Author Topic: GM new to FATE. Any advice?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline inq101

• Lurker
    • View Profile
GM new to FATE. Any advice?
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:02:00 PM »
Well, I had the rulebooks and a group of friends who were huge DF fans so I've ended up volunteering to run a game.  I have a setting (London 1998), some ideas and plots, NPC's, locations, themes and threats.  I have read and reread the rules, talked to my players about what sort of game they want, what sort of character they want to play, etc.    I have a map of London, the underground, etc.   Basically, I've done all of the standard stuff to run any RPG.

Now, I've never run or even played FATE before.  Only 1 of my players has and that game collapsed after a session or two when their GM couldn't handle it.  Is there anything you guys can suggest specifically for FATE or DF?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: GM new to FATE. Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:12:53 PM »
The main things to remember, I think, is that skill ratings--or effective skill ratings--are the key to balancing challenges and encounters.

Somebody posted a chart a while ago that laid out the probabilities of different rolls, and it would be good to study it to get an idea of where you should place a difficulty--a player has about an 81% chance to roll a -1 or higher, for instance, so -1 is a good place to set a difficulty for something that's going to be a sure thing barring a freak occurrence. Conversely, the player's only got about a 19% chance of rolling a +2 or better, so that's where you'd set a difficulty if something's meant to be really tough for them to pull off.

The rulebooks talk a lot about setting opposition based on refresh, but frankly all the powers in the book aren't going to do much good if the enemy is rolling all his attacks and defenses from 1 or 2, while a PC with a 5 in attack and defense can get by pretty well without any powers at all.

The other key is compels--you should tailor scenarios such that they're going to be compelling the PCs aspects frequently, to draw them in and make things interesting. Compels are the grease that keeps the plot wheels turning. Before you start, go over with your players what their aspects mean, and how they can be compelled. And encourage them to self-compel.

Only roll if failure is going to be interesting to you and the players. Otherwise, let it slide, or throw in a compel to make it interesting.

And last but not least, remember that nearly everything that happens is the result of a discussion between you and the players. There is, occasionally, room for GM fiat and Rule Zero, but for the most part, taken outs, concessions, compels, plot points, they should all be discussed with the players so that it makes sense and is satisfying.

At the same time, don't get overly attached to the plot you have in mind--good players can and will change it, and inspire you to change it. Be ready to say, "You know, that's cooler than what I had in mind, so let's go with that."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:20:33 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
As more of a general GM thing than a Fate specific thing, I tend to have several plots going on simultaneously, so that if the Players get creative (as they should, mind you) I can run them into other plots very easily. In Fate, like Death said, compels make sure that you can run people into your plans, which should be adaptable, especially if you have creative players who self compel. 
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:23:15 AM »
Compels are good.

If your players want to do something, it's generally best to roll with it.

Adversarial GMing tends not to work too well with this game. I'm not saying it can't work, but many mechanics are dependent on negotiation and consensus so you better be able to negotiate. The GM gets the last say but ideally there should be agreement.

You can hit your PCs pretty hard without killing them (or taking them out). As long as they have consequences and FP, they can take a lot of punishment. And that goes double for PCs that have Toughness/Recovery Powers.

The rules will sometimes be vague. Pick an interpretation that is fun and balanced, and run with it. Make sure that everyone is on the same page, especially when using Feeding Dependency and Thaumaturgy.

The guidelines for appropriate opposition aren't very good.

Hm. Most of this has already been said. Probably didn't need to write all this.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 07:16:10 AM »
Try to strike a balance between what the power gamers want and what the roleplayers want. This is especially true if your campaign goes on for long enough to reach the higher refresh levels as the power gamers will inevitably optimise their characters much better than the roleplayers, leading to fights where one or two people are carrying the team, even if the other players have combat oriented characters.

Oh, and don't put all your hopes in super tough NPCs. The FATE system makes it pretty easy to amass enough power to take out single targets, no matter how tough they are. Your players will face much more of a threat if you mix in a bunch of mooks, and always save a couple for support manoeuvres. Your NPCs are a lot more effective in groups where they're able to set up stage aspects or cast zone-wide support spells.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline inq101

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I'll be sure to put it to good use.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
Whatever you do, don't ignore the group world creation and character creation.  You'll be amazed at the problems it solves.

Offline inq101

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:26 PM »
Well, we've finished character creation and I ran a quick session to demonstrate rules, basically a fight against 2 decently skilled gunmen.  I mentioned some of the stuff you guys raised with my players and think it's turned out quite well, so thanks again.

p.s. party is now an apprentice warden, a corrupt SI cop, a drug dealer who made a deal with the summer court to learn how to make supernatural narcotics and his god-daughter who's a changeling (or possibly scion) descended from 2 changeling's allied to 2 different courts.  I doubt lack of plot points will be an issue.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:08:36 AM »
Whatever you do, don't ignore the group world creation and character creation.  You'll be amazed at the problems it solves.

Yep.
Also, if you wrote out a story, and you have a beginning middle and end, go ahead and throw that away. Your story is your PC's.
Compel their Aspects (and do it in interesting and weird ways)

Go with the Flow. Listen to your characters, know when to hold them, know when to fold them. Not ever MOOK is going to fight to the death, have the concede and take an aspect of "Next time...".
Have fun.