Author Topic: Research question - antique cameras and film  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Research question - antique cameras and film
« on: February 22, 2014, 01:52:38 PM »
Here's a research question that someone hopefully knows the answer to.

What kind of chemicals were used to develop the early (as in late 1890's early 1900's) types of photographic films. I know Kodak originally had so you sent in the whole camera and they sent it backed with a new roll of film for 100 photos in it, but you could also develop stuff by yourself.

And I have already ruled out the Cyanotype photography in this case, as it would not be practial for the thing I had in mind in my steampunk story.

Yes, I can do some handwavium, but i prefer to have a solid understanding of the rules and possibilities before changing stuff

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Research question - antique cameras and film
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
If you still need this, there are several options historically, as many different process were competing for use in that time.  Each has Pro's and Con's, many of which were regional as they had to do with the expense/availability of materials and/or climate based complications.  Most popular as far as I know were Daguerreotype andTinType, both of which are some various of a metal plate treated with various recipes of chemicals to make it light-sensitive, though the first photographs were actually on paper or white leather.  The various advancements were mostly related to decreasing the required exposure time, which was necessary for use in portraits. 

What are your story restraints.  Pretty much anything behind a lens and treated with generic "salts" and "vapors" could be said to work, if you arent planning on actively exploring the resources that go into it.  The major differences in terms of storytelling would be exposure time, plate material (metal or organic) and durability.  Daguerreotypes for example were on expensive silver plates, but were so fragile they could be buffed off and reused (great for astronomers), or else needed to be stored behind glass for protection.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 09:35:43 PM »
Thanx. I did just find some stuff that showed what I was after. Daguerrotype and Tintyepe would be too early.

The idea here is that the main character have a small hidden camera, like this one and needs to use it to photograph some secret documents.

Ended up with some "handwavium" in how to do the development. In real life you needed pitch darkness for somethings (red safety light is not enough). Found a brand name of a liquid that was in use at the appropriate time.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 12:14:42 PM »
....That watch is quite possibly the coolest thing Ive ever seen.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain