Author Topic: Perfect Casting Part Three  (Read 259133 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting Part Three
« Reply #630 on: October 06, 2015, 03:29:26 AM »
I like most of them but who is Harry? I don't think I know him.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 06, 2015, 03:21:06 PM »
Lucas Bryant. The star of "Haven" on syfy.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 06, 2015, 07:06:56 PM »
Ah no, he is too pretty for Harry (IMHO). I like the other Haven actor for Harry, though. Always did.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 06, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »
Ah no, he is too pretty for Harry (IMHO). I like the other Haven actor for Harry, though. Always did.
Eric Baldur has the face and height, but not the lankiness.  He's got broad shoulders, so even if he lost the muscle, he'd look too big for Harry.  And that's coming from me, who had him as Harry in the signatures I did.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 06, 2015, 10:51:20 PM »
I remember and I still think he is a better choice (For the record, I still think Blackthorne is perfect)
Missing you, Md 

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: October 10, 2015, 05:40:35 PM »
I remember and I still think he is a better choice (For the record, I still think Blackthorne is perfect)
Balfour (mistyped previously) also does a great snark, which is necessary for Harry.  That's what Blackthorne had going for him.

Here's one I made for Bryant a while back.  I agree that he has the tall, lean look that Harry needs.  With some stubble, he almost looks tough enough.  I always thought his eyes were a little soft. 

Then again, I've also recommended Zachary Levi.  He also has the tall lean look, and can snark a little better than Bryant.  But my concern with him is whether or not he can do the badass Harry.

I think Eric Balfour is still the best of the candidates available, even if he's got too much muscle.  And I think, if you cast him, then you have to cast Justin Hartley as Thomas.  They've got similar builds, but to me, their faces are similar enough to hint at a share relation (just need to dye that hair).  I've posted a shirtless pic of Hartley so that the ladies can yay or nay his Thomas-ness.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 10, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
Perfect! I always loved Green Arrow. Ehmm...I mean, I am not totally convinced about his Thomasness. Do you have more evidence to analyze?  :P
Missing you, Md 

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: October 12, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »
Eric Baldur has the face and height, but not the lankiness.  He's got broad shoulders, so even if he lost the muscle, he'd look too big for Harry.  And that's coming from me, who had him as Harry in the signatures I did.
Eh, I still think he's Close Enough on physical look.  I would be disappointed if Harry (late story harry anyway) where any lankier than him, and his Long horse-face helps with that illusion.  He's especially good if they Cast in the direction of Harry's self-image, rather than his base outward appearance, because Balfour is far from the traditional male image of beauty.  Also agreed that Justin Hartley would be a perfect Thomas to his Harry, he's the perfect Pretty-boy version, with enough similarity to easily be believable half-brothers.

What does it for me though is that he has the attitude perfectly: he's the light and snarky jerk that you can occasionally tell is just using that to hide a barely seen ocean of Boiling rage, from having to make too many hard Choices.  His cursed smuggler in Haven get's it dead on. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 13, 2015, 08:36:35 PM »
Though I did not think much of True Detective season 2 on a script or direction level, it has good enough acting in it to convince me that Rachel McAdams could play Karrin Murphy and Vince Vaughn could play Johnny Marcone.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 13, 2015, 08:39:04 PM »
I agree. I actually thought the same when watching True Detective.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 13, 2015, 08:47:55 PM »
Though I did not think much of True Detective season 2 on a script or direction level, it has good enough acting in it to convince me that Rachel McAdams could play Karrin Murphy and Vince Vaughn could play Johnny Marcone.
I havent seen McAdams in much besides Sherlock Holmes, but my mind rejects Vince Vaughn playing any character that doesnt like to talk profusely and at great speed.  I used to think Ed Quinn would be perfect, back when Marcone was described with the physical appearance of a favorite uncle, with laugh lines and whatnot when he was "tanned and enthusiastic".  Now he is always the unsmiling "Tiger in Man's clothing", soul of a shark, etc.  and Adrian Pasdar is the one that always comes to mind.  However Ive started to think a good compromise of the two archetypes would be Neal McDonough.  He's softer around the edges than Pasdar, but better at the cold, reptilian stare that Marcone will need occasionally. 

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 14, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
I havent seen McAdams in much besides Sherlock Holmes, but my mind rejects Vince Vaughn playing any character that doesnt like to talk profusely and at great speed.  I used to think Ed Quinn would be perfect, back when Marcone was described with the physical appearance of a favorite uncle, with laugh lines and whatnot when he was "tanned and enthusiastic".  Now he is always the unsmiling "Tiger in Man's clothing", soul of a shark, etc.  and Adrian Pasdar is the one that always comes to mind.  However Ive started to think a good compromise of the two archetypes would be Neal McDonough.  He's softer around the edges than Pasdar, but better at the cold, reptilian stare that Marcone will need occasionally.

In an ideal world where one could sample actors from any point in their career, I'd still vote for Christopher Walken for Marcone, he can do both of those really well.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 14, 2015, 09:47:09 PM »
In an ideal world where one could sample actors from any point in their career, I'd still vote for Christopher Walken for Marcone, he can do both of those really well.
Oh, yes he'd be awesome.  For that matter I'm still willig to say that Nathan Fillion would have been a perfect Harry if they'd kicked off Storm Front in his Firefly era.  If he kept some of his castle weight off, he'd have matured perfectly with Harry. 

But then we'd still be able to have have Michael Duncan Clarke for Sanya and Mako for Shiro... :'(
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 25, 2015, 06:49:41 AM »
Been watching Breaking Bad lately, so I'd like to throw in Bryan Cranston as Victor Sells or Dean Norris as Carmichael.

Also finished up The Wire, and think Dominic West would have been a great Harry ten years ago. Lance Reddick as Sanya, and Sonja Sohn as Tera West.

Michelle Gomez as the Mothers (rounding out my Fairy Queen dream cast with Robin Wright as the Queens and Tatiana Maslany as the Ladies).

And so naturally I can't believe it hasn't come up, Erick Avari as Rashid.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 25, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »

Was thinking it might be interesting to give the roles of harry and Thomas to real-life sibling actors, if the right ones were found. This image is from an article on the Efron Brothers, as examples.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."