Author Topic: Is there any online GAME that is actually played, or is it all play-by-post?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline xebo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I recently finished playing my first round of "Card Hunter". It's basically an online game using user created maps, a bored, and character pieces. I won't link to it to avoid "on topic" controversy, but I was thinking that it would be cool to actually play online with other people using a regular gaming interface (Like an RPG).

Does anything like this exist?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
I believe there are quite a few people playing over Google Hangouts, Skype or other such platforms.

PbP and direct play are not even competing with each other, in my opinion. They are entirely different experiences, even if, on the surface, they are playing the same game.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Yeah, pbp is completely different.  There's an on-line real-time, on-line game that is looking for people.

This post has most of the info you need:
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,40201.0.html

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
[snip>I was thinking that it would be cool to actually play online with other people using a regular gaming interface (Like an RPG).

Does anything like this exist?
There are several VTTs available.  Fantasy Grounds, Roll20, OpenRPG, Gametable, Map Tool, and more.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer