Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta: August 30, 2013 - September 02, 2013

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013  (Read 10741 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con in Atlanta - Aug 30 to Sept 2, 2013
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 05:10:02 AM »
Sword and Laser posted their podcast, too!  Listening now.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2013/8/31/sl-podcast-140-dragoncon-2013-with-jim-butcher

Offline MetalFae

• Posty McPostington
  • ~Tiny, but fierce!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 05:16:25 AM »
I went to the first signing he had on Friday (mostly to make sure I got in because I know D*C lines escalate as the weekend rolls on) and got the three books I wanted signed - SubPress Backup, First Lord's Fury, and the hardcover Storm Front that my boyfriend managed to finagle from the internet for a cheap sum. Also, my boyfriend ended up ahead of me (if you were in line that day, we were - I think - the only Harry/Murphy pair in line) and he got our Bob the Skull that I put together years ago from an aquarium skull and some orange sticky notes signed.

Gotta find me a new skull now. XD This Bob's getting pride of place on the tall bookshelves away from kitties.

Also, do we have a photo sharing post? I've been looking for pics of us and I snapped a Maeve that was in line with us as well as a Michael and a Molly who teamed up together from different points in the line to take a picture.

I was wondering why that sounded so far away! We ended up towards the front but allllll the way to the left edge.

Oh, I was on the right side of the balcony if you were facing the balcony. :) I couldn't help it. Word vomit.

Nice Bob the skull!

I was in line waiting to meet Jim and some dude had a Bob the Skull that actually SAID quotes from the book and lit up. It was totally awesome. :)
MF you  should stop shoving things in peoples mouths. I'm feeling left out. :(
Oh really? Huh. Well this is awkward.

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 06:25:00 AM »
Oh, I was on the right side of the balcony if you were facing the balcony. :) I couldn't help it. Word vomit.

Nice Bob the skull!

I was in line waiting to meet Jim and some dude had a Bob the Skull that actually SAID quotes from the book and lit up. It was totally awesome. :)

So somewhere above and behind us. :)

And I saw a picture someone had taken of that! Alas, we are not that technologically advanced. The boyfriend wants to eventually finagle some lights into the eyesockets but we'll see how that works out.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline MetalFae

• Posty McPostington
  • ~Tiny, but fierce!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
I would totally buy a talking Bob the Skull. This needs to happen. Talking Bob the Skull needs to be mass produces. If my friend can have a Tribble snickering at her desk then I certainly want a talking Bob...

"Bob! Help me out here!"

"Can't. Boobs." Lol
MF you  should stop shoving things in peoples mouths. I'm feeling left out. :(
Oh really? Huh. Well this is awkward.

Offline tialessa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
Just wanted to say "thanks" to the magnificent jeditigger who was phenomenal at getting Jim where he needed to go (and on time)!

I've been a DragonCon volunteer for 16 years & y'all should know that most of the Senior Directors are huge Jim fans (but can't ever make it to see panels so watch things on youtube later - thank you DragonConTV + fans). This was the first year that the programming committee was able to schedule multiple signings (bigger room with more room to line up) & the first year authors had a chance to do a signing longer than one panel block (90 minutes) so I was extremely grateful. Last time I tried to get into the signing but they'd cut the line off SUPER early.

It was WONDERFUL to see a full house for his solo Q&A! I believe only a few folks were turned away per the security folks outside the door, but there were literally ZERO empty seats to be seen. (There could have been random empty seats where folks didn't move all the way to the end of the row, but we did all want the panel to start on time, right?) Since I've been on staff so long I know volunteers who know hotel staff so I was thankfully able to point them to a back way to get out to avoid the massive crowd leaving/coming in at the Westin.