Author Topic: Two rules questions.  (Read 2163 times)

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Vancouver Files Campaign
Two rules questions.
« on: August 18, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
Question 1: Stunt "No Pain, No Gain" in my hardcover mook gives one additional mild physical consequence, but one friend of mine has a PDF of Your Story, in which that stung gives 2 additional mild physical consequences. Which source is right?

Question 2: Trapping "Workspaces" for the Resources skill notes that the Resources skill restricts the highest possible difficulties of questions, which may be researched in the workspace. Could you please explain how that works? I didn't remember how Harry's Mediocre Resources restricted him from occult researches.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Two rules questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
1) Yours. The book got updated.

2) Harry has Bob.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:02:03 PM »
1) Thank you.

2) But how Bob is represented in the game mechanics? And how exactly Resources influence on the questions? And what are that questions? Only "what do I know about... " or Ritual's Complexity too?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:11:07 PM »
2) In my experience, everyone ignores those rules.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
2) In my experience, everyone ignores those rules.
Pretty much, yeah.

When you look at the novels, when Harry goes through his books, that takes up maybe 2 sentences. On the other hand, when he is asking Bob for help, it often is a full scene with them arguing and bargaining for Harry to help him. Harry creating the love potion would be one example of those, such a compel would not have been possible like that, if Harry had simply hit the books.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
2) But how Bob is represented in the game mechanics?
I don't know that he is...at least not completely.  Like many of the fictional characters Bob breaks game mechanic limits when appropriate.  Or, since the novels came first, perhaps it's more appropriate to say the game mechanics simply aren't representative of everything in the novels.

And how exactly Resources influence on the questions?
That's a GM decision.

And what are that questions? Only "what do I know about... " or Ritual's Complexity too?
Research & informational questions.  Resources may have an indirect effect on rituals, generally through declarations. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 11:36:05 PM »
I'd model Bob as a character with Fantastic or Epic Lore/Scholarship and an aspect similar to Obey My Master and Spirit of Intellect. That way you can either bargain with him for an answer (Love potion) or spend a fate point to compel Obey My Master and get it that way.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:45 PM »
I'd model Bob as a character with Fantastic or Epic Lore/Scholarship and an aspect similar to Obey My Master and Spirit of Intellect. That way you can either bargain with him for an answer (Love potion) or spend a fate point to compel Obey My Master and get it that way.

I like this. I'd also give him spirit form, limiting it via "involuntary" since he has to be allowed out.  And Evoc and Thaum, but those might only be Dark Bob.
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:59:34 PM »
As a spirit of intellect who has been studying and collecting magical knowledge longer than most current wizards have been a live for I'd say Bob has those powers regardless. Bob is bad ass. ;)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 05:59:35 AM »
FWIW, I do have some Bob stats.

They use old versions of custom Powers, though, so they're not as good as they could be.

Offline Leeder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
Thank you, guys. You are very helpful!

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »
Oh, I like that! There is a similar character in my group's game that the GM and I were trying to figure out how we wanted it to work in terms of game mechanics.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 04:00:42 PM »

STOLEN! Awesome, good idea while still being KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 05:55:25 PM »
Glad I could help!
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."