Linked Events

• Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ: June 05, 2014

Author Topic: Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ - June 5  (Read 13705 times)

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ - June 5
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2014, 04:26:00 PM »
Eyeball Kid, OZ, and Fleegle -

I'm so excited!! I watched Jim's three hour Q & A from Seattle last night. Wow!

Eyeball, Jim's really good about keeping the Q & A's spoiler free. Only one got through in the Seattle recording.

OZ, I don't so much anymore. I've been sucked into the Facebook vortex.

For Thursday, I plan to head over to the Coach House which is on the Southwest Corner of Indian School and Goldwater Blvd, one block north of the Poisonned Pen on the other side of the street. You are all welcome to pop in! Then I figure to head over to the Poisoned Pen at about six-ish.

I'll be the one who looks like Murphy.  ;)
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
THANK YOU so much for posting this, I had no idea they put you in line in the order you bought the book from them!  I just called them and ordered my copy.  I'm 38th in line for Jim's signing!

Oooo... I have a feeling I'm gonna get a good number. I pre-bought mine two weeks ago.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
So wish I could be there, but Iowa is lovely at the moment!

WARNING: I showed up for Brandon Sanderson's autograph session at the Poisoned Pen a full 40 minutes early. Barely got the LAST SEAT. My autograph slot was 135 or something. It was live feed so most people were outside on the sidewalk watching and listening. Parking is an issue as well. Some nearby businesses allow evening parking in their lots.

I asked them when would have been a good time to come and was told about 1 hour early.

Great place, lovely people.

(And they have an off-shoot - Poisoned Pen Press. I signed a two book deal with their new YA crime fiction imprint Poisoned Pencil. The first book will be out Jan or Feb 2015.)

Congratulations, Meg! I'm so bummed you won't be in town, but thrilled you got a book deal! Whooo hooo!

Offline Loser21

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 05:47:16 PM »
I just got a number for line today (Wednesday 04/June) by ordering a copy over the phone at poisoned pen.  Got number 45 if that is any indication of attendance. 

They can take credit card over phone for orders.
Poisoned Pen:  +1(480)947-2974

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 05:48:24 PM »
Eyeball Kid, OZ, and Fleegle -

I'm so excited!! I watched Jim's three hour Q & A from Seattle last night. Wow!

Eyeball, Jim's really good about keeping the Q & A's spoiler free. Only one got through in the Seattle recording.

For Thursday, I plan to head over to the Coach House which is on the Southwest Corner of Indian School and Goldwater Blvd, one block north of the Poisonned Pen on the other side of the street. You are all welcome to pop in! Then I figure to head over to the Poisoned Pen at about six-ish.

I'll be the one who looks like Murphy.  ;)

I'm watching that same video right now! Best camera work I've ever seen for one of these things. I'm trying to tailor my questions accordingly to avoid repetitive asks, but these Seattle fans are really, really nerdy! :)

Through dishonest means, I've already managed to read Skin Game, so I'm ready and set for any spoilers that may drip out during the Q&A. Honestly, I wonder how strict this will be considering we're more than a week past the release date.

I purchased a book over the phone, so I've gotta pick that up as soon as I get there. I'm driving up from Tucson and depending what time I get there, I might stop by Coach House. I'll be the one in the green McAnally's t-shirt.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 06:02:19 PM »
I'm watching that same video right now! Best camera work I've ever seen for one of these things. I'm trying to tailor my questions accordingly to avoid repetitive asks, but these Seattle fans are really, really nerdy! :)

Through dishonest means, I've already managed to read Skin Game, so I'm ready and set for any spoilers that may drip out during the Q&A. Honestly, I wonder how strict this will be considering we're more than a week past the release date.

I purchased a book over the phone, so I've gotta pick that up as soon as I get there. I'm driving up from Tucson and depending what time I get there, I might stop by Coach House. I'll be the one in the green McAnally's t-shirt.

Jim and I discussed it before the release, and he said no spoilery questions until Phoenix Comic Con. Scottsdale should be spoiler-free.

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 06:06:43 PM »
Jim and I discussed it before the release, and he said no spoilery questions until Phoenix Comic Con. Scottsdale should be spoiler-free.

Cool, thanks for the heads up! I don't have any spoilery questions planned, but thanks to your info I can plan some spoilery stuff for the con this weekend! So excited for the next few days!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
Cool, thanks for the heads up! I don't have any spoilery questions planned, but thanks to your info I can plan some spoilery stuff for the con this weekend! So excited for the next few days!

I'd recommend playing it by ear. Before you ask a question, ask the room if they're cool with you asking a spoilery question.  If it seems that a lot of people in the room haven't read the book, be respectful and try to flag Jim down in the hall or whatever.  If it's just a small number, they can hold their ears and go LA LA LA LA LA for a bit. :D

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
I am glad I reread this thread: I bought my book but didn't have ticket. I just called for it and I am in the 40s in terms of where I will be in the line.

Also, I have to try to rethink my question so it is minimally spoilery....

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 03:10:38 AM »
For some reason I was thinking the Poisoned Pen was Friday night. I have other obligations Thursday. Oh well. I'm planning attend several of Jim's panels and the Spotlight on Jim Butcher event.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2014, 06:37:03 AM »
For some reason I was thinking the Poisoned Pen was Friday night. I have other obligations Thursday. Oh well. I'm planning attend several of Jim's panels and the Spotlight on Jim Butcher event.
Are you seeing anything at the Comicon for the author events? I see the stuff for panels that Jim is on, but then a big TBA for Friday for "author event"? Is this a signing that will be held sometime on Friday?

Offline crystaril

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2014, 07:04:09 AM »
I will see you guys there! Gonna try to get in an hour early at least. I'm 39th I think. My question is entirely non-spoilery so I'm clear on that!  Man I'm so excited. 

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2014, 01:32:46 PM »
Are you seeing anything at the Comicon for the author events? I see the stuff for panels that Jim is on, but then a big TBA for Friday for "author event"? Is this a signing that will be held sometime on Friday?
I don't know. I see that Jim is scheduled to be signing books from 12 to 1 on Friday and Saturday and from 1:30 to 2:30 on Sunday. Does anyone know how many books are allowed? One? Three? In addition to the spotlight on Jim Butcher, I want to see the Magic Systems: Urban Fantasy vs Epic Fantasy panel and maybe either the comedy one or the setting one. Other than that I think I'll just play it by ear. I wouldn't mind seeing a panel with Rothfuss or Modesitt and there are a few panels that actually sound interesting because of the subject matter rather than the authors that are on them. This is my first Comicon so I'm not sure whether I should be scheduling everything that I can or keeping my schedule as open as possible. I really want to spend some time just people watching.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »
Cenphx and Crystril - you're also welcome to join us at that Coach House if you get there early enough. Between 5 & 6 should be a good window if you can make it!

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2014, 03:28:47 PM »
Cenphx and Crystril - you're also welcome to join us at that Coach House if you get there early enough. Between 5 & 6 should be a good window if you can make it!
Ok, probably shouldn't admit this, but I am the one person in a group of friends that gets all worked up about not getting a good seat and makes everyone get to the location waaaaaaay too early. I think it's some form of undiagnosed anxiety. :) So, I may be trying to get there a wee bit earlier. I want to miss the dreaded 5 pm driving window. On the other hand, if it's dead at the book store and I have no anxiety about my seat, then I will definitely try to come over to the Coach House. Thanks for the invite!!!