Author Topic: Mythology Research  (Read 2869 times)

Offline TheCreaturezoid

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Mythology Research
« on: June 18, 2014, 03:48:02 PM »
Not quite sure I put this where it's supposed to be, but here goes. I'm looking for a few resources for various world mythologies, though I believe I may have the Norse and Celtic subsets covered, in book form. Anyone have any good books to pick up? I'm open to just about anything.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: Mythology Research
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
Had a workshop class with a storyteller and, of all things, a person with a PhD in mythology. Quite an interesting class. She has a big well known grant for Mythos research, so this isn't small potatoes. She does script advising for the film set. Have you tried searching out actual college text books on the subject? If you want it, I'll find her business card for you. Very approachable.

As you can imagine--she was pretty set on the Hero's Journey approach, which is not what JB considers a necessity. It seems to be a chicken/egg thing. Scripting from the beginning to the HJ can be unexciting for me, but there is a very good reason that those old myths (and Gilgamesh, Iliad, Odyssey, Beowulf etc.) have survived. They work. You can't beat that.

I was in the 'not my book, no way' camp. Then realized, wait it is a twisted Pinocchio story... And I suspect re-reading it with that in mind may open some additions that will deepen and improve the story.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline superpsycho

• Conversationalist
  • It’s about communication - ET phone home.
    • View Profile
    • our forum on
Re: Mythology Research
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 04:49:09 AM »
Not quite sure I put this where it's supposed to be, but here goes. I'm looking for a few resources for various world mythologies, though I believe I may have the Norse and Celtic subsets covered, in book form. Anyone have any good books to pick up? I'm open to just about anything.
Here's a few links of mythology resources. There are a number of books but which would be more useful depends on what you're looking for.
Mythology references
Best planet I've been on so far.