Author Topic: Soulgazes with Harry *Reference Topic* [Series Spoilers]  (Read 21294 times)

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Soulgazes with Harry *Reference Topic* [Series Spoilers]
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 02:47:38 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought Ramirez got his third eye info in music form - we don't know about his soulgaze perceptions.

That's from a WoJ.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Roachie

• Conversationalist
  • Tiny, but FIERCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 02:56:46 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought Ramirez got his third eye info in music form - we don't know about his soulgaze perceptions.

And I thought I got bad earworms

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »
That's from a WoJ.

It's in a book too though, WN  pg 265 HC
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:44:22 AM by Icecream »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:52:15 AM »
I think it is confirmed that Harry and Morgan soulgazed in TC. Ebenezar says something to Harry along the lines of "I reckon you would know , you 'gazed him Hoss"

Edit: Found it on page 100 of TC - hardcover version when Harry goes to the council HQ and talks with Eb. I can't be bothered typing out the actual thing.
Actually that is not how I read it. Ebenezer assumes Harry soulgazed him because that would be the logical thing to do and would explain why Harry was so sure but Harry never did. Harry never said he did.

Harry and Morgan learned about each other the hard way and that took years.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »
It's in a book too though, WN  pg 265 HC

Exactly harry talks about how different wizards experience soulgazes, music, pictures and claims that he has thevweirdest or something like that due to seeing things in metaphor.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 03:48:39 PM »
Point of fact: Third-Eye Junky guy didn't soulgaze Harry, he just had uncontrolled use of The Sight through the drug.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 04:26:40 PM »
Point of fact: Third-Eye Junky guy didn't soulgaze Harry, he just had uncontrolled use of The Sight through the drug.

This I know.  And that a soulgaze is an application of The Sight.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline SAZ

• Posty McPostington
  • I cast my spirit into the many spheres seeking…
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 07:17:19 PM »
This I know.  And that a soulgaze is an application of The Sight.

Yes, likely just so – but I think it is important to remember that the Sight (third eye) and a Soulgaze provide different information (and to me they seem like they do). Much like the difference between a sit down visit and exam with your doctor vs. an MRI and a battery of blood tests. One may reveal a problem that the other cannot, but then there are times when both will bring forth information about an ailment. And then lastly there are times both might miss something.

To my thinking a Soulgaze is like an MRI and blood tests - more internal focused. The doctor exam is a more surface examination like the Sight.

For example:
If in Turn Coat Harry had used his sight on Morgan, Harry would have noted Morgan’s aura as a wizard, seen some manifestation of the summer cloaking spell that was keeping Morgan untrackable, and perhaps the remnants of the spell(s) and funny ink that were used to set him up. Harry would not have gotten any kind of good read on if Morgan was telling the truth or not.

If Harry had soulgazed him he would have had a read on Morgan’s general personality and current trustworthiness… not a perfect read of course, but still a generally useful bunch of info on which to gauge Morgan. I don’t think a Soulgaze would have shown Harry the Summer cloaking or anti tracking spell.
Last night I had a vision. The World in flames. Terror and death spreading across the globe in an unstoppable wave, destroying anything resembling order or civilization. At the center of it – I saw Mister. Sitting there grooming himself, looking disinterested.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 07:21:34 PM »
Yes, likely just so – but I think it is important to remember that the Sight (third eye) and a Soulgaze provide different information (and to me they seem like they do). Much like the difference between a sit down visit and exam with your doctor vs. an MRI and a battery of blood tests. One may reveal a problem that the other cannot, but then there are times when both will bring forth information about an ailment. And then lastly there are times both might miss something.

To my thinking a Soulgaze is like an MRI and blood tests - more internal focused. The doctor exam is a more surface examination like the Sight.

For example:
If in Turn Coat Harry had used his sight on Morgan, Harry would have noted Morgan’s aura as a wizard, seen some manifestation of the summer cloaking spell that was keeping Morgan untrackable, and perhaps the remnants of the spell(s) and funny ink that were used to set him up. Harry would not have gotten any kind of good read on if Morgan was telling the truth or not.

If Harry had soulgazed him he would have had a read on Morgan’s general personality and current trustworthiness… not a perfect read of course, but still a generally useful bunch of info on which to gauge Morgan. I don’t think a Soulgaze would have shown Harry the Summer cloaking or anti tracking spell.

Poiniant example.

As to the 3eye Junkie's comments, even if it's not a "soulgaze" it is the most descriptive thing we have of what the Sight (either via 3rd eye or soulgaze) reveals about Harry.  Thus IMO it's CRUCIAL for this reference
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline breck

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 09:33:35 AM »
I agree in regards to the third eye junkie. It is as close as we have so far to a soulgaze of Harry. That scene in the book even creeped me out. It was a  touch scary, and i immediately reread it just for the feel and atmosphere.

Offline cptnspldng

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2014, 01:37:19 AM »
Anyone else find it intriguing that Harry has never had a soulgaze with Karrin? ... yet?

Considering that Karrin would be one of the ideal characters to reveal what a person sees when they soulgaze Harry, I would well expect Mr Butcher to reserve such a treat for something in the BAT. In the meantime, Harry has looked upon Karrin in the heat of battle with his Sight (Blood Rites) and has witnesses a soiled Avenging Angel in white, if my memory serves me correctly (and she wasn't even carrying one of the Swords.)
Look, he said to his imagination, if this is how you're going to behave, I shan't bring you again.
(Terry Pratchett, "Going Postal")

What fresh Hell is this?

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 03:52:36 PM »
Harry's used his inability to soulgaze Molly to prove his identity, too.  That's one key difference between the Sight and a soulgaze: the former can be used over and over on the same person, the latter's a one-time deal.

Offline Mass

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2014, 09:34:03 PM »
There's also the Sight of Murphy in Grave Peril before she gets worked over by Nightmare/Kravos.

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
As far as Soulgazes Harry has seen from the outside, the only two I know of is Ramirez/Lara and Molly/Thomas. I don't remember Ramirez soulgazing Molly.

There's also Molly/Corpsetaker-in-Butters's-body.  Harry overheard Butters screaming when Grevane soulgazed him, but didn't see it.

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
Another addition to Harry's list:  In Ghoul, Goblin, he soulgazes the dying Joseph Talbot to learn as much as he can about the man's background and his killer.

Notably, Joseph himself actually communicates with Harry directly during their 'gaze, warning Dresden not to let himself be drawn down into death along with him.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:00:41 PM by Sharlee »