Author Topic: Why are threads locked?  (Read 4564 times)

Offline DustyBadger

• Participant
    • View Profile
Why are threads locked?
« on: September 18, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »
Hi, this might be a total newb question, sorry'bout that, but I couldn't find any answer to it anywhere.

Looking in the DF-books section I found that all posts older then a few moths are locked so I cant reply to them. How come?

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Why are threads locked?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »
The boards used to stay open indefinitely and it was too big a strain on the servers.  So now threads in the Bar lock after a week and in other places they lock after a set period of inactivity.  Then after a certain time they get deleted.  You can restart a thread if you want to, no one minds.

Offline DustyBadger

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:42:03 PM »
Thanks, its good to know. Usually forums tend to frown on multiple postings on similar themes.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 12:54:50 PM »
Well, it's generally a good idea to reserve restarts for when there's something truly new to add; thread "necromancy" does need a touch more justification, especially if it's a controversy-inspiring topic. But there's nothing wrong per se about it!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 11:14:55 AM »
Well, it's generally a good idea to reserve restarts for when there's something truly new to add; thread "necromancy" does need a touch more justification, especially if it's a controversy-inspiring topic. But there's nothing wrong per se about it!

[new topic]Stop hating on Murphy![/new topic]

Thanks, its good to know. Usually forums tend to frown on multiple postings on similar themes.

To emphasize what Shecky said, take a look at what has already been said.  If your questions have already been answered in those topics, or if your comments are more of the same of what has already been said, let the previous, locked topic say it for you.

Edit:  oh my.  somehow I managed to say something about the topic you started without being aware of the subject material...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
*snicker*
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 03:02:04 AM »
I had not found threads that didn't allow it.

About the locking: Every subforum has their rules (like 7days, a month period), I suggest reading the sticky topics at the beginning of every subforum (those are the threads painted in a pinky color). Not all of them, of course, only those whose subject seem relevant for what you are looking for. Another interesting point is that some subforum are public (you can read them without login) and others are members only. It may be important (for instance, if you post a picture of yourself or mention your real name)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)