Author Topic: Recovery from moderate/severe mental consequences  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Files Campaign
Recovery from moderate/severe mental consequences
« on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
I have a PC wizard in my chest-deep campaign. At the last session he used the wizard's Sight and earned a moderate consequence before he could successfully defend and close the Sight. The player of the wizard named the consequence as "Pyrophobia".

Well, that was close to the Harry's experience with the Sight. But after the session was over, I had a thought that there is no official way to heal the wizard from the phychic trauma. He has no phychologists around, and even some of NPCs do have Empathy at decent levels, the skill allows to recovery only mild mental consequences, not moderate. But I definitely remember Harry recovering from such a terrible mental trauma by themself (via Discipline roll, I presume) or in a comforting conversation with Murphy (who don't have the Psychologist stunt or Empathy skill whatsoever).

Somewhere in the corebook I've found recommendations about recovering in just comforting conditions. Maybe it's a corrupting influence of Fate Core, and there is no need to use healing overcome actions to begin the recovery in DFRPG? I request an advice on this topic - how shoud I treat mental recovery from the point of view of the game mechanics?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:06:56 PM by Leeder »

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Recovery from moderate/severe mental consequences
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:56:15 PM »
I don't know.  I like the idea of actions to begin recovery and "starting the healing process".

It can be peripheral (I go to see a shrink or priest or whoever is qualified) or it could have a game effect like compelling the consequence - needing to go to your appointment with a doctor when there's more important things to do.

I suppose people can learn to cope, but not always...and sometimes the coping mechanism isn't healthy.

I think the book just suggested that you don't have to *roll*...but, if the GM feels a roll is necessary, it gives the difficulty.

For game mechanics, as I mentioned above, have the player go see someone.  It may or may not come in to play.  It might be off-screen(during down-time) but it could have some screen time if it's interesting(like when your doctor is kidnapped or is used to gain personal information on your character).  If there's no time, then coping with the consequence becomes part of the story.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:03:14 PM by Taran »

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
All your character's "healing" could be done off screen. Essentially the character would just have to hang on to the consequence for however long the rule book says and it'd be a compel-able aspect during that time. It reflect real life. You can have your heart broken and you'll be a mess for a while but eventually you'll get over it. Getting professional help or talking to a sympathetic friend can speed but either way, its going to take some time. I think I had a PC in my game who failed at a mental defense roll against an attack from some White Court vamps and our GM gave him the temporary aspect "PTSD" for a couple adventures.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 04:43:45 PM »
It depends on the consequence, I find. Some things just need time, others will need someone else's help. Like, a consequence of extreme anger should just go away after a while, but a consequence like extreme doubt in oneself should need a pep talk or some in-game character development to get over it.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 04:51:04 PM »
It depends on the consequence, I find. Some things just need time, others will need someone else's help. Like, a consequence of extreme anger should just go away after a while, but a consequence like extreme doubt in oneself should need a pep talk or some in-game character development to get over it.

This is what I wanted to say.  He just said it better.

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »
Okay, I've got your point. I can't say I agree, but let's presume I share it. What would you treat as a sufficient condition to begin recovering from something like "pyrophobia" as a moderate mental consequence?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:34 PM »
A trip to the local fire department to get a tour of the station and a chat with the fire chief to reassure you they have things under control.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:30:14 PM by Taran »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 05:53:28 PM »
Okay, I've got your point. I can't say I agree, but let's presume I share it. What would you treat as a sufficient condition to begin recovering from something like "pyrophobia" as a moderate mental consequence?
What level of consequence?  Mild fears may go away with just some time to think out issues and ramifications while moderate fears may require physical evidence (such as Taran's trip to the fire station) or even counseling.  Severe fears probably require treatment or even drugs...and may never go away completely.  What makes sense to the group in context?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 05:59:20 PM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
It depends on the character and how he or she acquired that consequence.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »
What level of consequence?

a moderate mental consequence?
Thank you, I've got the direction of thoughts. Does anyone have another point of view, more strictly attained to the game mechanics?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 06:07:57 PM »
Thank you, I've got the direction of thoughts. Does anyone have another point of view, more strictly attained to the game mechanics?

I recall DFRPG does insist on a Recovery roll in order to get the recovery process going, which I think is important because it underscores the stressful nature of the DF fiction, and the  importance of taking an actual break from the action. I was surprised initially to find, for instance, that BUlldogs! did *not* have that requirement. DF had been my first real Fate experience.

Just because none of the PC's immediate group have the right skills to justify recovery doesn't mean nobody out there has them. I liked the suggestion of a priest being able to tend to someone with mental issues. Maybe there's a WCV/psychotherapist who is trying to stay on the good path (like in one of my DFRPG games). This could be an opportunity to expand the cast list for the game, or at least a side adventure for the player.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets