Author Topic: Potions  (Read 1185 times)

Offline PatchR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Potions
« on: August 10, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
My searchfu is still crap...

Can someone help me find lists of example potions/ examples of how much lore is needed for potions?
Administrator of Ragnorak NYC

Plays: Darius Caffrey

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Potions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
The wiki has a bunch of example potions here.

I don't guarantee that they all follow the rules, though. There's no real quality control there.

1 Lore is sufficient for a 1-shift potion, 4 Lore is sufficient for a 4-shift potion, and so on.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 01:42:55 AM »
Side question:

What is the default duration for potions and enchanted items?

Things like attacks and blocks, I assume are one exchange...but what about thaumaturgy effects Like a skill replacement potion?   Is it the same as thaum spells(one scene)?

Can you build duration into your potion/items by using shifts of power into duration?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:03:40 AM »
I would probably judge that on a case by case basis. Usually, you use such an item to get around some problem. A magical key that opens a door, underwater breathing spells to dive to Atlantis, and so forth. The spell will last as long as the obstacle it was meant to overcome lasts. The problem is overcome, and unless it is interesting to make it a perpetual thing, it moves to the background.

If it is something that's going to be interesting if it comes up again, I think it works best as a compel than a fixed duration, because you can time the impact on the story to be in the most critical moment. You need to leave Atlantis in a hurry, and just your luck, you feel the spell slip as you run towards the airlock. This works best as a compel though, I think.

Or if it just wouldn't make sense to have lasted. Like if you stay a few weeks in Atlantis, the spell is gone for sure. In edge cases, see above. Is it going to be interesting to have the spell fail now? Do it.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal