Author Topic: Changeling the Lost?  (Read 1249 times)

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
Changeling the Lost?
« on: January 28, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »
Changeling the Lost is my favourite WOD game, though I use a highly hacked version to present more diversity amongst the True Fae i.e. more benevolent members and to amp up the urban fantasy feel. However, I love DFRPG and love it's portrayal of magic users i.e. wizards, focused practitioners, hedge-witches (custom template I made for middle ground spellcasters) and minor talents, well over Mage-pretty-much-a-god the awakening.

Do you think DFRPG could handle Changeling the Lost with Pledges, Contracts, Talecrafting, Hedgespinning etc. or is Changeling the Lost to complex for FATE?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Changeling the Lost?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
I know little about Changeling, but I doubt it's too complex for DFRPG.

Deadmanwalking tried adapting some WoD splats to DFRPG ages ago, but I think he was working with Dreaming Changelings rather than Lost Changelings. In any case, you can see his take here and here.

Offline OwleIsohos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Changeling the Lost?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
I think the DFRPG system could definitely handle C:tL.  I really love Changeling the Lost, but I haven't played it in a long time because FATE mechanics are just so much better.  If you want any help converting the system over, let me know!  I'd be happy to lend a hand.

I think Pledges could probably be handled with aspects - when you make a Pledge, all parties to the Pledge now have that Pledge as an aspect on them.  That Pledge could then be invoked (to represent boons granted, glamour gained, etc.) or compelled (to represent favors/tasks/alliances you've agreed to) just like any other aspects.  Breaking a Pledge would probably give all other parties to that Pledge a free tag on the Oathbreaker's Pledge aspect.

For Contracts, it really depends on how you want to do it.  Perhaps pick some appropriate stat and have it determine how many dots of Contracts someone can have, and have another stat determine what the highest level of Contract you can use is?  Maybe charge Refresh?

Talecrafting actually works remarkably well with DFRPG - when you're Talecrafting, you're basically just declaring an aspect on the scene and then invoking it for effect.

I don't remember as much about the Hedgespinning system, but it could probably be handled like a thaumaturgy ritual in that you would need to spend time gathering the right ingredients etc beforehand.  Only you'd likely be rolling Crafts instead of magic.