Author Topic: Skin Game Predict-a-thon. [All the latest Spoilers permitted and encouraged]  (Read 53817 times)

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
It's that time of year again again...

Jim Butcher is currently busy writing Skin Games, and has been letting out tantalizing hints and spoilers.  I would like to exceed the  relative successes of the of the Cold Days Predict-a-thon, and see if between us we can figure out what's in store for our favorite wizard PI.

As last time, I am going to try to structure the predictions by posing a bunch of questions and everyone is invited to submit answers.  This thread will then be locked some time before the book starts coming out so people can't change their answers.  Then, after Skin Games is finally out I will grade each of the submissions and the winner(s) will get bragging rights.  Last year, I made a bunch of custom forum icons for the winners.  You may find certain people still "wearing" them as badges of honor.  I'll probably do the same this time around.   

Notes:

a) There are 10 questions, to be graded based on correctness and specificity.  Feel free to be as crazy as you like; an answer of "Harry blows up a building" probably not be worth as much as "Harry blows up the Barad-dûr with Soulfire" if it turns out that he blew up Orthanc with Hellfire instead.

b) Grading will be done at my sole discretion, though I may appoint fellow graders -- especially if the number of submissions is large.  I will try to be fair, but I reserve the right to give extra credit to especially witty or creative answers.  The grading scheme last year was simple and fairly generous.  I would like to spice it up this year with "most amusing mis-prediction" or "made most people laugh".  It all depends on the quality of the answers we get.  --- This is all about us having fun, so if your answers provide amusement, this is something I will reward.

c) Please don't submit more than one set of answers.  Just edit your first submission if you want to change things.

d) The first two chapters are available to the public already -- using those is fair game.  There will probably be more such spoilers (interviews and the like) before the book comes out, so be warned -- I fully expected people to use everything at their disposal in making predictions.  (The sample chapters will be included in the paperback release of Cold Days, and for this reason, transcripts of the videos of Jim's readings available on the interwebs are discouraged) -Serack

e) While I don't expect them to contribute, if the Betas (or Jim) want to enter in some predictions, they are totally welcome...   ;D

f) I'm essentially repeating myself, but please don't post more than once.  I will eventually have to go over all the responses, possibly multiple times, and I'd rather not have to be distracted by conversations.  If you have any comments about other theories, please open a new thread.

------------------

1. We have been told that Nicodemus has a very specific target in mind, ostensibly kept in the Labyrinth of Daedalus.  What is Nic trying to get his hands on and why?  The blurb for SG had some info on this, and all answers that hit on what the blurb indicates as the target have been recorded before anyone could edit their answer to reflect its contents. -Serack

2. Nicodemus apparently called in a marker from Mab to get Harry on the team.  Does he have a specific plan for using Harry or did Mab twist his request?  Which of Harry's capabilities will he admit to needing, and (given that this is Nicodemus after all), which abilities is he scheming for Harry to use?

3. Jim has mentioned that the book will be "Ocean's Eleven".  Who else did Nicodemus recruit?  How will they interact with Harry?

4. Harry's general method of operation is to call on his friends for help.  In this book, Harry is (initially) allowed one extra backup member on the crew.  Who will it be?  Which of Harry's other allies will "interfere" before the plot is over?  9/10/13 an interview was published that answers the first half of this question.  (edit:  Sort of)  Those that guessed what he said in that interview (at least partially) have been logged by the curators, but this will probably go down as some kind of extra credit or something, so keep Predictin!  (edit:  And things might not be binary simple...)-Serack

5. This is a Denarian book, so (unlike the last "end of the world" showdown), the Swords will almost certainly be present.  In fact, there have been various hints...  Which Sword wielders will appear in the next book and how will their interference/help affect the plot?

6. Mab is apparently against Nicodemus succeeding in this heist.  In the Cold Days, we found that Mab had complex reasons for wanting Harry to kill Maeve.  What are Mab's reasons in this book?  Is it simple thwarting or is there something deeper?

7. At the end of Cold Days, Harry needs to stay on the island to keep his growing headaches at bay.  The start of Skin Games implies that those headaches will need to be resolved by the end of the book.  Who or what is causing those headaches, and how will the whole thing get resolved by the end of the book?

8.  One of the key components of the "Ocean's Eleven" movie is that there is a final twist/reveal.  Given that we've got Nicodemus, Harry, Mab, and potentially Hades (and who knows who else) all trying to get the better of each other, if there's one thing you can count on it's some sort of last minute quintuple-cross.  What will be the nature of the twist and how will it all fall out?

9.  (Extra Credit) There are many WAG ("Wild A$$ Guess") theories on the boards, some crazier than others.  Write up to three WAG theories (or make up your own) you believe are correct that will be confirmed (or at least have evidence in favor of) in Skin Games.

10. (Extra Credit) This is that "free form" question where you can come up with anything else you think will be in this book.  Specific quotes Harry might say (will he actually quote Ocean's Eleven?  The movie will have come out already in Harry's timeline)? Tidbits about the White Council? The fate of Molly? Write down anything you want.  Note that whatever you write must be specifically mentioned or hinted at in Skin Games in order to be worth credit. 
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:33:57 PM by Serack »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
1. We have been told that Nicodemus has a very specific target in mind, ostensibly kept in the Labyrinth of Daedalus.  What is Nic trying to get his hands on and why?

Personally, my vote is for the Lance of Longinius, based off of a random blurb from Jim.  I'll expand upon this later.

2. Nicodemus apparently called in a marker from Mab to get Harry on the team.  Does he have a specific plan for using Harry or did Mab twist his request?  Which of Harry's capabilities will he admit to needing, and (given that this is Nicodemus after all), which abilities is he scheming for Harry to use?

Again, to be fleshed when I have more time, but my prediction is that the fact Harry has been dead is the reason Nicodemus specifically needs him.  I'll go a little further and predict that the real reason Lasciel whispered into Harry's ear is so that he would be temporarily dead (she knew Uriel would help him get better) -- precisely to make him a candidate for this mission.

3. Jim has mentioned that the book will be "Ocean's Eleven".  Who else did Nicodemus recruit?  How will they interact with Harry?

- A Naagloshii
- Lasciel
- Not sure yet.

4. Harry's general method of operation is to call on his friends for help.  In this book, Harry is (initially) allowed one extra backup member on the crew.  Who will it be?  Which of Harry's other allies will "interfere" before the plot is over?

Thomas.  Harry needs someone who can be entirely trusted to watch his back, yet be underestimated up until the point Nicodemus makes his move.  There is nobody better than Thomas for that.

5. This is a Denarian book, so (unlike the last "end of the world" showdown), the Swords will almost certainly be present.  In fact, there have been various hints...  Which Sword wielders will appear in the next book and how will their interference/help affect the plot?

Daniel Carpenter uses a Sword and dies.  Then Michael picks it up.   "Vengeance is mine sayith the Lord"

6. Mab is apparently against Nicodemus succeeding in this heist.  In the Cold Days, we found that Mab had complex reasons for wanting Harry to kill Maeve.  What are Mab's reasons in this book?  Is it simple thwarting or is there something deeper?

Not sure yet.  I'll come up with something eventually.

7. At the end of Cold Days, Harry needs to stay on the island to keep his growing headaches at bay.  The start of Skin Games implies that those headaches will need to be resolved by the end of the book.  Who or what is causing those headaches, and how will the whole thing get resolved by the end of the book?

It's Lash.  That medallion Mab gives Harry is a plot point -- at some point it will be ripped off his neck. 

8.  One of the key components of the "Ocean's Eleven" movie is that there is a final twist/reveal.  Given that we've got Nicodemus, Harry, Mab, and potentially Hades (and who knows who else) all trying to get the better of each other, if there's one thing you can count on it's some sort of last minute quintuple-cross.  What will be the nature of the twist and how will it all fall out?

I'd love to elaborate on this later on, but my prediction is that Heaven ends up with the thingamadad both Nic and Mab are after.

9.  (Extra Credit) There are many WAG ("Wild A$$ Guess") theories on the boards, some crazier than others.  Write up to three WAG theories (or make up your own) you believe are correct that will be confirmed (or at least have evidence in favor of) in Skin Games.

TBD.

10. (Extra Credit) This is that "free form" question where you can come up with anything else you think will be in this book.  Specific quotes Harry might say (will he actually quote Ocean's Eleven?  The movie will have come out already in Harry's timeline)? Tidbits about the White Council? The fate of Molly? Write down anything you want.  Note that whatever you write must be specifically mentioned or hinted at in Skin Games in order to be worth credit. 

TBD
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline ubergeek

• Participant
    • View Profile
1. My first thought was that he was after the mantle of a titan to increase his power.  But I've recently had another thought.  Nic loves to spread misery and despair.  What better way to do that than to take Pandora's box/jar and destroy the spirit of hope that it protects?

2.  I wonder if it's less about Harry's skill set and more about Nic getting another chance to take him out.

3.  Naagloshii, the last church mouse, and a few new characters

4. He'll ask Thomas to join the heist because they completely trust each other, whereas Murphy's a little uncertain of Harry's new mantle.  Mouse may also show up, sensing that his buddy needs help.  The rest of Team Dresden will probably join in when everything goes wrong and Harry needs all the help he can get to save the world.

5.  Jim's said that Michael is coming off the bench, but given his injuries he probably won't be taking up a sword.  More likely he's going to confront Mab in regards to Molly's new position.  Murphy will use Fidelacchius again, although she may still choose not to officially become a Knight.  Sanya will probably show up, but then something might happen to him.  As others have pointed out, a Knight seems to go down every time we see the Denarians.

6.  Given how the Fae are all about balance I suspect that Mab just doesn't want Nic to tip the scales in his favor.  Of course, it's quite likely that's only one of the reasons.

7.  I say it's Lash, or at least the remnants of Lash which have gained consciousness by feeding off Harry's soul.  Technically, it could be considered Harry and Lash's child. Just like how Athena was the child of Zeus and the titaness Metis, whom Zeus swallowed and kept inside himself for her advice and wisdom.  Molly will play the role of Hephaestus and take a psychic hammer to Harry's skull to release the parasite/offspring.  As to what form this being takes, I like what others have suggested about it becoming a spirit of intellect like Bob.

8.  Pass.  I often have trouble predicting those sorts of stories.

9. pass

10. pass

Offline DoTArchon

• Posty McPostington
  • Lurking...
    • View Profile
1. We have been told that Nicodemus has a very specific target in mind, ostensibly kept in the Labyrinth of Daedalus.  What is Nic trying to get his hands on and why?

I think this is part of the con. The question isn't what is Nic after, but who is he after... I have several ideas regarding this:

Harry - This is why he wants Harry along, to either coerce (although he knows that won't work) or trick Harry into touching a coin again. Lasciel's coin, more than likely.

Persephone - As per Greek mythology, Persephone was responsible for the life cycle of vegetation throughout the seasons, and could possibly challenge Titania, since she isn't held in check by Mab) ((Side note: on the topic of masks from Cold Days, I wonder if Persphone isn't Titania)) . if Nic can corrupt her then he wouldn't need a holy relic like the Shroud to cause insane levels of chaos around the world.

Nic has tried several times throughout the books to recruit powerful figures (Harry, Ivy, Marcone), he could be trying something similar here again...

I think Nic has managed to get his hands on Lasciels coin, and wants to try to con Harry into picking it up again.

Will continue this at a later stage...

4. Harry's general method of operation is to call on his friends for help.  In this book, Harry is (initially) allowed one extra backup member on the crew.  Who will it be?  Which of Harry's other allies will "interfere" before the plot is over?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:13:00 AM by DoTArchon »

Offline dpara

• Conversationalist
  • clear and concise reasoning. sharkslap!
    • View Profile

Persephones soul, aka. Helen Beckits daugther. Why? Marcone said something along the line "The only way to get me to join is to make her whole again". Ok this might not be the sole reason but I'd be damned if this doesn't come into play somehow.
I think they don't want anything from the vault, they just want to trap Harry in there (sounds more fun than major magic mc guffin)

I think it was I know you know I know you know, with Nic knowing Mab is gonna try screw him & the biggest corkscrew in Mabs arsenal is Harry.
Also there is a greater Lasciel & Nic Alliance running with "You help me kill Harry in the worst way we can do and I'm gonna help you with whatever".
"Needing" Harry? uff, he needs someone on the team with ranged attacks and knowledge of the ways?

"You go into the Labyrinth and attract Hades attention, while he is busy with with you we do our thing"

- Last churchmouse on Nics side, likely surprise Lasciel powered or she picks her up during the book (let's make that Harrys fault ^^).
I don't think there will be any more Fallen than Nic, Tessa & Lasciel, the others might come into play on an interference team.
Well an assorted team of other wierdos;
Muscle, Binder
Recon, sth. with clairvoyance/astral projection/intangibility
Conman, shapechanger

I say Harrys +1 is Kincaid.
Molly will interfere.. or Harry dies.. again.

I have a hard time imaging the "greatest weapons of humanity" frolicking in some portion of the NN, so I think they will only come into play as "people to avoid" before the heist starts. And likely as a "whoops I was leaving a trail of breadcrumbs" to find them fight in the end.
So I say Murphy will not use the sword in the beginning & sees Harrys buddies, Sanya might get wounded. In the end she takes it up to stop Harry.

Hades is mother winters boyfriend.

It's Lash. Nic will disable Harry by ripping of his earring, at which point Harry has an heart to heart with Lash. So they avoid Lash bursting out by switching places Lash takes over his body and Harry ghosts around.

There is nothing to steal it was to imprison Harry / let Hades deal with Harry.
The obvious? Harry is gonna split into two people.
"We only said you could take some with you, not that we would/could take him back".

Thorned Namshiel is in Mabs hands.
Lash is gonna get some form and be one of Harrys sidekicks from now on.
Bob will become the "spirit of the internet", youtube comments Bob will split from him and cause the 3rd world war.

The council insists that Molly is still Harrys apprentice and tries to gain some leverage over Winter that way, so Molly makes full wizard status.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:58:29 PM by dpara »
SH[Mavra---- Molly- Lash+ Elaine+ Murphy++]

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile

Nicodemus is scared of Harry, scared of his own mortality. The Fallen Angels can, in effect, make their hosts immortal…but not invincible. We have already seen many hosts die at the hands of others, and not just KofC. The only one who has been both Immortal and invincible is Nicodemus and that is only due to his possession of the noose. Only the noose has a fatal weakness, one that Harry discovered and almost managed to use against Nic.  Nic does not want to die, and Andurial does not want to break in a new host.

So they need something better than the noose, something that would grant Nicodemus true immortality without compromising his relationship with Andurial. That is what they hope to find in the vault. There are a few possibilities. 1. Ambrosia, 2. Holy Grail, 3. Water from the River Styx.

Nic was well aware that Mab would send Harry, and Mab was well aware that Nic wanted Harry to come along. Nic still wants to steal Harry away from Mab, but that is not the main reason he wants him along. Nic knows Harry can use Soul Fire, and he needs that ability to get past some of the more dangerous ‘guards’ hiding out in the Maze/Vault. That, and Harry’s brush with death,  which has given him some undisclosed abilities regarding Shades, Ghosts and Spirits of the dead.

The majority will be surviving Dinarians. The rest will consist of hired help. Possibly Mavra might be recruited by Nic, possibly Cowl might be recruited, possibly Binder, possibly the Ebs if they survived the Erlking and the destruction of the Red Court. Possibly any enemy of Harry’s whom he has not yet destroyed might be recruited. You already know how they would interact with him, except that Nic would have them on a tight leash until the objective is secured. After that, all bets are off.

Shagnasty will appear, but not as a member of Nic’s team. He’ll have his own agenda and destroying Harry will be the bonus.

Harry won’t get his first choice, or his second, or his third. He will run into the Churchmouse, and she will somehow arm twist or blackmail Harry into letting her come along as his +1. Wrong Guess

Harry will get word to Thomas and the others, and they will be on standby waiting for him. Harry might use Toot Toot as a messenger between himself and Thomas (Though I still don’t know why they just don’t try using some type of telepathic communication). Changed mind. Harry will fail to contact Thomas which will cause more trouble between them.

Karrin will finally take up the sword, and she and Sanya will be on standby along with Thomas for when Harry needs them most. Sanya is going to be around at least until the BAT.

Mab knows the Apocalypse is coming and is trying to control it by getting rid of the competition.

Molly won't be able to remove the parasite in time, or she will refuse to do so. The parasite will emerge, Harry's life will be in danger, but someone else will save him. The rift between Harry and Molly will grow deeper.

Lara and Marcone will work together, sending their own team in to retrieve the item in question. Lara will send in Thomas, and Harry will see that as a betrayal creating a rift between the two brothers. Thomas owes Lara a debt, Lara will force him to betray Harry. But that won't matter to Harry.

1. By books end, Karrin will have taken up a sword, which will create 'distance' between the two, further isolating Harry.
2. Maggie Angelica will display magical ability when Harry visits the Carpenters. By books end Harry will have a new apprentice, his daughter.
3. Some new revelation about Maggie LeFay will occur sometime in the book, and it will turn Harry's view of his mother upside down.

"When Hell Freezes Over" will be said by someone at least once in the book.

Nicodemus ultimate goal will turn out not to be quite so monstrous as Harry assumed. In fact, he will start questioning Mab's motives.

Nic's daughter will die, but he will survive.

By Books end, Harry will be back on the Island, but with Maggie Jr. and Mouse.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:38:06 PM by Tami Seven »
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
c) Please don't submit more than one set of answers.  Just edit your first submission if you want to change things.

OK; this will be a very partial response at first, and I'll cut questions I've no comments on for now.

I reckon 75% likely something from a non-Christian mythos that we've not yet seen in the books, 20% chance it's something to do with the fourth nail from the Crucifixion, and 5% chance it's actually the black athame and the book is going to end leading into a time-travel Harry plot for the next one, in the course of which the athame will get from the end of SG to some time before its appearance in GP, or alternatively, a similar time-twisting plot involving the Blackstaff or Mother Winter's cane.

60% confident it will be Sanya, and he will die, leaving all three swords unclaimed.

Only thing I am reasonably sure of here is that this will involve a reveal that Lash was never even slightly redeemed, and faked her suicide at the end of WN.  I give that 70% confidence fwiw.

I am about 80% confident that a twist here will involve Hades in his role of making sure the dead stay dead objecting to Harry's return, and Harry's escape from this having to do with Odin's prior claim on him because of him eating in Odin's halls.

90% confident: Harry and Molly will face Michael about what happened to Molly at the end of CD.  Michael will be upset but more forgiving than Harry expects.
85% confident: Harry will find some way of blaming a goodly chunk of whatever happens on Nemesis based on leaps of assumption that do not have solid logical support.
80% confident: Michael will not be physically up to coming along on the raid and his role will be primarily advisory.
80% confident: We'll see hardly anything about the White Council, or Murphy or Thomas' off-screen development over the past few books. 
70% confident: There'll be a "You had one job to do" Ocean's Eleven reference.
60% confident: Harry will finally stop lying to himself about being romantically interested in Molly.
60% confident: Jim will sneak in a subtle reference to the original Rat Pack era Ocean's Eleven that will go unnoticed by people looking for references to the more recent Ocean trilogy.
60% confident: While Harry and Nicodemus will be looking for opportunities for mutual backstabbing, the resolution to the book will involve a reluctantly (on Harry's part) acknowledged absolute necessity for them to work together, and will set up that necessity proceeding into future books.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Nicodemus doesn't ever have just one plan--he's there to grab something that he'll need to use for some other plan. My money's on the Spear of Longinus, or the items of power Perseus used in his myth (Hades' invisible helmet, Athena's mirror shield and...bugger, I forgot who gave him the sword. And there was some winged sandals too, I think?)

Nicodemus definitely wanted Harry specifically--I'm imagining he's just been waiting for Harry to take the Winter Knight mantle so he could use this opportunity. He will admit to needing Harry's skills as an investigator--there's something or someone that Nicodemus needs to find for the plan--and he's scheming for Harry to use either Hellfire, Winter Ice, or Soulfire on something in Hades. My money's on Soulfire, because I have a feeling it will have an "interesting" effect in the land of the dead.

It'll be half new people, and half people Harry's met before. I'm going to go for the long shot and say Kumori is involved somehow, and Eldest Gruff (he seemed to show some respect to Magog before he splattered him).

Harry will pick Sanya to spite Nicodemus and in an attempt to keep him honest. Alternately, Harry will count on the Swords just showing up at some point anyway, and so will pick...Ms. Gard. Who better than a Valkyrie to guide one to the underworld?

Sanya will be there because Sanya is awesome. Murphy will officially take up the sword (or be confirmed to have taken it up already). Michael will attempt to take up his sword again, but will find this to be a bad idea.

Definitely something deeper, and she's counting on Harry finding a way to screw Nicodemus out of his prize. My guess is she wants whatever he's after for her own purposes, and/or wants more information on who was involved in the attack at Arctis Tor.

I still think it's some form of Lash. While in Hades, she'll be given form somehow.

The twist will involve Molly as some kind of ace in the hole--probably her use of illusion allowing her to be nearby right when Harry needs to turn the odds in his favor, or she'll have switched the real macguffin with an illusion. Harry will have no idea about this going into it.

That Murphy's already taken up the Sword of Faith.

That Monoc got hold of Thorned Namshiel's coin.

That Persephone can come back somehow.

Harry will ask whether they're doing the Sinatra or Clooney version, then dither over which he prefers (Clooney because they all get away with the loot, or Sinatra because they don't). Harry will call dibs on Brad Pitt.

We'll find out more about what's going on with the Fomor and who they are, and Molly will initially appear to be going full Maeve, but this will be a trick on her and Mab's part, and she'll reveal later on that she's still holding it together.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile

Nick wants to get Thorned Namshiel's coin (which is infected with Nemesis) back from Hades's vault.  Mab grabbed it up in TC and might have made a deal with Nick behind the scenes while Harry was fighting on the island, depending on how long it took for Nick to figure out where the coin went.  She needed it to bribe Charon/Hades, and she needed to get rid of it for a while anyway because she couldn't keep it from Nemesis!Maeve on her own power without constant attention.  Nick wants it back because he needs information to figure out how deeply Nemesis has infiltrated his organization.  Namshiel is one of the "associates" that Mab mentions in the opening chapters.

Nick wanted Harry specifically because the NN side of Demonreach is Tartarus, a part of the Greek underworld.  Nick is using the Tartarus backdoor to gain entry to Hades's vault.  Nick needs Harry's permission to get his crew into the Well so they can pull off the heist.  Nick won't be interested in Harry's other abilities except maybe Harry's starborn-ness, whatever that entails.

The last Churchmouse will be there (and secretly be Lasciel's new host looking for revenge against Harry).  Mostly Denarians for the rest of the crew.  No more than one or two new faces for specialized skills.

Thomas or Murphy are the clearest choices, but I think Marcone is a strong possibility as well.  He has a grudge against the Denarians (hence kind of trustworthy in this situation) and knows his way around underhanded deals.  Also, Harry wouldn't feel as bad if something happened to him compared to Murphy and Thomas.  Who doesn't want to see the king of Chicago's underworld interact with the god of the underworld himself?

Sanya will be the main sword-wielder during the story, but he will be trying to stop Harry along with the rest of the Denarians.  Murphy is going to run interference for Harry against Sanya.  She will take up Fidelacchius in the final act once she figures out Harry's plan to backstab Nick and Nick's counterplan to that.

Mab thinks Nicodemus is a dick, so anything to spite him is good.  She's also concerned about the Nemesis infection in his group and doesn't trust Nicodemus to handle it himself.  She would like to have Thorned Namshiel's coin back under her control after the Denarians steal it.

Here's my parasite theory:  Theory on the Identity of the Parasite
Basically, the parasite is Nemesis!Lash.  Molly is needed to remove the parasite's influence from Harry's head because she has the required fine magical control, winteriness to lessen the chance of gaining her own Nemesis infection, and Harry knows/trusts her enough to let her work.  Most likely, the parasite is going to be deposited somewhere for use later on in the series as a source of information.

Nicodemus will try to get out first with the item from the vault, and clue Hades in somehow to direct his wrath at Harry.  He may try to delay Harry by taking Mab's earring, but I think the cufflinks Harry got from Mab in CD are capable of protecting him.  If not Hades, then clue in Shagnasty (who's working for the BC again, not a part of Nick's crew; he has a grudge against Harry) to take him out.  Harry will counter by calling in his backup including Listens to Wind.

-The "British" prisoner in Demonreach is the original Merlin, whose imprisonment is important in keeping the Well secure.  The Well is his "crystal cave" of myth.
-The BC is going to try to screw up Nicodemus's heist by sending Shagnasty, who agrees to work for them because he doesn't like Harry.
-The cufflinks that Mab gave Harry in CD were an insurance policy on her part.  She didn't want the parasite to be calling the shots while Harry was working Maeve's case.  Unfortunately, Harry didn't keep them with him the whole time.  They work like the earring to suppress the parasite.

I'll probably come back to this later, but Morgana's athame hasn't been physically seen in a while.  Probably another reference to Tam Lin while we're at it.
Also, Harry is finally going to properly meet Maggie in this book.  Michael is going to be furious with him about Molly, but Charity is going to be on Harry's side and shock everyone. (She has more practice with forgiving Harry than any other Carpenter)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:04:39 AM by Second Aristh »
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Sandtigress

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile

My first thought was something that would grant him a more protective form of immortality/invincibility than the noose since Harry seems to have figured out the trick to Judas' noose which we get a very clear reminder of in Nic's now raspier voice.

He didn't seem surprised to see Harry there so I suspect that he knew Harry was coming.  My hunch is that Harry himself will be needed to access something that Nicodemus and the Nickleheads can't touch given their evil or corruption or what have you.  Harry will of course be useful for his resourcefulness and adaptability under pressure but they will need him to reach something they themselves can't touch.

Per my previous thoughts, my original expectation is for all 11, or at least all except for Harry, the Churchmouse and his +1 to be Denarians.  Deirdre is a guarantee and I expect that Rosanna and her sad eyes will return - they just beg for resolution and whether she will finally make a choice for or against the Nickleheads once and for all.  If she's there, Tessa's crew stands a good chance of making at least a partial appearance as well.  And if they're all Denarians, then Harry's reaction is easy - instant wariness with the exception of perhaps Rosanna who is good at playing up on Harry's protective side.

I want it to be Ramirez.   ;)  I suspect it will be Thomas, although Sanya also seems like a logical option except that he is also the only Knight left and thus it would be Bad if he were to die, which is a major strike against bringing him along.  As for everyone else jumping in on things...that seems like a foregone conclusion.  I predict roles for at least Toot and Lacuna and hopefully Molly as well.

5. This is a Denarian book, so (unlike the last "end of the world" showdown), the Swords will almost certainly be present.  In fact, there have been various hints...  Which Sword wielders will appear in the next book and how will their interference/help affect the plot

Sanya has to be there somewhere, yes?  We've been told Michael will come off the bench and I won't be surprised to see Shiro make an appearance, perhaps to convince our new swordbearer to take up Fidelacchius, since we are going down to Hades' realm.  Murphy seems like the obvious wielder of the sword, though maybe she is too obvious...

If it's an immortality object, such an object in the hands of a person infected by Nemesis would be devastating.  If Maeve were unkillable, for instance?  It would be a disaster.

Harry was told that Molly was needed to remove the parasite so that seems the most straightforward route.  It could hardly be straightforward though, right?  So most likely, the parasite won't be removed until the climax of the story and it will be in the most unlikely way possible.  Maybe we'll go really out there...a Denarian helps him do it, maybe even sacrifices herself (I'm thinking of Rosanna here) in order to help him do it.

I think it will fall to the parasite again and Harry falling to it.  The twist will come in someone unexpected helping him to overcome it and pull out of whatever trap Nicodemus has planned for him at the last instant, and I think that person will be a Denarian.

Hmm...Thinking!

We should get an update on Harry and his status with the White Council.  I'm hoping with a cameo from Ramirez.  And if Ramirez and Mexican Coke make it in, I might die of happiness.   :P

I expect to hear about Cat Sith and his progress in dealing with Nemesis.

This one runs counter to my other predictions but was something I noticed while reading last night.  In SmF, Tessa and Rosanna pick up 11 coins while losing most of their former ones and Nicodemus identifies their crew as probably being the ones associated with Nemesis.  So I'm going just gonna throw out a WAG that they're running a second "Oceans 11" team that is going to try and infiltrate Hades' vault at the same time as Nicodemus' team in an attempt to beat them to whatever it is they're after.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 12:51:08 PM by Sandtigress »
Carlos Ramirez's Biggest Fan
(Other than himself, of course)

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile

What Nic is trying to steal is almost irrelevant, it is what he wants it for that is important.  If it is the Spear of Destiny, it is for the purpose of using against an Archangel like Uriel.  Also, it is not Nicodemus who really wants the "whatsit."  This time Anduriel is in the driver's seat which should give Harry a chance to outsmart him (it).

However, Nicodemus does have his own goals.  Hades is the Underworld of the Ancients Greeks, which is what Nic probably is.  He wants to visit with someone in Hades and perhaps find a way to take them out and leave Harry in their place.

He needs Harry's Winter icing power to deal with things like rivers of fire and potetial threats like Harpies.  He may also need Harry's magic ability to help Nic make potions to speak with the shades in Hades.  In the original Odyssey the dead needed a libation of blood in order to speak.

As I stated in the answer to the first question Nic wants to ditch Harry in Hades and take someone else out.

I think we are going to see the Redcap again.  He's real good at setting up traps and is known to be very fast on his feet.  Plus Nic will have discovered Red has a grudge against Harry.  Shagnasty will also be part of Nic's crew.  He will be along because Nic wants some serious muscle to deal with overt threats from heavyweight creatures like the Minotaur.  He also has a score to settle with Dresden.  I think there is a 10% chance that Mavra will also be on the team.  There really isn't anything in Hades that can harm her, with the possible exception of the Gorgon turning her to stone.   

Harry will ask for Lady Molly to be part of the team and even suggest that Mab could put a geas on her to prevent Molly from removing the parasite until Harry is finished the job.  Mab will refuse this request, and Harry will chose Thomas.  Molly will go along anyway and remain under a veil until the vital moment when Harry needs her most.  However, while Molly will remove the parasite in time, it won't be her or Thomas who ultimately saves the day. 

Murphy will appear at the point where Harry and company will emerge from Hades.  She won't be carrying Fidelacchius either.  She will have given the swords to Michael because she no longer considers herself to be worthy of holding them.  She will oppose Nicodemus as a Denarian; who has decided the only way she can stand up to Nicodemus is to take the power offered by the Fallen in her head.  She will survive and disappear at the end of the story, setting up part of the plot for the next novel. 

Sanya has to appear as he is the last wielder of a sword still on active duty.  Someone we don't know will pick up a sword and do well for a while before getting killed.  The sword will not have been handed out by Murphy as she will have given them to Michael for safe keeping.  Michael will pick up the dropped sword and use it until the end of the book.  He won't know that he can trust Harry until he sees his friend is fighting for his life against the Denarians. 

It is likely Sanya and Michael will find themselves fighting Tessa and Rosanna, but more on them later.   

Mab still has a score to settle with someone on Tessa's crew.  She expects Tessa and Rosanna to show up and try to steal the MacGuffin from Anduriel/Nic.  She wants Harry and his allies in place to deal out some harsh retribution to one or both of them.

The parasite is Nemesis.  It can't take over Harry because he is a Starborn so it is doing something else.  It is growing like a tumor, but one with intelligence and will of its own to destroy Harry and everything and everyone he loves. 

Molly will use her neuromancy to see exactly where the parasite is and her new Winter Power to eliminate it.  Failing the ability to destroy it, she will remove it (in a frozen condition so it can't do any harm until it thaws out) and then leave it stranded in Hades.

I think I've already got a couple of last minute double crosses in action.  Tessa and Rosanna show but are foiled by Sanya and Michael, while Murphy shows up and saves Harry.  Here is my final twist.  While Murphy saves Harry, frustrates Anduriel, and Rosanna probably bites the dust; much to Mabs satisfaction, but Murphy will steal the MacGuffin and disappear with it.  However, Harry will find the magic "whatsit" on the Water Beetle with a note from Murphy explaining why she had to do what she did.

We know Anna Valmont will be part of the team and Harry has to look her up.  My guess is that Harry will kill the thug Nic recruited because of his thieving skills; when said thug makes a move against Harry, and will be forced to find a replacement and Anna will be available.  There is a WAG (not my own) that she is carrying Lasciel's coin.  I like that one.

Here's one of my own WAGS; Fix will also be on hand when Harry emerges from Hades.  He won't be there to help him.  He will make a serious attempt to kill Harry on the general principle that he is opposing Mab's will by opposing Harry.  Harry will be forced to kill him in self-defense.  Mab will heartily approve of Harry's actions which will do nothing but depress Harry.  However, Mab and Harry will discover it was likely that Titania deliberately sent Fix on a suicide mission when; near the end of the book, she announces a party to celebrate the choice of her new Summer Knight, Warden Carlos Ramirez, whom she recruited after he was crippled in a fight with the Fomor.   

Harry and Molly will visit the White Council near the end of the novel.  Harry will all but be accused of using necromancy to return from the dead.  He will be accused of letting a Warlock run free when he was absent.  Molly will then unveil, and Harry will introduce her as the new Lady Winter and ask the senior Council to pay their respects to her.   Harry and Molly will feel somewhat smug about how they handled the situation until the announcement of the new Summer Knight is read before the Council.

The Carpenter's will be reluctant to let Harry see his daughter.  It is also likely she will be in school at the time the initial conversation between Michael, Charity and Harry takes place so even if they did agree Harry wouldn't be able to see her until after the business with Nicodemus is finished.  After Molly sees her parents, Harry will finally meet Maggie at the end of the book.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:41:43 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline huskermic

• Participant
    • View Profile
1.) As I've stated before I think nic wants to pull off a darkhallow spell to become a demi god. Maybe even to take over Hades spot. And instead of a bunch of people fueling the spell use just one. Hades.
2.) Nic needs Harry because he still wants him on his team. And I believe demonreach is the point to get into never never. We've been told that something dark and deadly is on the otherside and hmmm would Hades lair count.
3.) Nic's crew will have shagnasty, Mavra ( because every five books has denarians and every three has vamps ) some denarians, Ferofax and Cowl. And all of them will be trying to provoke Harry like a bunch of bullies.
4.) Kincade will be the plus one because he has a severe score to settle from small favor and maybe something else from long ago. Later in we'll see Murphy, Sanya, Michael, Daniel, Thomas , mouse, Molly, Marcone and his group, Alphas, Ramirez, and Ebenezer. Basically everybody because he's going to need lots of help.
5.) Murphy will finally if not already have a sword and I'm still thinking Daniel will wield a sword. Plus I think they will be showing some new powers. ( unless king Arthur shows up than he gets Ammorochius )
6.) Mab's reasons are um wow this is hard because I'm twice divorced so I can't figure out normal women. OK she wants balance and payback for crimes of the past. Nic double crossed her so she wants it done to him.
7.) The parasite is He Who Is You the third walker. We haven't seen the subconscious Harry in a long while and I think that is HWIY and that's why Harry has had such a reaction to the mantle. Remember sub conscious harry was lot more primal.
8.) The twist is somebody from either side of the team will switch sides in the end and we will find out who either nemisis or cowl is.
9.) Three previous wag that will be revealed A. Lacuna is the tooth fairy. B. The prisoner of demon reach will be released and C. King Arthur will appear
10.) A. We will meet a new ally that will have Hindu background. Jim has stated that he wants to use their history. B. We have meet all 6 of the Queens now its time to meet Oberon. C.) Never seen any of the movies so will go with this quote. Harry will meet Nic's crew for the first time he will say a Bogart line ( may mess this up ) of all the bars of the world you guys had to show up in my mine.
Why would you name a kid Harry Carpenter?

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile

I believe that nick is trying to get a hold of the titan chronos. who had been imprisoned in the labyrinth.

2. Nicodemus apparently called in a marker from Mab to get Harry on the team.  Does he have a specific plan for using Harry or did Mab twist his request?  Which of Harry's capabilities will he admit to needing, and (given that this is nicodemus after all), which abilities is he scheming for Harry to use? I believe that harries purpose is to be used to get rid of team that nicodemus is putting together. the team that nicodemouse has put together a team that he wants to work together to get  his goal done and to kill off as much of the team as he can. as far as nicodemous is concerned if harry kills off some of his team at the same time as getting his goal great if harry dies even better. another thing that  is that harry has his mothers jem that allows harry to travel the never never able to predict where conections are. I believe that the jem is necessary to navigate  daelous.

3. Jim has mentioned that the book will be "Ocean's Eleven".  Who else did Nicodemus recruit?  How will they interact with Harry? this one I have to think about I will edit in my answer later

4. Harry's general method of operation is to call on his friends for help.  In this book, Harry is (initially) allowed one extra backup member on the crew.  Who will it be?  Which of Harry's other allies will "interfere" before the plot is over? I think that the +1 kinkaid, I also think that William borden and the alas will interfere in some way along with buters, after all with butters and andi an item now how can butters not get involved he is a member of the pack now he just cant turn into a wolf like the rest.

5. This is a Denarian book, so (unlike the last "end of the world" showdown), the Swords will almost certainly be present.  In fact, there have been various hints...  Which Sword wielders will appear in the next book and how will their interference/help affect the plot? I believe that Daniel will be wielding his dads sword and will almost kill himself because of this bringing his dad  micheal in to play who will be there in an advisory level. I also think that murphy at the end of the book will take up the sword after being  embarrassed at the sacrifice that Daniel almost makes of himself. Sonja will be there to and he will be the one that convinces murphy that for the greater good she must take up the sword.

6. Mab is apparently against Nicodemus succeeding in this heist.  In the Cold Days, we found that Mab had complex reasons for wanting Harry to kill Maeve.  What are Mab's reasons in this book?  Is it simple thwarting or is there something deeper? I think that mab is looking at this as a training exercise for harry she wants him to learn how to double deal  . she wants harry to learn to hold to the letter of the agreement but in the end not give the person what they want. the other thing is mab is smart enough to no that anything that nicodemous wants could also hurt her.

7. At the end of Cold Days, Harry needs to stay on the island to keep his growing headaches at bay.  The start of Skin Games implies that those headaches will need to be resolved by the end of the book.  Who or what is causing those headaches, and how will the whole thing get resolved by the end of the book?  I think harie was infected with the deamon of the red court when he killed of the court at the end of changes. I think that the head ache is that deamon fighting for control of harry and to be born into this world

8.  One of the key components of the "Ocean's Eleven" movie is that there is a final twist/reveal.  Given that we've got Nicodemus, Harry, Mab, and potentially Hades (and who knows who else) all trying to get the better of each other, if there's one thing you can count on it's some sort of last minute quintuple-cross.  What will be the nature of the twist and how will it all fall out? the twist is going to be that the trip to labryth is a honey pot trap for the denairians and they will be trapped there by hadeas at the end of the book

10. (Extra Credit) This is that "free form" question where you can come up with anything else you think will be in this book.  Specific quotes Harry might say (will he actually quote Ocean's Eleven?  The movie will have come out already in Harry's timeline)? Tidbits about the White Council? The fate of Molly? Write down anything you want.  Note that whatever you write must be specifically mentioned or hinted at in Skin Games in order to be worth credit.  at some time in the book Dresden is going to pay charone for a trip acoss the river styx with a denarion coin ( I am hopping that it is nicodemouses coin and at the end of the book nicodemous gets out of hadeas mines his coin and minuse andrails influence. and as mad as he can be at Dresden for doing this to him.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:28:26 AM by pcpoet »
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline sociotard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Whatever Ferovax got in the box at Bianca's party.  I like the "Hope from Pandora's box" theory a lot, and this could be one and the same.  Yes, we won't see Ferovax until the last book, but if he banks with Hades he might have the object there.

As Nic also likes to do things for multiple reasons, he probably wants to get Harry killed while he's at it.
Concur that Demonreach opens up to Tartarus and Nic wants to use the Back Door. Harry will be sorely tempted to have the island imprison them all.  But, Harry is also good at finding things and people.  Anna Valmont, among them. Lastly, because Nic does things for multiple reasons, he intends to use Harry for barter.  Coming back from the dead annoyed some of the greater powers, and Nic will try to hand Harry over in exchange for cooperation.
Concur Mavra will be on the team. She only works for herself, but she makes deals.
Evil!Bob.
Cowl.
Shagnasty.
A greater Ghoul or lesser dragon. (lower case d)
Marcone will not be part of the core team, but he will provide some necessary resource
And a bunch of Denarians.

Probably Thomas. He might also try to get an extra secret-hiding ally along, like Toot or Bob.  I suspect we will see interference from Sanya, Daniel, Michael (confirmed, AFAIK), Murphy, and Fix

Agree that Sanya will probably die. Daniel will be denied the chance to wield a sword, and will be so desperate to save the day he will take up a coin while Michael watches.

Mab wants to keep her knight. She knows that Nicodemus, whatever he promised, will try to kill Dresden. So, she has to advise Dresden to dutifully assist in completing the heist, but also tell him to skin Nic alive before Nic can do the same. I don't think she actually said she had any problem with the heist itself, just that she wanted Nic skinned alive.

The lovebaby Evil!Bob put on Harry's tongue way back in the day. Getting his baby was Evil!Bob's condition for helping Nic.

The whole Heist was engineered by Odin to lure a bunch evil dudes into Tartarus and/or Demonreach, there to be detained. However, this will be thrown into chaos when Marcone uses the heist to take the godhood of Hades and go from lord of the Chicago underworld to Lord of the Underworld Period.

The Favor Mab owed Nic will be revealed to actually be the favor Cat Sith owed Nic. Cat Sith was Harry's Batman in exchange for Mab taking up Cat Sith's debt to Nic.  I just noticed Nic and Sith use similar phrasing. Either they spent  enough time together for one to pick up the other's phrasing, or Jim just thinks "Tempus Fugit" is something smart evilish dudes like to say.

In the first part of Cold Days Thomas mentioned how scary Lara is getting, to the degree of reaching for national control.  Harry put her on his "to do" list.  Lara will not get resolved in this book, but we will se a plot seed for her to be the central point of the next book.
At some point, Harry will say "Hell was freezing over, and it wasn't my fault."
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 10:20:27 PM by sociotard »
Even in winter, the cold isn't always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile

I have two ideas in mind here. The first is a set of silver coins used to pay Charon for crossing the River Styx. This could symbolise the return from the dead, as these obols are not meant to return to the land of the living. It might grant Nicodemus the ability to bring two people back to life, or perhaps allow him to bring two more Fallen to Earth.

The second is a bag full of pomegranate seeds, which he plans to trick his enemies into eating (and thus dying). My bets for this one would be attempting to trap Harry in Tartarus and that this is one big con where Nicodemus tries to kill Harry in as complicated a way as possible.

Hmm. Bets on trying to start a war between Winter and Hades. Harry's good at that and Nicodemus would definitely have known that Mab would try to screw him over in the worst way possible; by sending the Knight that knows how to kill him.

We've got confirmation that Anna Valmont will be returning, so I'll count her out. Otherwise I'd say someone from Greek mythology, probably one who has been to Hades' realm and returned. Orpheus possibly, if he still lives. I'm not ruling out anything here; Greek mythology is full of people interfering with Hades.

Michael. Almost certainly Michael. Harry doesn't need someone to watch his back in a physical sense; he needs someone who won't waver in the face of Hell and provide expert advice on the Denarians Harry may encounter. Sanya will likely get involved in some way... and end up trapped in the Underworld, if my Worst Case Scenario senses aren't betraying me.

Molly will likely involve herself as Lady, but be unable to actually join in the action due to Mab. Otherwise I think Harry might be on his own for this one.

Michael will show up, as I said above, with Sanya showing up in the nick of time.

She probably has an idea of what Nicodemus wants/could do with the various items that must have ended up in the Underworld over the course of history.

Lash, the Parasite, and Molly will remove it... Or Lash will emerge from Harry's skull, killing him in the process, but someone will save Harry's life with an item from the Underworld.

Oh Dear God I have no idea. Knowing Nicodemus it'll be something horrendously bad... Prison break of all the souls in Tartarus? Harry and crew stealing the treasure out from under Nicodemus' nose without him noticing?

Pomegranate seeds will play an important part in this book. Harry will find Helen Beckett's daughter in the Underworld and will find a way to get her back to her body.

I'm too tired for this one.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."