Author Topic: Morts secret, hallows and Mantles, Series spoilers.  (Read 11530 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Morts secret, hallows and Mantles, Series spoilers.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 04:25:20 AM »
Wasn't Harry really odd for being able to possess people?
Ghost story gave me the impression that it was one of the standard abilities of a ghost. Always on invitation of the host though. Lea knew of the technique, Stuart could do it as well.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:17 AM »
Ghost story gave me the impression that it was one of the standard abilities of a ghost. Always on invitation of the host though. Lea knew of the technique, Stuart could do it as well.

I was talking about possessing the unwilling and taking control, being let in to help is different. Though I suppose the term possession applies to both the unwilling and on invitation versions, my bad.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 05:07:06 AM »
I was talking about possessing the unwilling and taking control, being let in to help is different. Though I suppose the term possession applies to both the unwilling and on invitation versions, my bad.
Harry needed an invitation. Corpstaker needed one as well when he was a ghost at least he told so to the fomor servitor but if I remember correctly after he ate all those ghosts he could possess Butters without one.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 05:15:34 AM »
Harry needed an invitation. Corpstaker needed one as well when he was a ghost at least he told so to the fomor servitor but if I remember correctly after he ate all those ghosts he could possess Butters without one.

Not when he first jumped into Mort and threw up a shield he didn't, he did get booted out within a few seconds though.

Rest in peace mdodd.

wizard nelson

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 06:04:11 AM »
Wasn't Harry really odd for being able to possess people?

Not when he first jumped into Mort and threw up a shield he didn't, he did get booted out within a few seconds though.
Not especially? I thought the reason he got Mort was he was too terrified to respond, plus having experience with such things he knew what Harry could do, survival instinct, well training anyway.
I'm not sure Mort can draw them in.
Mort does draw them in iirc, specifically. Then sir stuart talks about he thought Mort forgot how to do that, implying it was intentional and probably more complex then simple spirit commanding.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 06:06:23 AM »
I think active invitation is not necessary. Acceptance will be enough. Corpstaker needed Morts permission not his invitation.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2013, 06:46:26 AM »
I think active invitation is not necessary. Acceptance will be enough. Corpstaker needed Morts permission not his invitation.

Why did you say Harry needed an invitation rather than permission then? Just a slip-up?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:59:01 AM by TheCuriousFan »

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2013, 10:55:49 AM »
Why did you say Harry needed an invitation rather than permission then? Just a slip-up?
I did not pay attention to the finer details. Have to look it up in ghost story to be sure though.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline piroufreek

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »
I reread that section in GS.  At location 828 of 7929 (Kindle version), Mort says that he needed to borrow Harry's skills for a moment, then thanks him.  That seems invitational to me...

Offline Cozarkian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 06:01:47 PM »

After he ate all the ghosts he could manifest a body and do the eye-contact spirit swap with Butters. Butters jumped into the manifested body but didn't have the ability to maintain the manifestation.

I thought Harry accidentally landed in Mort, and Mort basically grabbed him, used Harry to throw up a shield, then booted him out. That gave Harry enough knowledge to realize later that he could possess Molly (with permission) and use his magic through her.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2013, 11:45:54 PM »
The Nightmare was a (supercharged, admittedly) ghost who could possess an unwilling human (Lydia).

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 12:14:15 AM »
I reread that section in GS.  At location 828 of 7929 (Kindle version), Mort says that he needed to borrow Harry's skills for a moment, then thanks him.  That seems invitational to me...

Quote from: Ghost Story Chapter 6
I moved on instinct, throwing myself uselessly between the weapon and the ectomancer. I tripped on a fragment of the ghost-dust-painted door and wound up falling in a heap on top of Mort and . . .
. . . sunk into him.

I felt my mouth move as Mort’s voice—a voice that rang with a resonance and authority I had seldom encountered before, said, “Get off of me!”

“I . . .” Mort shook his head and looked at me.
“Magic,” I said quietly. My bell was still ringing a little, but I was able to form complete sentences. “I . . . sort of bumped into him and called up a shield.”
Sir Stuart lifted his eyebrows and said, “Huh.”
“I needed to borrow your skills for a moment,” Mort said, somewhat stiffly. “Appreciate it.”

Sounds like he didn't expect Dresden to come in, threw him out in a panic and then tried to claim it was what he wanted all along afterwards to me.

Rest in peace mdodd.