Linked Events

• Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ: June 05, 2014

Author Topic: Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ - June 5  (Read 13700 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ - June 5
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:51:01 PM »
Thursday, June 5 at 7:00 PM
Poisoned Pen
4014 N Goldwater Blvd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85251

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at the Poisoned Pen in Scottsdale, AZ - June 5
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »
That's good to know. If for some reason I can't get off work for the Comicon, I can see him at the Poisoned Pen.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 01:53:56 PM »
It seems kinda greedy to want to do both, but The Poisoned Pen seems like it will be a smaller venue, like the difference between seeing an all acoustic concert with 50 people versus a concert at Coachella with waaaay more people.

Am I thinking about this wrong? Do you really want to save the Poisoned Pen venue for people who absolutely cannot go to the convention?

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 03:41:03 PM »
I went to see Jim at the Poisoned Pen a few years ago when he was here. (Small Favor had just come out if I remember right.) It is a great store and I it was (and still is ) only the second time I had seen him live so it was a lot of fun but it's not a large building and it was standing room only. I don't know if the fact that he is also at Comicon will result in a smaller, more intimate crowd or if the fact that his popularity has steadily increased will result in an even larger crowd.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 08:02:12 PM »
It is hard to say how large the crowd will be at the Pen.  They can get a lot of people in there if needed.  They should be doing a webcast of the event. I need to double check on that and will post the link.  I'm assuming he will likely be there fairly late, so have not scheduled him for anything first thing at the convention on Friday.

Offline Fleegle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
For anyone looking to go to this event, I wanted to post The Poisoned Pen's policy on book signings:

Admission to the signing line at our events comes with the purchase of the author’s new book from The Poisoned Pen. The purchase of a new book allows you to get up to three personal books signed if the author is willing which we cannot guarantee in every case.

There is no charge for this service. In some cases the author will sign more than three copies in you return to the end of the signing line.To avoid disappointment, check ahead.

This is taken from their Store Policies page.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
For anyone looking to go to this event, I wanted to post The Poisoned Pen's policy on book signings:

This is taken from their Store Policies page.

Thanks for reposting!  I think it's highly likely that Jim will cap his number to three total books per trip through the line, including "Skin Game," as opposed to three plus SG, due to time constraints and the limits of the human body. :D

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »
They currently have him asterisked (*) that the 3 book limit will be enforced for his signing.

I am beyond excited! I work about 2 miles from The Poisoned Pen now (since January). This is the first signing I'm actually going to be able to attend!!! Whoooo hoooo!

Anyone want to join me at the Coach House for a bite and a beverage while I burn the two hours between work and the signing?
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
MSD!! I didn't know you posted any more. I actually splurged and bought a ticket to Comicon. I haven't decided whether I'm going to the Poisoned Pen signing. I hate to take room from someone that can't make it to Comicon. On the other hand it's always fun meeting new fans of Jim's work.

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 05:15:03 PM »
I'm going to the signing and possibly getting into Comic-Con, for at least part of Friday and Saturday.

This will be my first signing, so I wonder how I'm going to cope with buying the book 10 days after it's released. Surely people at the signing/con will be asking super-spoilery questions regarding Skin Game. I'm not really in a financial position to buy one copy of the book next week and ANOTHER copy at the signing (since we have to purchase the book to attend). Thoughts, ideas? Whatever-shall-I-do?!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
I'm going to the signing and possibly getting into Comic-Con, for at least part of Friday and Saturday.

This will be my first signing, so I wonder how I'm going to cope with buying the book 10 days after it's released. Surely people at the signing/con will be asking super-spoilery questions regarding Skin Game. I'm not really in a financial position to buy one copy of the book next week and ANOTHER copy at the signing (since we have to purchase the book to attend). Thoughts, ideas? Whatever-shall-I-do?!

Call the bookstore and ask if you can purchase a copy from them.  If you're local, you can pick it up at the store, and if not, you should be able to have it sent to you.  Many independent bookstores are happy to do this.

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:26:55 AM »
Ah geez guys. I leave AZ on Wednesday. My book will be waiting for him to sign. Wish I could be there! It is a great indie bookstore. One of the top 20 in the US. I was at Brandon Sanderson's signing there. Hugs to all of you. When in town, I head to the Mustang Library Writers Crit group. Great people. Swing by sometime if you can, but I won't be back until November. I opted for WyrdCon instead and I've got to get back to work. :-(

Buy you book early and get an earlier sign number card.

I'm waiting for audible download at midnight.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 03:30:17 AM by meg_evonne »
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Fleegle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »
Buy you book early and get an earlier sign number card.

THANK YOU so much for posting this, I had no idea they put you in line in the order you bought the book from them!  I just called them and ordered my copy.  I'm 38th in line for Jim's signing! 

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »
So wish I could be there, but Iowa is lovely at the moment!

WARNING: I showed up for Brandon Sanderson's autograph session at the Poisoned Pen a full 40 minutes early. Barely got the LAST SEAT. My autograph slot was 135 or something. It was live feed so most people were outside on the sidewalk watching and listening. Parking is an issue as well. Some nearby businesses allow evening parking in their lots.

I asked them when would have been a good time to come and was told about 1 hour early.

Great place, lovely people.

(And they have an off-shoot - Poisoned Pen Press. I signed a two book deal with their new YA crime fiction imprint Poisoned Pencil. The first book will be out Jan or Feb 2015.)
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline EyeballKid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 11:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, meg_evonne! I'm gonna try to get there at least an hour early.