Author Topic: Making magic stick against Outsiders [series spoilers]  (Read 15291 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Making magic stick against Outsiders [series spoilers]
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:44:56 PM »
So I’ve made a couple posts touching on this material in other people’s topics lately, but I thought I might try to tie it all together in a dedicated topic with my patent pending formatting.  (don’t worry the license is open for all to use if you want to duplicate the formatting ;) )-Serack

This is my take on why it's hard to get magic to stick on Outsiders unless you have a couple few centuries of experience with magic, and where the story is going to allow Harry to do it (or should that be “how the story allows Harry to do it”).

Jim has made several comments about how the upper bounds of magic are about rewriting reality.WoJ#1&#2 This combined with the frequent in text comments about a wizard not being able to work a particular piece of magic unless he truly believes that the world should be that way make me think of all wizardly magic being about the wizard wielding his will to rewrite reality to conform to his idea of what it should be. 

Now one of the significant things about Outsiders, is that according to the books, they aren’t part of our reality!XRT#1 It is my opinion that the whole objective for their assault of our reality is to subsume it and invoke their own upon it.  Possibly as “Empty Night.”  So when a mortal wizard tries to hurl magic at an Outsider, they are hurling their own revision of reality against another being whose very existence is its own assertion of a new foreign reality into our own.  To accomplish this, you must either have centuries of practice at asserting your reality through magic, or have some undefined “Starborn” property apparently.

Now I'm not quite sure how being "starborn" makes you better at asserting your reality (edit:  Although I do try to examine this more closely in reply #5), but it has been my hypothesis that Harry's experiences in GS certainly do.  Excerpt #2 below seems to me to be a very key part of what Harry experienced in GS that IMO will be significant in shaping how he identifies with his magic in the future.  In fact, Excerpt #4 is a passage from the next book CD where he seems to utilize this very lesson to an extreme that allows him to rewrite reality to his will vs the will of a primal force on par with “Let there be light!”XRT#3

Sounds to me like Harry is getting pretty dang effective at using his will to shape reality to what he wants it to be.  Which will be KEY to his fighting the outsiders.  In fact in Excerpt #5 we see how Harry countered the major Outsider psychic attack near the end of CD and yet again, Harry hurls his experiences and life into a foundation for a spell of his will that asserts his reality over the one the Outsider is imposing upon him.

Word of Jim quotes (hidden in spoiler code to condense the massive block of text)
(click to show/hide)

Book Excerpt quotes
(click to show/hide)

Edit:  OH NOES, I accidentaly deleted this post attempting to edit one of the replies.  I managed to save the text, but not much of the formatting.  I'll have to fix it later You rock TCF and Elegast!-Serack
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:46:58 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
Re: Making magic stick against Outsiders [series spoilers]
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
ya it seems like Harry's time as a ghost was a major learning experience for him. he learned some of exerting his control over his surroundings like what was pointed out in the excerpt. so ya not only his starborn but his training in GS helps.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 05:14:56 PM »
I'm going to work on tying in the other 2 or 3 times Harry has countered an Outsider later
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Elegast

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:42 PM »
Interesting.

But how does it fit with the date of birth criteria?
My "Maeve came to Splattercon!!! disguised as a vampire" theory : Maeve did it

All the theories on the Dresden Files

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 06:24:42 PM »
Interesting.

Lash said Circumstances of his birth, more so than just the date IIRC. We can't consider the year as significant,  not yet anyway, since even JB is having a hard time deciding on his year of birth. We do know his date of birth, who his parents were, possibly even approximate time of birth if my own theory holds based on events in BR and how Maggie died either while giving birth or just after.

We don't yet know for certain what other Circumstances may have played into this, but I believe that there must have been others.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 06:49:28 PM »
Interesting.

Good question.  I'm not certain but I'll try to evaluate that separately.

Excerpt #1 is a quote of Lash at the end of WN in the Deeps where she appears to have given us some information about how Harry came to be potentially a “Starborn.

Now for some reason that reminds me of some of the stuff Bob told Harry about how Halloween is significant in making everybody in the Mortal realm Mortal. XRT#2 Complex confluence of events seems a lot like Bob’s “conjunction.”

This reminds me, it can't be coincidence that Harry was born on Halloween.

The two other things we know about Starborn, are that apparently Elaine either is one, or has the potential to be one,WoJ#1 and a more recent WoJ about the Winter Lady that preceded Maeve not fairing so well the last time one was mucking about.WoJ#2   Which means that the last starborn was less than 1,000 years ago, and probably more than 200.  (Off topic:  For some reason, I suspect this is another reference to Tam Lin)

Ok so now I’ve done my best to build up all the information we have thus far about Starborn I want to provide some information about Mortals and free will and stuff. 

The thing is, we have WoJ that using free will mortals make the world around them through the choices they make.  The forces of the universe, these cosmic forces are always balanced against one another, and mortals are the ones who can tilt that see-saw one way or another with their actions. WoJ#3

Now this seems to be very reflective of some of the things that have been said about Harry being a fulcrum.  Starting with the Cassandra's Tears prophecy in Grave Peril,XRT#3 and going all the way to the recent meeting between Vadderung and Harry at the end of CD. XRT#3 (with several others in between)  So it is my guess that whatever it is about Mortals that makes their free will, and the resultant choices "make the world" around them, Harry as a Starborn, is that much more potent with it. 

That is, Harry as a starborn, is a distilation of the free will and choice power that causes mortals to shape reality around them.  Somehow, his parents made sure that the circumstances of his birth resulted in this.

By the way I would tie this to Harry's propensity to Naming too.

Word of Jim Quotes (hidden in spoiler code to condense the massive wall of text)
(click to show/hide)

Excerpt Quotes
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 09:54:09 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:30 PM »
Fixed some of your formatting.

Pre-Changes version is in spoiler tag below as a backup in case I screw something up.

(click to show/hide)
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
And Elegast did the rest before I could get back to it. Thanks Elegast. :)
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:45:58 AM »
Two thoughts:

1) The WoJ says that Elaine and Harry were born a couple of months apart.  This weakens the argument that Halloween is a key component/

2) Lash's comments seem to indicate that "someone else" was manipulating things - i.e. giving Maggie the strength to leave Raith.  Maggie may have been aware that she was a pawn and likely became a willing participant in the plan, but she apparently wasn't the prime mover.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 03:55:47 AM »
 Merlin was able to create ward to hold back ousiders and demons in the ways, during the rcv war, so i wonder if that is magic harry is capable of or having the affinity for.
k moinuddin

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:16:45 PM »
Thanks guys!  Lil Serack climbed out of his crib for the first time yesterday, and my afternoon/evening was spent altering the crib into a day bed and procuring/installing a safety bar for it at Mrs. Serack's behest.  I'd already spent so much effort formatting it (and reply #5, which is where I introduced the unformatting of the OP) that I was not looking forward to reworking it again.

Two thoughts:

1) The WoJ says that Elaine and Harry were born a couple of months apart.  This weakens the argument that Halloween is a key component/

Or maybe they have different flavors/qualities of closely related confluences involved in their potential Starborn genesis?

2) Lash's comments seem to indicate that "someone else" was manipulating things - i.e. giving Maggie the strength to leave Raith.  Maggie may have been aware that she was a pawn and likely became a willing participant in the plan, but she apparently wasn't the prime mover.

Hmmm, the line is "Your mother found the strength to escape Lord Raith for a reason." (bolding mine, itallics the text's)  I don't think this is necessarily apparent, but it certainly seems possible, and even likely considering how Harry seems to have been manipulated.

Although I am going to say that Harry has been the prime mover of his fate with manipulation of varying degrees depending on the degree of mortality of the manipulator.  See in my paradigm for this topic, Harry's ability to be a fulcrum depends on his free will.  He had to chose to accept Mab's deal of 3 favors for his "eventual" riddance of Mab's influence.  He had to chose to be the Winter Knight.  He had to chose to go back to the mortal realm as a ghost.  And it is entirely likely that similar things happened to Margret.

The idea that the "strength" Margret found to escape Lord Raith was found externaly from herself seems quite viable though.

Edit:  Other than fleshing out the excerpt where Vadderung calls Harry a fulcrum again in CD, my next plans for this topic are to apply these thoughts to the other 2 or 3 times Harry has defied a Walker (the HWWB exposition in GS, the first encounter with HWWB4 in CD, and maybe the HWWB cameo in BR)

Edit: changed from HHWB/HHWB4 to HWWB/HWWB4, silly engineer can't spell.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:07:33 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
WAG:

The memory scene in GS affords tangible evidence that HHWB was trying to shape Harry, preparing him for something.  To me, this is evidence that a starborn's power is a two-edged weapon.  What if HHWB is the prime mover behind Maggie leaving Lord Raith in the first place (and then Maggie pulled a double-cross or something)?

FWIW:

My current theory is that HHWB was trying to goad Harry to go back and kill Justin in a magic duel, thus opening him up to a corrupting influence.  Even if Black Magic corruption is not identical to Nemesis corruption, it's probably easier for Nemesis to infect someone who has already turned to the dark side.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »
 Wanna bet soul/hell fire magics are effective against outsiders? so denarians will be used to fight them. So a reason for harry to steal the coins from the church if need be. Also, it is known the sword have the power to counter them.
 The same for necromancy and black magic, so the black staff will be key in fighting them with out going batshit insane.

If the sihda are the guardians of the universe, it makes sense their power can harm the outsiders, so both the knights of the courts will be important. While winter hold the gates, summer will deal with the forces of the infiltrators.
k moinuddin

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 02:07:02 AM »
Pretty sure Denarians don't have soulfire.  And that most of them aren't wizards.  Which is kind of required to use soulfire.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 02:37:32 AM »
And that most of them aren't wizards.  Which is kind of required to use soulfire.

Do we know that enhancing wizardy-type spells is the only thing soulfire can be used for ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.