Author Topic: What have Harry's friends endured? [SPOILERS for all books & short stories]  (Read 17759 times)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Will and Georgia got aphrodisiac poisononing by ingesting the blood of a White Court Vampire (Madeline Raith) in Turn Coat.  I don't think they minded it though.

The Alphas - I think at the end of Summer Knight Will told Harry that the Alphas had needed a bunch of stitches after the battle with the faeries to get Harry to the stone table. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 03:47:16 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline marc baggins

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
IMO, I think that debating what can and can't be laid at Harry's feet is kinda missing the point.  Guilt junkie that he is, he probably blames himself when someone he said hello to once twenty years ago gets a damned paper cut.  It's both his greatest strength and greatest flaw as a character.

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
"Even Hand" Marcone, Gard and Hendricks all got knocked around, Justine had been kidnapped.
Justine got slashed in the abdomen by the Skinwalker in TC.
I wasn't sure if we wanted to include Marcone & company, since they aren't really Harry's /friends/, but I've thrown them on the second post.  Thanks for the Justine reminder.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Toot-toot 
  • Got swatted by the Skin Walker in SmF
  • Took a stab or slash wound and was generally smacked around by Lacuna in CD
                         -

Groucho Marx

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
IMO, I think that debating what can and can't be laid at Harry's feet is kinda missing the point.  Guilt junkie that he is, he probably blames himself when someone he said hello to once twenty years ago gets a damned paper cut.  It's both his greatest strength and greatest flaw as a character.
again, this thread isn't to lay blame on Harry at all, but to recognize that he's not the only "good guy" being smacked around over the course of the series.

Thanks, KurtinStGeorge for the additional info.

I'll probably need to add an entry for Morgan, if I'm including Carmichael.

Offline mattrox

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
 Its Harry's fault all of his friends are still alive and damaged instead of just dead.  Life is about suffering, but it is also hard to be overly empathetic with characters who are always viewed from the third person.  While being in Harry's narrative his pain is more real since he is describing all the stuff that is happening to him in great detail

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I wasn't sure if we wanted to include Marcone & company, since they aren't really Harry's /friends/, but I've thrown them on the second post.  Thanks for the Justine reminder.

I can't remember all of their injuries in Even Hand, but Marcoen and company were in need of medical attention by story's end.

Some more - Carlos got knocked unconscious in Dead Beat
Thomas got strangled and possibly electrocuted by Elaine in WN
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I can't remember all of their injuries in Even Hand, but Marcoen and company were in need of medical attention by story's end.

Some more - Carlos got knocked unconscious in Dead Beat
Thomas got strangled and possibly electrocuted by Elaine in WN

Carlos got hospitalize in WK.

Luccio got transfered into a younger body, which provide the opening for her mental manipulation.

Which result in: Morgan's  death, Aleron LaFortier's death, Unknown number of WC member's death, A few warden's death during the confrontation on demonreach and Luccio's psychological wounds.

Oh yeah, All of the younger wardens are sort of mind rape , so that might count as well. Some of those younger wardens are Harry's friends, though most of them are off screen.

Thinking about it, the WC got quite a beating during TC.

The plague attack Ariana placed on Edinborough, might just qualify. Don't know how many wizards are bed ridden because of that and LTW is among those.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Lara - Got pummeled by the Skinwalker and saw her sisters injured and her house damaged by the same in TC. 
Took a bit of a beating from Black Court Vamps in BR.
(She isn't one of Harry's friends, but like Marcone she is a sometime ally who can best be called a frenemy.)

Inari - Got her arm broken by a Black Court Vampire in BR.
(She was friendly with Harry.  Well before her hunger started to take over and she tried to eat him.)

Meryl - Was killed by Lloyd Slate in SK.
(She was starting to become a friend.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 10:01:43 AM by KurtinStGeorge »

Groucho Marx

Offline pkrmgc

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Michael: daughter held hostage during "Warrior" (to get Harry to give up the swords)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Thanks for pointing this out in the trailer topic xakko.

I've got two suggestions for the topic.

One is to add list code to the lists (this will add bullets, not terribly important but it looks nice)
The other is to possibly put things in chronological order (a taller order imo, but more significant)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Thanks for pointing this out in the trailer topic xakko.

I've got two suggestions for the topic.

One is to add list code to the lists (this will add bullets, not terribly important but it looks nice)
The other is to possibly put things in chronological order (a taller order imo, but more significant)
I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

Also, do you have any problems with the curators making any additions to your post or do you wish to take the lead?
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Also, do you have any problems with the curators making any additions to your post or do you wish to take the lead?
not at all... it's a reference thread, not an ego trip.  :)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
To Murphy, I'd add a bunch of personal issues that hurt her more than mere physical injuries.
- Seeing her second husband marry her kid sister.  (Effectively "I'd love you -- if you were younger and less you") (BR)
- Feelings of failure associated with not taking over her mother's matriarchal role in the family. (BR)
- Finally opening up to a relationship with Harry, getting all dressed up for their date, showing up and finding his blood and a bullet hole.  (Shades of Angelus's gift to Giles...) (Ch)

To Charity, I'd add a bunch of things that happened to her kids, but most especially Molly in PG -- Molly inherited the power from Charity, and Charity would blame herself for Molly keeping the magic a secret, and nearly getting her head chopped off.  This is probably the single worst thing that ever happened to her.

To Susan...
- Sifting through body parts of ripped up children, putting them back together to learn if any of them were her daughter -- all the while dealing with the lust to suck the blood from the pieces.
- Maggie kidnapped by the Red Court, to be sacrificed.
- Martin's breathtaking betrayal -- possibly the closest relationship of her life.  Ten years as partners in the Fellowship, and he gave her daughter to the Red Court.  And, no, the betrayal wasn't fake.  He *really* betrayed her, even though it was part of a betrayal of the Red King as well.

And if you're going to list one-shot characters like Kim Delaney and Meryl, Lydia probably deserves an entry.
Lydia:
  • Cassandra's Tears -- it's already a curse, knowing the future and not being able to get anyone to believe you.
  • Specific dreams about the Nightmare coming for her
  • Hiding in the Church while the Nightmare rages outside
  • Kidnapped by vampires
  • Almost sacrificed to desecrate the Sword
  • Possessed by Nightmare

Maybe Harley MacFinn as well.
- Loup Garou curse.
- Destruction of his circle -- guilt over the deaths, especially Kim's.
- Killed by Harry.

And Helen Beckitt/Demeter

For Thomas, I'd throw in his backstory -- his Father has been trying to kill him for years, he's a psychic vampire in love, and the single worst thing that happened to him: he ate Justine, and thought he'd killed her.

Rawlins -- add that he got exiled to SI after the events of PG.

To Ivy, I'd add the backstory -- it's an incredibly painful childhood trauma.

To Carlos and to Luccio I'd add Cristos having them "arrested/detained" during Changes.

Mister had his home burned down!

Mrs. Spunkelcrief had her home burned down.

The Willoughbys had their home burned down.

Abby got shot in the belly [GS] (Ack.  Did she die?  Search doesn't show any mention of her beyond "They don't know if she's going to live or die.")