Author Topic: Technology in the Nevernever  (Read 2191 times)

Offline MagPei

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Technology in the Nevernever
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:28:05 AM »
Does technology work in the nevernever?  Cars, guns, etc?

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Technology in the Nevernever
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:50:55 AM »
The answer is... sometimes.

According to Harry there are places in the Nevernever where gunpowder won't ignite and during Proven Guilty, when the gang invade Arctis Tor, Murphy's and Thomas' guns encounter trouble pretty quickly. So guns can work for a while, they're pretty ripe for compels.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline borticus

• Participant
  • FOR ZALORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 12:42:12 AM »
It's not as simple as yes or no because the answer is yes and no. Harry has said that physics in the Nn is wonky (from our perspective). There are places it can work and places it won't, and even then it's possible that it won't even be consistent what technology can work where.

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 05:02:18 PM »
Probably not. Or someone would have opened a pizzeria in the Nevernever ages ago.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 05:51:02 PM »
Probably not. Or someone would have opened a pizzeria in the Nevernever ages ago.

The TMNT beg to differ.  And the TMNT are canon in the DresdenVerse, right up there with Spiderman.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:56:19 PM »
It might be a cool place to develop tech...or pseudo tech, like lightsabers and replicators ;)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »
Those things already exist in the Nevernever.  Somewhere.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:19:04 PM »
Yes, but do they exist because someone thought them up or did someone think them up because they exist...and more importantly, will they work in the mortal world or will they be just as unreliable as mortal tech is in the nevernever?

It's a neat spin on a technomancer who invents all his devices in the Nevernever.   Especially if he has demesne and can manipulate physics to get his devices up and running.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 08:25:13 PM »
I believe that the official stance is that everything exists in the Nevernever, known to humanity or otherwise.
Slough

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 08:34:45 PM »
like lightsabers
Reminds me of the Jedi KotC I started to create a while back. :D

Baking Pizza doesn't even require much technology. A good oven, preferably wood burning, and you're good to go. Granted, even fire can behave weirdly in the NN, but as a primal force, it should be relatively stable except for the weirdest parts of the NN.

A lot of things would probably work for a while. I think it is sort of like hexing (albeit not exactly). The older it is, the more reliant it will be. A windup clock would still work, when an electrical one is already showing treehouse past cinnamon o'clock.
The closer the region of the nevernever is to the mortal realm, the more it is probably bound to follow the mortal realms natural laws. Not always, but I would use that as a rule of thumb.
There's also a difference between not working and working in a weird way. A gun could stop working, because the area you are in doesn't allow for explosions. Or an explosion could result in turning any metal it touches into chocolate pudding.

Regarding the "everything exists" thing, I would think that's only sort of true. I think a lot of things from mythology are the same thing from the nevernever, only with different names attached to it, depending on the culture it comes from. I like this for two reasons. One, it makes things easier, by reducing the number of things that actually have to exist. Two, it allows for some really nice twisting of existing mythology, and that's something I love to do. :D
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 08:44:15 PM »
It might be a cool place to develop tech...or pseudo tech, like lightsabers and replicators ;)
True, but unless you plan to develop it in the same place you use it forever, the lack of anything so reliable as Physics would make the fruits of development very limited.  Which is why Odin relocated Valhala to Oslow, methinks.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:37:18 PM »
A windup clock would still work, when an electrical one is already showing treehouse past cinnamon o'clock.
Oh god that just cracked me up! I need to bring something like that to the table sometime!