Author Topic: Modeling Limited Intellectus?  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Modeling Limited Intellectus?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 08:43:02 PM »
Are those 'affect area' attacks considered to automatically hit, & targets just defend against damage?

It depends entirely on the narrative.
There is no mechanically-backed criteria for determining whether or not an attack 'hits'.
A 'successful' attack that inflicts stress may only have come close enough to 'hitting' its target that it required some meaningful exertion to avoid.
A 'successful' attack that inflicts consequences may have done so as a result of the subjects efforts to avoid the attack itself (eg. grinding rocks and dirt into your palms and knees as you dive for cover to avoid the rocket aimed at your head).
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2013, 12:37:28 AM »
Currently I'm thinking of Pack Instinct (invertebrates) + Echoes of the Beast + Supernatural Sense as a package to model what she does.  Free actions for sensory stuff & the area effect selective on her Incite cover most of it, as well as Incite's option to prolong effects.

Are those 'affect area' attacks considered to automatically hit, & targets just defend against damage?

Mechanically, they're normal zone attacks. If you don't match the defence roll of a target, you don't do stress to them.

I don't think Pack Instincts and Echoes Of The Beast are terribly suitable, for what it's worth. The insects aren't really distinct characters, and Pack Instincts requires everyone in the pack to have the Power.

And Taylor doesn't really have any bug-like qualities that I know of. She just controls them, she doesn't emulate them (though it's possible that her body language has been affected by her power). And she can't really talk to the bugs because they aren't smart enough for any kind of conversation. So I wouldn't give her Echoes Of The Beast either.

PS: Come to think of it, Incite Selective Effect probably isn't selective enough for Taylor. It just lets you avoid hitting youself with zone attacks, Taylor can avoid hitting anyone she doesn't want to hit. I guess that's what spray attacks are for.

Offline Ursine Enigma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2013, 02:47:54 AM »
Echoes allows animal-like senses, which she taps into to via the swarm;  the trapping is a bit I haven't decided if it's applicable.

Pack sense has the 'know the disposition of my troops' effect she has.

Supernatural Sense covers the clairsentience aspects.

It's a rough match, I agree, but I'm using the canon powers as a thematic & pricing guideline to come up with a Dresden version of the swarm sense.  Is 3 refresh about right for it?  Too high, too low?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »
Echoes allows animal-like senses, which she taps into to via the swarm;  the trapping is a bit I haven't decided if it's applicable.

Pack sense has the 'know the disposition of my troops' effect she has.

Those could both be Supernatural Senses, I think.

And 3 Refresh sounds about right.