Author Topic: posesivnes of charicters  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: posesivnes of charicters
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2014, 03:23:35 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I love my editor. She's wonderful. But the early changes I had to make on my first two books were pretty major. The first involved merging three different characters into one and cutting out my first two chapters, while the second was literally a complete re-write.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
Re: posesivnes of charicters
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 06:56:57 PM »
Speaking as someone who is writing in a shared universe (Battletech), my characters are part of the universe and can be used by other writers, just as I have used canon charcters in my own stories. Once my stories are published, my characters stop boing my exclusively and become part of the Battletech universe. I however, would ask an author if I could use their character, to be polite. I would expect any other suthor would return the favor and ask me before they used one of my characters.

That being said, I use someone else's characters sparingly, where I can use them in minor roles, but still have an effect on the story. Most of my characters are not movers and shakers, and are not really center to the universe....

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com