Author Topic: Jinni wish granting power  (Read 2826 times)

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
Jinni wish granting power
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:41:33 PM »
Has anyone created a custom power for Jinni wish granting thaumaturgy, also I was wondering if a negative wish granting jinni npc (granting what they asked for but not what they wanted) in a campaign would require lots of modification of the system to work?

Offline Blk4ce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Jinni wish granting power
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:47:09 PM »
I have a character like that, but he is simpler. Basically conjuration and transportation, with wish-granting being his trouble aspect. Oh, if you feel powerful get evothaum conjuration.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
I could probably knock something together if you want to see my take on the type of djinn that grants wishes. If you're looking for a sponsored magic, I could do that too. I'll edit one into the post once I finish it.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:54 PM »
I could probably knock something together if you want to see my take on the type of djinn that grants wishes. If you're looking for a sponsored magic, I could do that too. I'll edit one into the post once I finish it.

I can help, given that I know some of the source material intimately.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:21 PM »

Much abliged.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 10:23:53 PM »
Okay, here's the Sponsored Magic. It's kind of ramshackle and it's not particularly based in mythological accounts of the jinn, so take it with a grain of salt.

JINNI MAGIC [-4]
Description:You wield the power of a wish-granting jinn.
Sponsor:Theoretically God, but more directly one of the wide varieties of jinn that exist. If you yourself are one of these creatures, this magic is self-sponsored.
Agenda: To grant the wishes of others.
Evocation: Jinni Magic evocations typically involve the elemental affiliation of the jinni who sponsored the power-fire for ifrits, water for marids, air for djinni, and earth for shaitan.
Thaumaturgy: Within it's limited capacity, Jinni magic rituals are some of the most powerful in the world. Jinn have raised mighty palaces in moments, tranfigured armies into toads with a gesture, and tamed dragons with a word. Jinni magic can be used for almost anything, so long as it is not for the caster.
Evothaum:All rituals that can be cast with Jinni Magic can be cast with Evocation's speed and methods.
Extra Benefits: You gain a free +4 bonus to complexity/control of any Jinni Magic ritual if the person you are performing the ritual for (the "master") expends a Fate Point or willing takes on a point of Sponsor Debt.

The whole goal here is for you to not get the full power of this for yourself. Jinni magic is at it's most powerful when you're using it for someone else. I'll see if i can do a writeup of an actual djinni later.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 01:53:15 AM »
I think if I were to do jinni wishes, the real distinction from thaumaturgy would be the simplicity. The jinni just waves a hand or whatever, and stuff happens. That probably means Evothaum, and the ability to do thaumaturgy without symbolic links (what do you think that would be worth Refresh-wise)?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 02:06:16 AM »
I was going to stat up the genie as someone who could drop like 15+ shift rituals with zero preparation, with the Limitation that it could only be used to grant other people's wishes.

The best model for "i wave my hand and stuff happens" would probably be the Miracles/Miraculous Power custom powers over in the Statting Gods thread.

Offline umdshaman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 06:53:43 AM »
Has anyone created a custom power for Jinni wish granting thaumaturgy, also I was wondering if a negative wish granting jinni npc (granting what they asked for but not what they wanted) in a campaign would require lots of modification of the system to work?
I'm just going to put it out there that Evocation and Thaumaturgy are representations of mortal magic. There's a reason that a bunch of NPCs in the book are designated as having "Plot device-level magic".  That said...

What sort of Djinni are you looking at?

Disney's Aladdin: I think Hick's Sponsored Magic is pretty much perfect for a PC channeling the powers of a Genie although the various elements probably don't play into it.

Folklore (ie: Solomon): Jinn are beings of smokeless flame who are still capable of interacting with their environment. In the Qu'ran, Solomon binds them as servants until his death. In other traditions they are bound into bottles which force them to perform 3 tasks (important distinction) for whoever releases them. In those traditions, the 3rd task must be to return to the bottle (as they are already free upon opening the bottle). In either case I would suggest building the Jinn without any form of spellcraft at all; as this often where the drawback in "wishing" comes from. You want to be rich? The Jinn goes out and gets your riches. Of course those riches have to come from somewhere...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:55:26 AM by umdshaman »

Offline cowardlylion

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 10:07:24 PM »
The sponsored magic seems pretty cool. To tell you the truth I re-watched Babylon 5 and fancied a villain that offered pc's the unpalatable things what they wanted. Which is where the idea for running a djinn came from.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
I was going to stat up the genie as someone who could drop like 15+ shift rituals with zero preparation, with the Limitation that it could only be used to grant other people's wishes.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

The best model for "i wave my hand and stuff happens" would probably be the Miracles/Miraculous Power custom powers over in the Statting Gods thread.

I think that's a bit heavy-duty for a djinn.  Evothaum is already pretty much that IMO, just in a limited field.

Offline Dramin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:54 AM »
I did up a scion of the Djinn but since it was a scion it didn't have true wishes. I used Greater Glamours to simulate the wish with true seemings. It still required submerged but was actually a playable race.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 01:56:09 AM »
I did up a scion of the Djinn but since it was a scion it didn't have true wishes. I used Greater Glamours to simulate the wish with true seemings. It still required submerged but was actually a playable race.

Cool.

Given that OW suggests jann (djinn scion) should have Claws, Inhuman Speed, and maybe a Supernatural Sense, I think you can make the template playable at lower refresh. Something like...

MUSTS
Claws [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]

OPTIONS
Glamours [-2] or Greater Glamours [-4]
Gaseous Form [-3]
Supernatural Sense [-1]
upgrade to Supernatural Speed [-2]