Author Topic: Publication Schedule?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Publication Schedule?
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:35:21 PM »
Is there a publication date for the new cinder spires book?  Is the publication of the next Dresden Files book dependent on the publication of the steampunk novel?  (i.e. will he not really start Dresden until he finishes his steampunk book?  or, might he set that project aside if it takes too long to craft another piece of exquisite dresden art?)  Is there any information on either that I have missed?

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Publication Schedule?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
Is there a publication date for the new cinder spires book?  Is the publication of the next Dresden Files book dependent on the publication of the steampunk novel?  (i.e. will he not really start Dresden until he finishes his steampunk book?  or, might he set that project aside if it takes too long to craft another piece of exquisite dresden art?)  Is there any information on either that I have missed?

Most of the quasi official info I have had on the next DF novel (Skin Games) has been that it is likely to be out early next year. 

Jim hasn't finished the first Cinder Spires book.  I understand that he has already written a great deal of that book, however since he had to pause in writing it to submit the first two Skin Games chapters to Penguin by the end of April, he wrote those 2, and has written more SG chapters since then...  Based on that I don't think we really have a schedule for the Cinder Spires book. 

The conclusion of this forum post has links to several interviews and such Jim has done this year where Jim does do some dishing about the Cinder Spires series, as well as a little about Skin Games too.  Beyond that, if you dig on the iterwebs, you might find some interesting stuff that came out of MisCon that might tide you over some too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:18:59 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:34:54 PM »
Thanks for the information you have.  I'm always hoping that he'll return to those grinding schedules he had at the beginning of the series where he kept up the amazing rate of one a year.  But alas, I think that herculian schedule is a thing of the past.  His most recent schedule seems to be a little faster than one every 1.5 years, which is still a respectable rate, but it appears it usually takes him about 6-8 months of writing dresden to make a book, so the longer we were going without a cinder spires book (or even an announced publication date), the more I was getting worried that trying to write this new genre might seriously impact the schedule of the existing series.  I'm really hoping not, and would love to see (but not expecting) a return to the one book a year.  If you're right, that makes 2013 a dark and gloomy year, as it is the first year since he started the series in 2000 that there hasn't a Dresden novel.  (though in confirming that stat I see a that Wiki has an unsupported Dec release date listed).

Yes indeed, a dark and gloomy year.

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »
regarding the wiki dec release date, sorry: https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/348169461687259137

Make this the year you reread the series if you don't already do that ;)
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »
Thanks for the information you have.  I'm always hoping that he'll return to those grinding schedules he had at the beginning of the series where he kept up the amazing rate of one a year.  But alas, I think that herculian schedule is a thing of the past.  His most recent schedule seems to be a little faster than one every 1.5 years, which is still a respectable rate, but it appears it usually takes him about 6-8 months of writing dresden to make a book, so the longer we were going without a cinder spires book (or even an announced publication date), the more I was getting worried that trying to write this new genre might seriously impact the schedule of the existing series.  I'm really hoping not, and would love to see (but not expecting) a return to the one book a year.  If you're right, that makes 2013 a dark and gloomy year, as it is the first year since he started the series in 2000 that there hasn't a Dresden novel.  (though in confirming that stat I see a that Wiki has an unsupported Dec release date listed).

Yes indeed, a dark and gloomy year.

When Jim made his "long shot", his career has ended up with more demands on his time for things other than writing novels.  Additionally, he has mentioned that as he has aged, marathon writing sessions have become more physically painful to his hands/wrists.

That and any other mitigating circumstances aside though, his track record is that when he has a 3rd person perspective alternate series to go to between Dresden books, he actually has a much better rate of Dresden story weaving. 

Waiting can suck, but remember to be encouraging.  I've seen plenty of authors including Jim get a little downtrodden dealing with passive agressive fan missives to write faster. 

regarding the wiki dec release date, sorry: https://twitter.com/longshotauthor/status/348169461687259137

Make this the year you reread the series if you don't already do that ;)

Glad you covered that.  And yah, there's always rereads (just finished my rereads of SmF and DM to facilitate betaing the currently being produced 15th book which follows the pattern of those 2).  In the mean time *goes and checks*  Benedict Jacka's next Alex Verus book comes out in September and...

Holy crap, the latest Iron Druid book (Hunted, Kevin Hearne) came out 2 days ago.  Time to go nomnom
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:23:32 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*