Author Topic: Tehom/The primordial darkness before the light=Outsiders  (Read 10435 times)

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
  • Proud member of the Purple Court.
    • View Profile
Tehom/The primordial darkness before the light=Outsiders
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:10:29 PM »
(I'm in a bit of a hurry right now so my thoughts will be a bit scrambled. I'll probably clean them up later)

Tehom is an ancient force of chaos and darkness in RL mythology that has connections to Abrahamic mythology. Some sources (thanks to Ms.Duck):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehom

http://anystrom.blogspot.com/2008/08/tehom-and-tiamat-concept-of-chaols-in.html

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3141790

http://archive.org/stream/babylonianinflu00palmgoog#page/n8/mode/2up

It was the primordial darkness before God said "let their be light". It resented the light so the "spirit of God" quelled the darkness and in the DV cast it out. My theory is that Tehom is actually the Outsiders. All of them.

Tehom being the Outsiders also explains how the Outsiders can be a hivemind and also explains HWWB's statement in Ghost Story:

Quote from: Ghost Story Chapter 32
"This isn't your world," I whispered.

"Not now," He Who Walks Behind murmured, its smile widening. "But it will be ours again in just a little time."

The Outsiders being associated with "voids" and "coldness" also meshes nicely with the primioridal darkness being them.

This theory also meshes nicely with mithrandirthewhite's theory that the Firmament = Outer Gates ( http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,36172.msg1721369.html#msg1721369). In this theory the "flood" is actually the Outsiders/Tehom. The links I posted also say that Tehom  fundamentally means “flood.”

It also explains why the Outsiders would want "Empty Night". They resent the creation of "light' (this may mean actuall light and/or mortals. I suspect the sky being starless at the Outer Gates means it is both symbolic and literal). The "stars" could also represent being with souls/Free Will. Their are a ton of us surrounded by soulless beings and objects just like their are a ton of stars surrounded by darkness.

Tehom also has connection to being a dragon goddess in RL myth.I don't think that Jim will use this interpretation in the DV because Dragons aren't really "alien" enough to be Outsiders. Plus we've already seen Dragons before.

Tehom also has connections to "the Deeps". This is a thing that shows up both in RL myth and the DV:

It is first mentioned in Genesis 1:2:

And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. (King James version)

The Deeps are the primordial waters of chaos from which creation came from. The "darkness" is Tehom and the "Spirit of God" is well...God.

We have a version of this quote by Thomas in the books (which isn't in any of the popular translation of the bible either):

"Love is patient. Love is kind. Love always forgives, trusts, supports, and endures. Love never fails. When every star in the heavens grows cold, and when silence lies once more on the face of the deep, three things will endure: faith, hope, and love."

"And the greatest of these is love," I finished. "That's from the Bible."

"First Corinthians, chapter thirteen," Thomas confirmed.

Tehom can be literally translated as the Deep.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:26:49 AM by 123456789blaaa »
Please, call me Count :).

Thanks go to Shecky for the nickname and Serack for the avatar ^,..,^

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Tehom/The primordial darkness before the light=Outsiders
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 01:02:50 AM »
Need more time to consider it, but I did find it interesting and well written.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

wizard nelson

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 06:14:10 AM »
Well I'm not sure I can agree with it being ALL outsiders certainly it could be one. One of if not the greatest, a being so immense it blankets everything and 'destroys reality'(technically it probably bends it to how it perceives reality should be) like Azazoth... Azugoth? Mmm Az something, damn Lovecraftian grammar.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:12 AM »
Well I'm not sure I can agree with it being ALL outsiders certainly it could be one. One of if not the greatest, a being so immense it blankets everything and 'destroys reality'(technically it probably bends it to how it perceives reality should be) like Azazoth... Azugoth? Mmm Az something, damn Lovecraftian grammar.

Azathoth.

And that bit of you wondering how to spell Azathoth probably took more time to write up on the PS3 than searching for the answer on google would. :D
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:01:36 AM »
Azathoth.

And that bit of you wondering how to spell Azathoth probably took more time to write up on the PS3 than searching for the answer on google would. :D
One should not google the answer to everything. Thats not real knowledge unless you retain it.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
One should not google the answer to everything. Thats not real knowledge unless you retain it.

You shouldn't complain about not knowing things when they're unwilling to look it up either.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:29:39 AM »
You shouldn't complain about not knowing things when they're unwilling to look it up either.
Umph, I wasn't complaining about not knowing, I was complaining about the great list of nonsensical names that bounces around my head when I try to think of what I googled on them ;)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 08:45:00 AM »
Umph, I wasn't complaining about not knowing, I was complaining about the great list of nonsensical names that bounces around my head when I try to think of what I googled on them ;)

Sure sounded (technically read, but you know what I mean) like you were complaining about not knowing. But that's enough of this conversation.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 08:51:43 AM by TheCuriousFan »

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 02:13:06 AM »
Any more thoughts anyone?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 02:40:38 AM »
Griff says:

1) The Elder/Great/Old Ones of the Dresdenverse, in parallel with the Lovecraftian creatures, are trans-dimensional non-atmospheric space aliens. 
2) The Outsiders, the lessers of the Elder/Great/Old Ones, are smaller-scale than the others, but of similar natures and evolution.  But they're still space aliens.

I've got this whole "tentacles are cosmic gravity propellers" idea in my head.  It's very believable... from a certain point of view.
Luke:  "A certain point of vew?"
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Offline skaerber

• Conversationalist
  • I am the last... I will tell the audient void...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:52:11 AM »
Well if we think of the generic outsider (is there a generic outsider?) as say, one of Cthulhu's starspawn (if Cthulhu is supposed to be Nemesis tables will be flipped) it would make sense that they at least have the ability to work perfectly with each other.
"Cheese! For everyone!!" -Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness

Offline 123456789blaaa

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 03:07:20 AM »
Griff says:

1) The Elder/Great/Old Ones of the Dresdenverse, in parallel with the Lovecraftian creatures, are trans-dimensional non-atmospheric space aliens. 
2) The Outsiders, the lessers of the Elder/Great/Old Ones, are smaller-scale than the others, but of similar natures and evolution.  But they're still space aliens.

I've got this whole "tentacles are cosmic gravity propellers" idea in my head.  It's very believable... from a certain point of view.You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Technically, Tehom is a space alien  :P.

Well if we think of the generic outsider (is there a generic outsider?) as say, one of Cthulhu's starspawn (if Cthulhu is supposed to be Nemesis tables will be flipped) it would make sense that they at least have the ability to work perfectly with each other.

Why? Do they have that ability in one of Lovecrafts stories?

Offline skaerber

• Conversationalist
  • I am the last... I will tell the audient void...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 03:14:02 AM »
Why? Do they have that ability in one of Lovecrafts stories?
It was mentioned in "At the Mountains of Madness", I unfortunately have not read that one (I only have the "Call of Cthulhu" compilation sadly enough), if anyone else can answer feel free.
"Cheese! For everyone!!" -Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 04:08:46 AM »
It was mentioned in "At the Mountains of Madness", I unfortunately have not read that one (I only have the "Call of Cthulhu" compilation sadly enough), if anyone else can answer feel free.

the elder things, I believe, have wing like structures they use to fly through space by warping gravity, yes

note they are not outsiders, IMO. they are alien life forms from ancient times but not evil; they are scientists.

while not human and not friends of humans, I think in the lovecraft verse they have the best chance of actually stopping the greater evils.

after they finish dissecting us for their experiments, of course :)
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Zohak

• Participant
    • View Profile