Author Topic: New Character Joing Ongoing Campaign  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
New Character Joing Ongoing Campaign
« on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:19 PM »
Hey all, I am looking to join a friend's existing campaign, but obviously the character was not part of the original Chargen Group and will have no ties to existing Characters via Guest stars etc...anyone got a good method for handling the final two aspects that would normally be Guest Stars? Should they just convert to additional adventures? Or use existing NPC's as Tie-ins?
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: New Character Joing Ongoing Campaign
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »
You can have him have met the other characters in your characters guest stories, that's not really a problem. If the other characters have done something in the campaign where your character might have been a part of, you could retrofit it to have your character have been there, instead of a no-name NPC.

If there is nothing that could fit, discuss this in the group. Maybe there are ways to tie you in with another character between sessions, when he did some offscreen stuff, where the two characters have met. Have your character ready, describe him to the rest of the group and together you should be able to figure out where you might have met.

Alternately, you can leave the guest stories blank and fill them in mid game, when you actually meet the rest of the group. You could come up with aspects before hand, but unless it is linked to a story, the aspect doesn't apply yet. That would give you a sense of what should happen to make a good story for the aspect.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:19 PM »
That last one is usually how I've handled a new character--I let the player just change aspects after they've played him for a while to reflect how they worked out with the other characters.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 08:25:25 PM »
I agree with the everything said so far.  I usually tell new players that they can tie themselves in to any existing character if they want or just leave the aspects blank to be filled in later.  5 is plenty of aspects to start off with.  I also find that there are certain personality quirks that come out as you play that, maybe, you weren't expecting or are playing out differently than you'd have expected the character to be.  Having a couple of blank slots gives you a chance to incorporate those quirks as aspects.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Hey all, I am looking to join a friend's existing campaign, but obviously the character was not part of the original Chargen Group and will have no ties to existing Characters via Guest stars etc...anyone got a good method for handling the final two aspects that would normally be Guest Stars? Should they just convert to additional adventures? Or use existing NPC's as Tie-ins?
Leave them BLANK for now and then ask your GM if the next session (or two) can be about introducing your character to the group and going on an adventure with one or two of them. Then depending on what happens in those sessions, make aspects off of that.
Thats what i've done as a GM for new group members.

Real life example.
New Character showed up, had him and our Wizard run into each other at the magic shop. Shop gets robbed, due to some hilarious miscommunications they both think the other one is is cahoots with the robber.
Aspect was something along the lines of "Mistaken I.D." (its been awhile)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:15:12 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm going to go with blanks for right now and see what happens. I have some temporary ideas to fill in the blanks for now.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me