Author Topic: POV's and whatnot  (Read 7577 times)

Offline Wordmaker

• Conversationalist
  • Paul Anthony Shortt
    • View Profile
    • Paul Anthony Shortt's Blog
Re: POV's and whatnot
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 06:33:07 AM »
On that note, if I can ask, how many books did you have out before you made the move?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 12:59:31 PM »
On that note, if I can ask, how many books did you have out before you made the move?

I wrote book one and half of book two and then had to go to the states to work.  Out of money.  Finished book 2 in the states and launched it while working a full time job.  And then had enough cash built up after settling my cc debt to make it a few months over here before I ran out again but I couldn't stay away from the family and the wife is in the middle of nursing school.

I immediately started pounding away on book 3 which grew into 3 and 4 after the split.

So I went out on a wing and a prayer after book 2.  Pretty sure I'll make it the rest of the year on what I've written so far and got in the pipeline already money wise but after that I've got to keep producing books like what I have so far.  If I lay a bunch of stink bombs I'll be back to spending half the year in the states, at least.

I came back here on february and here's hoping I'll be successful enough to make it until next feb!

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline slrogers

• Participant
  • Learning the art from those that love the dance...
    • View Profile
    • A blog of my own
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2013, 02:32:05 AM »

I came back here on february and here's hoping I'll be successful enough to make it until next feb!

Good luck. And congratulations again on doing so well with these books.

Have you noticed any difference in sales with new art work? Or is it hard to tell with the natural fluctuations sales tend to move in?

Offline The Deposed King

• Posty McPostington
  • Persuasion is the key to success.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Sky Wachter Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2013, 06:17:03 AM »
Good luck. And congratulations again on doing so well with these books.

Have you noticed any difference in sales with new art work? Or is it hard to tell with the natural fluctuations sales tend to move in?

What I think of as residual sales has definitely picked up.  Cheesy covers and a laughable name made a lot of people take a pass.  People commented saying I kept seeing this thing and shook my head but finally ran out of anything to read.  Wow these things are actually good!  Don't mind the covers or cheesy name, etc.

Up tick in buy through rate has been shown in the increase in sales.  I'm not sure how much.  I'd say maybe 50% on the first two books... ?  but its hard to say.  The rest not so much.  The covers seem to make the difference to the series entry points.  The first, second and prequel.  After that either you're hooked and buying it anyway or you're not and the cover's not enough to change your mind.

But yeah exact numbers are hard to tell because of the fluctuation.  You have a quick rise.  Then plataue but after that its all a slow decline.

The Deposed King

Proverbs 22:7, "The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave of the lender"

The Deposed King (a member of baen's bar)

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
Ah, thank you for the feedback and for your reasoning, its understandable. Being a short story though, do you think that it would be less of an issue?
Multiple perspectives in a short story is already frowned upon.  I'd be really careful about two first person perspectives.  I just got totally kicked out of a pretty well done series by having scenes from a second first person point of view.  It bothered me.
On the other hand, the way Brent Weeks Handled it in the Book after The Black Prism didn't(although he used the perspective to denote a mental shift in the characters, which is surprisingly effective.