Linked Events

• Jim in Chicago, IL: June 04, 2014

Author Topic: Jim in Chicago (Skokie), IL - June 4  (Read 19116 times)

Offline Longfellow

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jim in Chicago (Skokie), IL - June 4
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 03:06:33 PM »
Question for those that have attended Jim Butcher book signing before:

How are they organized?  From the Q&A's I've seen online, it appears like it starts out with the Q&A, then Jim signs.  Is there a chance for photos?  Or is that when you get your book signed?

Thanks!
Got malk?

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 04:16:48 PM »
Some people record or take photos during the Q&A and I've seen some people have their photo taken with Jim (quickly) when it's their turn in the signing line.  I guess checking with the venue would be a good idea, since each venue might have its own rules in place.

I believe that this Barnes and Noble requires you to buy the book there to be admitted to the signing.

I think that in the past (correct me if I'm wrong), Jim has been willing to sign three things per person, per turn.  But again, this would be something that the venue could probably change if it wants to run things differently.

(I mentioned this briefly in another thread but, for anyone not familiar with the Skokie area - Skokie has two Barnes and Nobles.  Depending on how you GPS or Mapquest your way to the event, make sure it's taking you to the B&N at Old Orchard Center and not the one on Touhy).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:22:05 PM by Chiroptera »
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 06:29:30 PM »
Some people record or take photos during the Q&A and I've seen some people have their photo taken with Jim (quickly) when it's their turn in the signing line.  I guess checking with the venue would be a good idea, since each venue might have its own rules in place.

I believe that this Barnes and Noble requires you to buy the book there to be admitted to the signing.

I think that in the past (correct me if I'm wrong), Jim has been willing to sign three things per person, per turn.  But again, this would be something that the venue could probably change if it wants to run things differently.

(I mentioned this briefly in another thread but, for anyone not familiar with the Skokie area - Skokie has two Barnes and Nobles.  Depending on how you GPS or Mapquest your way to the event, make sure it's taking you to the B&N at Old Orchard Center and not the one on Touhy).

I have been to B&N signings where this was originally the case, and I called the store and discussed my nook purchase with them and they ammended their stated policy to allow for this and eventually recipts for any B&N recipt (online and other B&N retail sites) for that book.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Longfellow

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
Yeah, I'm not going to wait until June 4 to buy the book, in fact I'll have read it completely by then.  I'll just have to buy it from my local B&N and bring the receipt. 
Got malk?

Offline Sir Crash

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Site
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 06:31:53 AM »
I and my Lady will be in attendance, for both the signing and we would like to meet up with the Forumites that will be in attendance. :-)
Knighted Servant of Milady WickedSnuggleFaerie, Queen of Hellfire

God of Suicidal Devotion, Archaic Chivalry, and Brain Dead Taco Bell Dogs

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 11:34:46 PM »
I think I work until 3:45 that day, so I'll be heading Skokieward after that.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 04:12:17 AM »
OK....

After reviewing the options, menus and locations of quite a few restaurants near the B&N in Skokie, I have a couple of suggestions...

Johnny Rockets (American classics like burgers and shakes, not many vegetarian options), which is right behind/next to B&N;
Frontera Fresco (fresh/modern Mexican with more vegetarian options), which is just around the corner from B&N;
Epic Burger (few veggie option, not as close but still in the mall)

Meet at 3-5ish, then head over to buy books, get a seat or whatever needs to happen pre-signing.
My vote is for Johnny Rockets since it is close, is inexpensive and has french fries.

I'll bring the "Hi! I'm....." nametags and warn the staff to expect us... maybe make a sign with an arrow to help find us in the HUGE place.  ::) ;)

All I ask is that anyone who would like to go or has a preference for a place let me know so I can have a fuzzy head count to reserve some tables or whatever.  I'll finalize everything (as meager as that may be) next weekend.

Sir Crash +1, Mij +1, Me,.... MX? Chiroptera make it in time after work? Lany?
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 03:11:35 AM »
I expect I would be there between 4:30 and 5:00, depending on what kind of traffic I run into.  I'll probably have bought the book already since the store isn't far from me.

Offline Sir Crash

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Site
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 04:55:56 AM »
Johnny Rockets sounds perfect to me and Courtney. We are planning on being there at 3pm.  :)
Knighted Servant of Milady WickedSnuggleFaerie, Queen of Hellfire

God of Suicidal Devotion, Archaic Chivalry, and Brain Dead Taco Bell Dogs

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 03:45:36 PM »
Johnny Rockets sounds good, but I may be more a game time decision.  I will be leaving here to be there when it opens to see how things are gonna go and make some plans as I plan to record the event, barring specifically asked not to do so.

I will be wearing my "Dresden is my Hero" button I got at another signing, but I can send my cell phone #, or other social media if preferred (have twitter/facebook/google+ rarely use but will for this :) ) to anyone that wants it for coordination and such.

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
I will be going to the signing and would love to meet up beforehand, but I doubt I'll be able to get there early enough - doing some sightseeing during the day with my daughters and a couple of friends.

Not sure what I'll be wearing, but I should be relatively easy to spot... well, my 6'2" daughter is easy to spot; I'll be with her  :D

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 04:49:10 PM »
BOOKIE? BOOKIE!!!! Really?
WOOT!
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
I think I'll just go ahead and say Johnny Rockets 3-5pm. (ish)
It will make it much easier. Since I have no idea how many people might show up other than the ones who replied, or anyone who might be there by chance, I will only ask the restaurant to set aside table for 15 people (or so). Mid afternoon isn't busy so it shouldn't be a problem if we need to add more.

Everyone will be responsible for their own food orders etc.
I have no idea what I will be wearing. I am pondering using Twitter to keep everyone informed the day of- unless people want to send me a cell# and I can just send group texts and post here. I'm not too worried since this is informal and all that.  8)

Everyone is welcome, of course. I'm looking forward to finally putting some faces to names after... 7 years!!!! (For some of you...)

Offline Legal_Assassin

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
Damn, not enough time to ask for Wednesday off from work.  :(

Wish they'd post these announcements earlier.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2014, 05:46:08 PM »
Damn, not enough time to ask for Wednesday off from work.  :(

Wish they'd post these announcements earlier.

March 12th?