specific areas.  Here's a small library they 'found':
 - seven untitled books (four printed and three handwritten)
 - -    There's something...odd...about the covers of the four printed books.  You haven't figured out exactly what yet.
 - -    Two of the four printed books cover the darker side of ectomancy and beginning necromancy.  A third covers types of circles and the fourth covers wards.
 - -    One of the handwritten books appears to be entirely about life extension through necromancy, the other two cover healing and biomancy respectively.

Using them would be declaring and tagging an aspect, possibly modified by the "Apprentice Necromancer's Library" aspect describing their source.

I'd be wary of expanding a library with Resources.  It's not like books are available for sale often...maybe at an estate sale but they're probably competing with other wizards.  For the most part expansion would be via favors/payment or outright theft.  Any books that are easily found probably have some other 'price'...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 09:58:56 PM »
Most people tend to ignore the library rules, I find.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 02:26:07 AM »
Making a resource roll isn't that simple.  The difficulty has to be 2 shifts higher than the new quality of the library.  This will also take time.  Time to find a buyer and have the books shipped.

Just make sure you assign a time on the time chart and let them roll when it's appropriate.  It'll be easier to upgrade their library at first, but it will still take some time.  If they roll well they can assign extra shifts into making it take less time.

At a certain point they won't be able to expand their library any further unless they increase their resources or quest for quality books.  I would make questing the better option.  Make it take less time for a bit more risk.