Author Topic: Question on Beta-Readers  (Read 4745 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Question on Beta-Readers
« on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »
Do those of you who have beta readers require an NDA before letting them read?
Is it something that should be done?
I've gotten enough written that I think I can start considering official Beta-readers instead of the one friend I have reading it now.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
Re: Question on Beta-Readers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:07:02 AM »
Nope, just people I trust who have good instincts regarding fiction.
If you're Stephen King or J.K. Rowling or somebody like that it might be a good idea, though.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:24 AM »
Do those of you who have beta readers require an NDA before letting them read?
Is it something that should be done?

If you are wary enough of someone to think of offering them an NDA, I doubt you should be considering them as a beta in the first place.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:39:35 AM »
If you are wary enough of someone to think of offering them an NDA, I doubt you should be considering them as a beta in the first place.

Yeah.  Beta's are just people too.  Frankly I've found the gaumat runs from people you know to out and out strangers.  And if you don't like their feedback you either cut them off right then and there.  Or else finish your novel and don't invite them again.

But NDA?  I don't even know what the name means and I've already got 4 full novels and a novella up on amazon.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »
But NDA?  I don't even know what the name means and I've already got 4 full novels and a novella up on amazon.

Non-Disclosure Agreement. 

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
Thanks for the info, just wanted to be sure.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:52:38 AM »
I'd just make sure you have time and date stamps on your files.  Like on your computer.  Then if you post on somewhere like here you also have time and date stamps.  I've not had a problem yet.  The other thing I've heard about is getting an ISBN as soon as you get ready to publish.

I think if you get big this is something you want to do. But I've yet to really get people pirating my stuff.  And that's general pirates at large.  I can't swear my beta's haven't shared with friends.  But I haven't seen any files cropping up on the web.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »
I'd just make sure you have time and date stamps on your files.  Like on your computer.  Then if you post on somewhere like here you also have time and date stamps.

It occurs to me I may have been taking something for granted that I shouldn't, here.

The absolute minimum safe number of backup copies to have of something you are working on is three, one of which lives in a different geographical location from the other two.  A trusted friend or beta, or a dedicated gmail account for sending things to yourself, will work for that. If you do that sensibly the time and datestamps should happen automatically.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 03:06:34 PM »
It occurs to me I may have been taking something for granted that I shouldn't, here.

The absolute minimum safe number of backup copies to have of something you are working on is three, one of which lives in a different geographical location from the other two.  A trusted friend or beta, or a dedicated gmail account for sending things to yourself, will work for that. If you do that sensibly the time and datestamps should happen automatically.

1)Laptop

2)Flash Drive

3)Yahoo E-Mail

That works well for me.  I haven't lost anything unreplacable that I am actively working on yet.

The Deposed King

Offline Anei

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Garden of Abandon
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Doesn't GMail sell your emails? Not like to anyone worth being annoyed about, but just little advertisers. Or is that only in-line text?

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »
I only use people I trust as beta readers. They're some of my closest friends and wouldn't even let another friend read anything I send without my permission.

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
I only use people I trust as beta readers. They're some of my closest friends and wouldn't even let another friend read anything I send without my permission.

I've had beta readers who were fans of my previous books and I didn't know them other than an e-mail requesting to join my beta reader group.  Of course that book came out within a couple weeks of them joining...

With you and your extended publishing schedule that might be more problematic.  But so far (fingers crossed) I've had not issues.

The Deposed King

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 02:35:59 PM »
Yes, if you have a faster release schedule or the story is part of an existing series either already on contract or in publication, you can afford to extend your trust that much further.

Offline Sully

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:16:32 PM »
Doesn't GMail sell your emails? Not like to anyone worth being annoyed about, but just little advertisers. Or is that only in-line text?

They analyze them so they know what ads to offer you. Not the same thing as selling. Nobody sees them.

Well, other than the NSA, of course. ::)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »
They analyze them so they know what ads to offer you. Not the same thing as selling. Nobody sees them.

Well, other than the NSA, of course. ::)
Any chance the NSA will publish my novel if I throw a bunch of terroristy keywords into the header?