Author Topic: Characters from Fandom?  (Read 4096 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Characters from Fandom?
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 08:25:01 AM »
Her "Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique" could possibly be modeled as a re-skinned Venomous Claws.

I'd actually model that as a simple take out with Fists. The color came after.

@Sancta

1) But and Spanish too. And she probably knows a fair number more. The Vipers were international.

2) Fair enough. I'm thinking maybe Lethal Blow. The five point palm has to come from somewhere.

3) But she visibly takes damage and still keeps on coming.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 08:32:09 AM by narphoenix »
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »
Also: I noticed a new Sponsored Magic on Troy's stat-practice thread. Do you know if Troy wants it to go onto the list/wiki?

I actually don't mind, it's just that I was discussing with another storyteller over there named Kagami and he was coaching me on how to model the Extra Benefit a bit better. His insight, being unfamiliar with the Charmed universe, was that the extra benefit I have was way overpowered. He gave me some advice from Fate developers on how to do "absolutes" and I think, in light of that conversation I would alter White Lighter Magic a bit.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 11:03:43 PM »
1) But and Spanish too. And she probably knows a fair number more. The Vipers were international.

2) Fair enough. I'm thinking maybe Lethal Blow. The five point palm has to come from somewhere.

3) But she visibly takes damage and still keeps on coming.

1. If you say so. But seven languages seems like a lot for a fighter.
2. By that do you mean Killer Blow or Lethal Weapon? I wouldn't recommend the former, it's terrible.
3. Eh, fine. But there ought to be a better way to represent that mechanically.

I actually don't mind, it's just that I was discussing with another storyteller over there named Kagami and he was coaching me on how to model the Extra Benefit a bit better. His insight, being unfamiliar with the Charmed universe, was that the extra benefit I have was way overpowered. He gave me some advice from Fate developers on how to do "absolutes" and I think, in light of that conversation I would alter White Lighter Magic a bit.

Good idea. If you could post the revised version to the Sponsored Magic thread on the Resources board, I'd appreciate it.

Offline Troy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 04:03:33 AM »
Now that I understand the game a lot better, I'll have to re-work some Stunts/Powers and post the Charmed Ones in this thread. Here's a preview: http://www.ragnarok.gamingsandbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66#p358

The Stunts are wonky because I didn't know how to design them, but now I know more.
Ragnarok:NYC
Come play a game in the Dresdenverse with us!
Find us on Skype! Contact LongLostTroy

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 04:17:38 AM »
Now that I understand the game a lot better, I'll have to re-work some Stunts/Powers and post the Charmed Ones in this thread. Here's a preview: http://www.ragnarok.gamingsandbox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=66#p358

The Stunts are wonky because I didn't know how to design them, but now I know more.

Paige having Thaumaturgy knocks a Refresh off of White Lighter Magic.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 05:32:27 AM »
Here are characters from Simon R. Green's "Secret Histories" series (they're very gonzo/over-the-top urban fantasy having to do with the Drood family, who are the secret protectors against supernatural threats/rulers of humanity).

Edwin Drood

Power Level: In A Submarine

High Concept: Black Sheep/Leader of the Drood Family
Trouble: Anything For The Family
Other Aspects: Molly, My Love (And How Did That Happen?);
An Agent, Not An Assassin
Dislike Authority Figures (Even Though I Am One);
Protect, Don't Rule;
What Happened to My Parents?

Skills
Superb: Fists, Investigation
Great: Alertness, Deceit, Endurance, Intimidation
Good: Burglary, Conviction, Guns, Lore
Fair: Driving, Might, Presence, Stealth
Average: Discipline, Empathy, Rapport, Scholarship

Stunts
False Identity (Deceit): When using one particular cover identity, any attempt using Investigation or Alertness to see through this disguise is at an additional +2 difficulty. The identity can be changed at major milestones.

Powers
Item of Power: Merlin Glass (Item of Power Rebate [+1])
     Worldwalker [-2]
Stealth Mode [-2]: +3 to all Stealth rolls. Cannot be photographed or recorded by any kind of electronics unless he wants to be.
The Sight [-1]
Human Form [+1] affecting all of the following:
Claws [-1]
Mythic Toughness [-6]
     The Catch [+1]: the Claws power of other Droods; Outsider attacks and mordite
Supernatural Speed [-4]
Supernatural Strength [-4]

Total Refresh Cost: -18
Remaining Refresh: 3

Notes
This is sort of a composite of different books, mostly the earlier ones. His Aspects have not changed for END OF SIXTH BOOK BIG SPOILER.

The Merlin Glass shows up a LOT,  so it gets on his sheet permanently. He gets lots of other one-shot items, which I'm not sure how to model; Ritual (Crafting) is the obvious answer, but Edwin is totally not a spellcaster and that would require giving him a Discipline score which I really don't think he deserves... he's mentally tough, but it strikes me as more Conviction "forge through anyway" stuff than Discipline, and
(click to show/hide)

The Catch for his Toughness is converted to a Dresdenverse equivalent. In the books, Drood armor can be penetrated by weapons formed from other Drood armor, strange matter (in the first book only?), certain extradimensional weapons, some alien energy weapons, stuff like that.

Next: Molly Metcalf. Thinking Wizard template with 10 Refinements and Seelie Magic.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 06:15:47 AM »
The Merlin Glass shows up a LOT,  so it gets on his sheet permanently. He gets lots of other one-shot items, which I'm not sure how to model; Ritual (Crafting) is the obvious answer, but Edwin is totally not a spellcaster and that would require giving him a Discipline score which I really don't think he deserves...

Ritual (Crafting) doesn't require Discipline. You never roll to control anything when Crafting.

And if that doesn't fit him, there's Bag Of Tricks.

Incidentally, I think that Catch sounds worse than a +1 Catch.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 05:29:26 PM »
Ritual (Crafting) doesn't require Discipline. You never roll to control anything when Crafting.

Ah, cool.

Edwin isn't a crafter himself, but he has access to the Drood arsenal of magical items.

Incidentally, I think that Catch sounds worse than a +1 Catch.

I determined it as Knowledge: +0 (both catches seem very poorly known), availability: +1 (rare class of beings).

Later in the books it's arguably Knowledge +1 though.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 05:52:34 PM »
Drood Armor is flat out PI.  They talk about being completely invulnerable in there. 

Strange matter does it in the first book
(click to show/hide)
There are some very few, specific outsider weapons that can.  Most of them don't.
(click to show/hide)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 09:07:08 PM »
Drood Armor is flat out PI.  They talk about being completely invulnerable in there. 

Sometimes they talk like that, but in book 4 ultra-supernaturally-strong monsters are able to punch hard enough that the shock transfers through the armor and wounds/beats up the Drood inside it (also in book 6, but it gets defeated before much damage is done). The ARMOR itself won't break, but... the person inside is still taking consequences.

I believe it's also stated that the armor probably won't stand up to really extreme things like nukes, but we don't actually see that.