Author Topic: Statting Up Worm Characters  (Read 63004 times)

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Statting Up Worm Characters
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2013, 12:56:06 PM »
The aspects are perfect.  The powers look good.  I think anything builtin should just be a power. Most of his powers ARE his armour.  I suppose you could make it an iop but i'm not sure he can actually take it off anymore.

The enchanted items are perfect although the nano blade could be interpreted as aeaebg.  Maybe the sword of the cross version that requires a fp to use.

What is the tinker power...i suppose i could go through the thread and find it.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2013, 06:09:27 PM »
The aspects are perfect.  The powers look good.  I think anything builtin should just be a power. Most of his powers ARE his armour.  I suppose you could make it an iop but i'm not sure he can actually take it off anymore.

It can still get messed up, I would think. Plus, he needs the refresh bonus for staying in the positive range.

The enchanted items are perfect although the nano blade could be interpreted as aeaebg.  Maybe the sword of the cross version that requires a fp to use.

They cause tons of damage to everyone, not just piercing Toughness. Therefore, they're just really powerful weapons.

What is the tinker power...i suppose i could go through the thread and find it.

Tinker = Thaumaturgy, except Craftsmanship = Discipline, Scholarship = Conviction. Lore is still Lore, though.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2013, 06:20:09 PM »
They cause tons of damage to everyone, not just piercing Toughness. Therefore, they're just really powerful weapons.

It goes through Everything!  Endbringers included.  But yes, a high weapon value would definitely represent this.  Especially since you can use an enchanted item slot to turn a normal little dagger into an instrument of death that can cut through concrete.

Speaking of IoP  I might attach that to his halberg somehow, actually.  This can actually be lost...although, he can summon it back to himself....but still.  Complications and compels...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 07, 2013, 01:26:47 AM »
The IoP stuff is honestly kind of arbitrary. For the sake of the writeup I'm assuming he can and sometimes does take his armour off. If he can't, his Aspects should reflect that so that he can be Compelled. And the Item Limitation should be removed.

You can make up for the lost Refresh by removing Inhuman Speed or something.

As for the Halberd, I'm treating it as a multi-function enchanted item.

I think anything builtin should just be a power.

I considered giving him Natural Weaponry instead of Implanted Items to represent his built-in nano-thorn generators, but weapon 2-4 just seemed piddly compared to what he was capable of.

And there are a lot of other gadgets which might be part of his body that are easier to represent as Enchanted Items than as Powers.

What narphoenix said.

Also there is a level of Toughness that defeats them, and they're ineffective against Physical Immunity and Recovery.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 07, 2013, 04:08:52 AM »
Speaking of Immunity and Recovery, I think we underestimated Crawler. I just reread Prey, and nothing actually stops him. You shouldn't be able to take him down via physical stress.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 07, 2013, 04:38:32 AM »
Speaking of Immunity and Recovery, I think we underestimated Crawler. I just reread Prey, and nothing actually stops him. You shouldn't be able to take him down via physical stress.

Piggot did.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 07, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »
Anyway. Inspired by series on deviantart, I give you:

EDWARD CULLEN VS. THE WORMVERSE

Basically: various ways Edward Cullen dies thanks to work characters. I'll start us off, but please add:

*Edward is pinned to the ground, struggling to get up thanks to a mass of bugs*
Taylor: I'd give up struggling, if I were you. Bugs can exert a force several times their own weight. This is checkmate. *pours gasoline, lights match*

Tattletale: So, basically, you're a pedophile who uses bestiality metaphors, you're an emotionally abusive boyfriend, and you're a mass murderer.
Edward: I-I don't wanna live anymore. *rips own head in half*
Tattletale: *grins and uses flamethrower*

Dinah Alcott: The probability you will survive the next 3.4 seconds is 0.000674 percent.
Edward: *spontaneously bursts into flames*

Bonesaw: YAY! GLITTER ART!!!
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 07, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »
I actually think the Cullens would do okay in the Wormverse. They're pretty powerful, and smart enough to keep their heads down. There are things that would eat them for breakfast, but as long as they kept to themselves they probably wouldn't meet any of them.

Anyway, the Crawler thing was discussed starting here.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 08, 2013, 04:56:12 AM »
Anyway, here's my take on Dinah Alcott:

(click to show/hide)

Lore is peak for obvious reasons. Her Resources are high because she could answer one question a week for people in Asia and be set for life, as she puts it. Contacts are high because she's the former mayor's niece and the cousin of a hero, not to mention everyone wanting to ask her questions. I briefly debated dropping Prophecy: Mental Library seems much to what she can do. But ultimately, I kept both.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 08, 2013, 06:51:17 AM »
Mostly looks good.

I dunno about the balance of that last stunt, though, and Mental Library has some baggage that might not be appropriate. Should Dinah be able to learn which hairstyles were popular in the Ottoman Empire with nothing more than her power?

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »
Isn't Inexplicable Knowledge handled almost entirely through Lore anyway?

Speaking of which, the skeleton of Tattletale's powers/stunts is probably going to end up being based on Inexplicable Knowledge and a few Lore stunts for skill-replacement. Maybe a Guide My Hand esque thing where she uses her power to understand stuff in non-knowledge situations.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »
I dunno about the balance of that last stunt, though,

One one hand, Inexplicable Knowledge uses a fair amount of skills. But on the other, one of the primary skills is Lore, anyway. I figure that the stunt should be balanced.

and Mental Library has some baggage that might not be appropriate. Should Dinah be able to learn which hairstyles were popular in the Ottoman Empire with nothing more than her power?

Mental Library has a situation built in for this. It says to resolve any limits with compels (which works because you need an aspect related to having it anyway). And Dinah isn't super limited, either. She could figure out a fair bit by asking the right questions.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 08, 2013, 11:27:53 PM »
Isn't Inexplicable Knowledge handled almost entirely through Lore anyway?

No, it uses all knowledge skills.

One one hand, Inexplicable Knowledge uses a fair amount of skills. But on the other, one of the primary skills is Lore, anyway. I figure that the stunt should be balanced.

Inexplicable Knowledge doesn't really have its own skill breakdown. It just uses normal knowledge skills.

So that stunt basically lets Lore absorb most of Scholarship wholesale. Plus it gives Lore the knowledge trappings of Performance, Guns, Weapons, and probably some other skills.

Mental Library has a situation built in for this. It says to resolve any limits with compels (which works because you need an aspect related to having it anyway). And Dinah isn't super limited, either. She could figure out a fair bit by asking the right questions.

I guess, but Compels are a pretty crude tool. And Dinah has a limited number of questions per day, which would make research difficult.

Magicpockets

« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but I hope one of you can help me: Is there a way to read Worm without Wordpress? That site is blocked in the country where I am currently staying, and it will be another couple of months before I get back. Standard Proxies like TOR don't work here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2013, 10:51:35 PM »
I don't think so, but it's just text. It can easily be copy-pasted onto other sites. Copying the entire story would take a while just due to sheer length, though.

Which chapter are you on?

If Wildbow doesn't mind, I can copy an arc or two into a Tumblr post.