Linked Events

• Jim at Murder By The Book in Houston, TX: May 31, 2014

Author Topic: Jim at Murder By The Book in Houston, TX - May 31  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Jim at Murder By The Book in Houston, TX - May 31
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:33:25 PM »
Saturday, May 31 at 5:00 PM
Murder By the Book
2342 Bissonnet St.
Houston, TX 77005

Details here:
  • A copy of Skin Game must be purchased in order to get anything signed.  When you purchase a copy of the book, we'll give you a line number.  After the talk/Q&A, we'll use the line numbers to organize the signing portion the event.  We will start giving out numbers on Tuesday, May 27.
  • Seating and parking are first come, first served.
  • More details to come.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 06:57:17 PM by Priscellie »

Offline TXBecky

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Murder By The Book in Houston, TX - May 31
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 06:50:51 PM »
Great!  I had heard he would be there, so glad it's now confirmed!

Offline cass

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 07:44:29 PM »
Well, now I *have* to take that internship......

Offline btreece26

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 03:44:38 AM »
I'm glad Jim will be back in Houston this year, i wasn't able to make to the last book signing.. Do you think we will be able to get a photo with Jim?

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:15:12 PM »
btreece26 - I don't know the rules by the venue, but Jim is (almost) always up for taking a picture with a fan.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline LazerWulf

• Participant
  • Butters is my role model
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:38 PM »
I've been to a couple of Brandon Sanderson signings at MBtB, and have several photos to prove it. (So they're cool with it if Jim is...)

A few tips:

The best way to get a low line number is to call them as soon as the store opens on release day (10AM CDT). You can also pre-order from their website and request a line number (or just an inscription if you can't make the actual event, btw), but since they hand out numbers starting on release day, the pre-orders don't get their numbers until they have a chance to fullfil them, which usually isn't until after that first rush of in-store customers (and a phone order is an easy way to jump to the front of that line...)

Also, in order to keep the line moving, you are typically limited to 5 books signed (4 + the new release), but, and this was at least true for Brandon, after all the numbers have been called, you can get back in line and have the rest of your books signed. That can be anywhere from an hour to two hours after he starts signing, though.
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong
O'Toole's Principle: Murphy was an optimist

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 02:35:41 AM »
I've been to a couple of Brandon Sanderson signings at MBtB, and have several photos to prove it. (So they're cool with it if Jim is...)

A few tips:

The best way to get a low line number is to call them as soon as the store opens on release day (10AM CDT). You can also pre-order from their website and request a line number (or just an inscription if you can't make the actual event, btw), but since they hand out numbers starting on release day, the pre-orders don't get their numbers until they have a chance to fullfil them, which usually isn't until after that first rush of in-store customers (and a phone order is an easy way to jump to the front of that line...)

Also, in order to keep the line moving, you are typically limited to 5 books signed (4 + the new release), but, and this was at least true for Brandon, after all the numbers have been called, you can get back in line and have the rest of your books signed. That can be anywhere from an hour to two hours after he starts signing, though.

Great tips, thanks!  Jim usually limits folks to three books per person per trip through the line, though.

Offline Hazer

• Participant
  • If I'm awake, Evil is afoot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:09:31 PM »
I was there for Changes. Assuming the venue hasn't had a major rule change they'll line you up by numbers in blocks of 20 or so, you'll go up, get up to 3 books signed (Skin Game + up to 2 more) and if you have a camera or someone is willing to loan you one you'll be able to get a pic snapped (I got pics of me, my 2 friends as they went through and then a guy and his son when they went through since they asked)

Sucks I'm gonna miss this. :( I have to work that Saturday and I can't take the day off since my co-worker is already on vacation at that time...

Offline TXBecky

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »
FYI,  MBTB has updated a few details of his signing next Saturday:

A copy of Skin Game must be purchased in order to get anything signed.  When you purchase a copy of the book, we'll give you a line number.  After the talk/Q&A, we'll use the line numbers to organize the signing portion the event.  We will start giving out numbers on Tuesday, May 27.

Fans are allowed to have 2 books signed at a time.  Should they have more than 2 books, they will need to go through the line as many times as it takes until everything is signed.

Butcher will allow photos, but fans will have to lean in to take a picture rather than go behind the signing table. 

Seating and parking are first come, first served.   

More details to come. 

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 03:54:11 AM »
Was this event video'd? I only caught the tail end of the Q&A...

Offline abott

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 03:35:52 AM »
This was a great event, but the venue is SO small for such a big crowd!  I managed to find myself a corner in which to lurk for the Q & A, and I had awesome line #6 for the signing (thanks to hubby, who started trying to call as soon as MBTB opened  :-* ).  What this meant was that the event started at 5 p.m., and I was out the front door at 5:47.  Felt kinda anticlimactic ;)  Son, hubby and I went and had dinner, got home, settled in, and I glanced at the Facebook signing notification...they were JUST CALLING line numbers 200 to 220!?!  In the end, they called the last numbers at around 8:15 p.m.  I've gotta admit, I don't know how JB kept signing for almost 3 hours in the ridiculous heat of that store...he's a better man than I, Gunga Din!  Really appreciate the endurance and patience this required.  Hope he got a hot meal at the end of that night.

On a funny side note, I asked the slightly grumpy line monitor lady if I could ask Jim to sign my tote bag, to which she replied, "NO! Well, I don't know, but probably not."  Fortunately, Jim was much more gracious about it and signed the bag.  He also said he didn't know about the quote on the bag, and seemed rather chuffed about it.  In his words, "I rip off the GREATEST people!"  Attaching an explanatory pic  :)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 03:45:38 AM »
This was a great event, but the venue is SO small for such a big crowd!  I managed to find myself a corner in which to lurk for the Q & A, and I had awesome line #6 for the signing (thanks to hubby, who started trying to call as soon as MBTB opened  :-* ).  What this meant was that the event started at 5 p.m., and I was out the front door at 5:47.  Felt kinda anticlimactic ;)  Son, hubby and I went and had dinner, got home, settled in, and I glanced at the Facebook signing notification...they were JUST CALLING line numbers 200 to 220!?!  In the end, they called the last numbers at around 8:15 p.m.  I've gotta admit, I don't know how JB kept signing for almost 3 hours in the ridiculous heat of that store...he's a better man than I, Gunga Din!  Really appreciate the endurance and patience this required.  Hope he got a hot meal at the end of that night.

On a funny side note, I asked the slightly grumpy line monitor lady if I could ask Jim to sign my tote bag, to which she replied, "NO! Well, I don't know, but probably not."  Fortunately, Jim was much more gracious about it and signed the bag.  He also said he didn't know about the quote on the bag, and seemed rather chuffed about it.  In his words, "I rip off the GREATEST people!"  Attaching an explanatory pic  :)

I don't believe attachments are working at present.  Can you upload the image to photobucket or a similar free image hosting site?

Offline abott

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
I don't believe attachments are working at present.  Can you upload the image to photobucket or a similar free image hosting site?

Okay, let's give this a try...