Author Topic: Writing Gigs, part three.  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Writing Gigs, part three.
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:43:33 PM »
Well, a new thread and a new set of gigs.

3 DECEMBER WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with December deadlines:

George Bennett Fellowship is offered annually to help writers of exceptional talent to carve out time to write. The winner receives room and board for writer and family, plus a stipend (most recently $14,626). Deadline: December 2 (postmark).

Ohioana Poetry Award is an annual award to recognize a poet who was born or lived in Ohio. Prize is $1,000. Deadline: December 31.

Writer's Digest Short Short Story Competition is offered annually for the best previously previously unpublished short short story (in this case, stories containing fewer than 1,500 words). The top winner receives $3,000, a trip to New York City, and other great prizes. And there are cash prizes for everyone in the top ten. There's still a chance to beat the early bird deadline of November 15, or catch the extended deadline in December.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Gigs, part three.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »

3 LITERARY AGENTS LOOKING FOR WRITERS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of literary agents for writers of fiction, nonfiction, and more. Here are three open to submissions from new writers:

Loretta Barrett Books, Inc. is a full-service literary agency that's been around since 1990. Comprised of three main agents, this agency accepts both fiction and nonfiction projects across several genres. While preference for submissions is traditional mail, e-mail submissions are considered as well.

John Hawkins Associates, Inc. is comprised of four agents. They consider both fiction and nonfiction-with specific specialties noted for each agent on their website. Potential authors can submit via e-mail.

Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency, Inc. is comprised of five agents. While Naggar herself has a full list, the other four agents consider various fiction and nonfiction projects. Potential authors must submit via online submission form.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 07:52:47 AM »

3 BOOK PUBLISHERS LOOKING FOR WRITERS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers looking for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with open submission periods:

BlazeVOX [books] focuses mainly on contemporary poetry and innovative fictions, as well as select nonfiction and literary criticism. They have a year-round open submission period. Potential authors should submit via e-mail or online submission form.

Filbert Publishing specializes in enthusiast, how-to, and self-help nonfiction books, but they'll also consider exceptional fiction and other varieties of nonfiction. Potential authors should send an e-mail with a query, synopsis, and manuscript information.

Rio Nuevo Publishers publishes nonfiction books through the lens of the American West and Southwest-specifically history, folklore, cooking, travel, memoir, photography, and more. Queries may be sent via e-mail or by post.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »

3 JANUARY WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with January deadlines:

Colorado Prize for Poetry is offered annually for the best previously unpublished book-length collection of poetry. The winner receives $2,000 and publication of the book. Deadline: January 14 (postmark).

Crazyhorse Fiction Prize is an annual award for the best previously unpublished short story. Prize is $2,000 and publication in Crazyhorse. Deadline: January 31.

The Eric Hoffer Award for books is offered annually for the best previously and independently published book. The winner receives $2,000. And there are cash prizes for everyone in the top ten. Deadline: January 21.

Bonus Listing: Writer's Digest Short Short Story Competition is offered annually for the best previously unpublished short short story (in this case, stories containing fewer than 1,500 words). The top winner receives $3,000, a trip to New York City, and other great prizes. And there are cash prizes for everyone in the top ten. Rather than a January deadline, this contest closes December 16.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:55:35 PM »

3 MAGAZINES OPEN TO SUBMISSIONS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of magazines open to submissions from writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three:

Adirondack Life is published 8 times per year covering outdoor activities, history, and natural history directly related to the Adirondacks. Pays 30 cents per word. Query via e-mail.

Horse Illustrated is a monthly magazine covering all aspects of horse ownership. The magazine pays between $200-475 for nonfiction features of 1,000-2,000 words. Potential writers can query or submit the full manuscript on spec.

Seattle Weekly publishes stories on Northwest politics and art for a mostly upscale, urban audience. Payment is $50-800 for nonfiction features of 300-4,000 words. Prospective writers should query first.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »

3 BOOK PUBLISHERS TO TRY IN 2014

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers open to submissions from writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three:

The Career Press, Inc. publishes books for adult readers seeking practical information to improve themselves in their careers, businesses, and other related topics. Prospective writers can submit a book proposal with sample chapters, though complete manuscript is preferred.

Gryphon House, Inc. publishes teacher and parent resource texts. The acquisition editors prefer a query with proposal that includes the proposed title, purpose of the book, table of contents, introductory material, and 20-40 sample pages.

Ripple Grove Press is a brand new children's picture book publisher looking for writers and illustrators. Prospective authors should submit a cover letter with the story summary, age range for audience, brief bio, contact info, and manuscript (saved as PDF).

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:53:12 PM »
Hey sweetie. Just a shout out and a thank you for posting these!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »
Hey Meg, how goes it with your YA?  Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you.
  More than glad to help.  I get these emails and I see no reason why I shouldn't
let the writer types on the Forum know about possible markets.
  Wishing you and yours a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year.
   (A published one too!)

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »
3 FEBRUARY WRITING CONTESTS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with February deadlines:

The Anhinga Press Robert Dana Prize for Poetry is offered annually for the best previously unpublished book-length collection of poetry. The winner receives $2,000, a reading tour of select Florida colleges and universities, and publication of the book. Contest opens February 15.

The Malahat Review Novella Prize is offered every other year (on even years) for the best previously unpublished novella. Prize is $1,500 and publication. Deadline: February 1.

Science in Society Awards is offered annually for investigative or interpretive reporting about the sciences and their impact on society. The winner receives $2,500. Deadline: February 1.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
  • You can have your own truth, not your own facts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »
SUPERNATURAL HORROR SCRIPTS WANTED

-----------------------------------------------------
Friday Filmworks - Seeking Supernatural Horror Scripts

We are looking for completed, feature-length supernatural horror scripts.

Budget will not exceed $1 million. WG and non-WG writers may submit.

Our credits include "Total Chaos," among others.

TO SUBMIT:
1. Please go to www.InkTippro.com/leads
2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
3. Copy/Paste this code:  aqemg39umm
4. You will be submitting a logline and synopsis only.

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.
"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:02:17 AM »
Here's some info on MUSICAL SCRIPTS WANTED - with original music already written.

Be sure to read the specific details below!

Feel free to forward if you know anyone who would be interested, and please submit only if your submission meets ALL the requirements!!

You should always be sure to register your material with the Writer's Guild and the US Copyright Office before submitting to any leads.

Good luck, have a great day, and don't forget to dream big!

-Jeff

Jeffrey R. Gund
INFOLIST.com
Follow INFOLIST on Twitter
Like INFOLIST on Facebook

MUSICAL SCRIPTS WANTED

Pigs Pictures - Seeking Musical Scripts

We are looking for completed feature-length musical scripts with original music already written.

Budget will not exceed $10 million.  WG and non-WG writers may submit.

Our credits include "Journey to the Moon" and the award-winning "My Angel."

TO SUBMIT:
    2. Enter your email address (you will be signing up for InkTip's newsletter - FREE!)
    3. Copy/Paste this code:  empx8ksfbp

IMPORTANT:  Please ONLY submit your work if it fits what the lead is looking for EXACTLY.

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com

"When I was 5 years old my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when i grew up. I wrote down “Happy”. They told me i didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. "
-John Lennon-

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 01:36:07 AM »
Here's some info on COMEDY SCRIPTS WANTED - written for a 60 year old female lead.

Be sure to read the specific details below!

Feel free to forward if you know anyone who would be interested, and please submit only if your submission meets ALL the requirements!!

You should always be sure to register your material with the Writer's Guild and the US Copyright Office before submitting to any leads.

Good luck, have a great day, and don't forget to dream big!

-Jeff

Jeffrey R. Gund
INFOLIST.com
Follow INFOLIST on Twitter
Like INFOLIST on Facebook

COMEDY SCRIPTS WANTED FOR 60-YEAR-OLD FEMALE LEAD

Pigs Pictures - Seeking 60-Year-Old Female Comedy Scripts

We are looking for completed feature-length comedy scripts that were written for a female lead in her 60s.

Please only pitch if you have such a script ready and available, we are NOT interested in material that could be "easily adapted to fit."

Budget will not exceed $1 million. WG and non-WG writers may submit.

Our credits include "Journey to the Moon" and the award winning "My Angel."

TO SUBMIT:
    3. Copy/Paste this code:  3beb5mwukd

If you aren't sure if your submission fits, please ask InkTip first.  Be sure to mention you heard about this from Jeff Gund at INFOLIST.com and please email any questions to:
    jerrol@inktip.com
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 07:46:56 PM »
3 MARCH WRITING CONTESTS
WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of contests for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three with March deadlines:

Binghamton University John Gardner Fiction Book Award is offered annually for the best previously published book of fiction. Books published in 2013 must be entered by March 1.

The Four Way Intro Prize in Poetry is offered every other year (on even years) for the best previously unpublished book-length collection of poetry. Prize is $1,000, publication, and a reading in NYC. Deadline: March 31 (postmark).

New South Writing Contest offers a $1,000 prize in both poetry and fiction. A runner-up in each category receives $250. Deadline: March 15.

Offline Kristine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 08:30:03 AM »
SCI-FI / FANTASY SCRIPTS WANTED

Arnold Leibovit Entertainment - Seeking Sci-Fi/Fantasy Scripts
    We are looking for completed, feature length, sci-fi/fantasy scripts.  We are open to any sci-fi/fantasy material except time travel stories.

Budget is undetermined. WGA and non-WGA writers may submit.

Our credits include the "The Time Machine" (2002) starring Guy Pearce and Jeremy Irons and upcoming "I Want My Baby Back" (found on InkTip) with director Kelly Makin (Mickey Blue Eyes, Kids in the Hall) attached.

TO SUBMIT:
    3. Copy/Paste this code:  u4b347c98v

jerrol@inktip.com
-John Lennon-

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
3 BOOK PUBLISHERS LOOKING FOR WRITERS

WritersMarket.com lists hundreds of book publishers for writers of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for children, and more. Here are three open to direct submissions from writers:

Academy Chicago Publishers publishes 10 titles per year. They publish literary fiction and nonfiction. Submit a query with 3 sample chapters and outline.

Chronicle Books publishes 90 titles per year. The editors say, "We're always looking for the new and unusual." Prospective authors should submit a cover letter with a proposal package.

Lee & Low Books publishes 12-14 titles per year. The house currently emphasizes fiction and nonfiction for 5- to 12-year-olds. Prospective authors should submit a complete manuscript by postal mail.