Author Topic: A question on Sanctums and Libraries and such  (Read 4095 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: A question on Sanctums and Libraries and such
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 06:50:02 AM »
That said, the RAW indicate that the quality of your library/workspace/etc. represents the top difficulty of the problem you can solve at your library/workspace/etc., so having a +3 library but needing to answer a +6 question wouldn't be helped by additional time: the +6 question is narratively outside of the permissions given by the +3 library.

But you're only limited by the library if you need to do research, and you only need to do research if you failed the original roll.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 06:02:29 PM »
But you're only limited by the library if you need to do research, and you only need to do research if you failed the original roll.

That's true!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 05:26:21 AM »
Maybe if it was a difficulty 12 roll or something, but...for some incomprehensible reason, only the best libraries in the world contain information that your average university professor doesn't know off-hand. And the internet is apparently a rating 0 library, and therefore basically useless.

Library ratings are crazy low across the board, honestly.

Yes, this is kind of ridiculous.

It would be a bit more sensible in maybe a game set before 1995-2000 or so (though the ratings are STILL too low) but in the modern world as of 2013, I'd say the internet has better info (IF you know how to find/distinguish good info... but someone with a decent Scholarship WILL) than most paper libraries. I can see that you would certainly have better access to e.g. technical journals in the library of a large university... but that's a very good library. And if all you want is to find the answer rather than have the right literature citation...

The internet should be at LEAST Good rating, probably Great, IMO, for mundane (Scholarship) research.