Author Topic: BAMF! (Phasing/Same Zone Teleportation)  (Read 6978 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: BAMF! (Phasing/Same Zone Teleportation)
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:56 PM »
Blocks are not armour and movement is not an attack.
I don't see your point. A grapple blocks me from doing things. I am doing something better than the block that is preventing me from doing so, I get to do my thing, minus the block that limits me.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 03:29:50 PM »
minus the block that limits me.
Nope.
You beat the block.  You do your thing.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
You cannot move while grappled unless you make a roll to do so that surpasses the grapple's block strength.
I am not aware of any language in the rules that imposes a restriction in excess of this.  If you are, please point it out to me.

YS pg 211

When you successfully grapple a target, you
establish a block against all actions he might
take in the exchange. The target is also prohibited
from sprinting (page 212) or supplemental
movement
(page 213) until the grapple is broken

bolded mine

Therefore you are not even allowed to attempt to do a sprint action until you do some kind of action that:
1. Overcomes the block
2. Is a justification to break the block.

Since sprinting is a full action, you would be unable to sprint in the same round that you were involved in a grapple.

You'd have to, first, do something to break the grapple (action), you could then make a move (supplemental).

I was trying to point out that, if you can "teleport", you could do a sprint action while grappled - so long as you beat the grapple strength.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:04 PM »
Nope.
You beat the block.  You do your thing.
I'm pretty sure the block still reduces your shifts, like a defense roll would against an attack. Just because it is not an attack does not mean the block does nothing against the action.

Though it seems to be moot in the case of a grapple, looking at Taran's post. Didn't realize you weren't allowed to use a sprint action to break a grapple.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 04:02:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure the block still reduces your shifts, like a defense roll would against an attack. Just because it is not an attack does not mean the block does nothing against the action.

Though it seems to be moot in the case of a grapple, looking at Taran's post. Didn't realize you weren't allowed to use a sprint action to break a grapple.

Here's what it says under blocks

During the exchange,
any time a character wants to perform the action
that’s covered by the block
, he must roll against
the block and meet or exceed the block strength
to be able to perform that action. If he fails, he
cannot perform the action in question. If he
meets or exceeds the block strength, the action
resolves normally, with benefits for extra shifts if
the roll beats the block strength by a wide margin

You'll note that this paragraph isn't specific to an attack.  It is just talking about an action.

TBH, I remember hearing that the full effect occures if it bypasses the block, but I don't remember if I read it in YS, or if I just read it on these boards.  From the quote above, it seems like the block reduces the effect.

If I was to do a maneuver(4shifts) on someone, the block(4shifts) or the persons defense(3shifts)-whichever is higher- would dictate whether the maneuver is sticky or fragile.  In this case, it would be fragile.

If I'm trying to get past a border (3) and someone is blocking the way (5), my sprint(6) and the amount of shifts I get is going to be determined by whichever is higher.  In this case, the block and not the border.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2013, 04:12:40 PM »
Well ok, that makes sense. I am no longer seeing if I can perform the task itself, I am trying to perform the task, while someone else is trying to stop me. My opponent now comes into focus, and that is what I am rolling against now. The fact that my task will succeed is pretty much a given, once I am able to defeat whoever is keeping me from it.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »
I'm not sure what you're saying Haru. I''m not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing :P  In the case of sprinting.

Sprint roll 6
border 3
That would normally be 1 zone +1 for each shift of success, so 4 zones total

If someone was blocking that same border
Sprint roll 6
border 3
Block 5
The result should only be 2 zones - not 4.

I don't see why the block wouldn't reduce the success.  In what circumstance is this too powerful?
Maneuvers, attacks, movement.  It works for all these things equally well.

Edit:  I think I know where the confusion lies...it's with this sentence:

"the action resolves normally"

Which can be interpreted as "it resolves as if there had been no block in the first place"

I take that sentence as,
"it resolves as per the normal rules of extra shifts for success"

because right after that phrase, it says,

"with benefits for extra shifts if
the roll beats the block strength by a wide margin"

It doesn't specify the original difficulty.  It specifies the block strength.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:45:44 PM by Taran »

Offline Wolfhound

• Participant
  • Trí Dhia a mhaireann an mhuintir go deo
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »
Yo

Consider my hands rubbing in evil GM glee. Thanks.

Oh, just to verify - most of those new powers are on the custom power master list thread in the resources forum?
Dresden Files: Dallas (DFRPG)  http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/dfd
#6 Top Campaign on Obsidian Portal, 200+ fans
2011 December Campaign of the Month (Campaign of the Year runner-up)
Won't y'all come on by and join the fun?

Offline GryMor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2013, 05:42:46 PM »
I could be mistaken, but my recollection is that a fragile aspect is difficulty 3 and a sticky aspect is difficulty 4; degree of succsess does not matter for the maneuver, only the actual result. A block or other defense simply establishes a (potentially higher) difficulty. That is, a maneuver that overcomes a strength 4+ block will result in a sticky aspect.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2013, 05:55:16 PM »
Nah, thats's only for maneuvers that don't have a resistance attached to it, or when trying to figure out how much power to pump into a spell maneuver.

So a spell that has no-one resisting it, has a fragile difficulty of 3 and a sticky difficulty of 4.  Skill maneuvers have a difficulty set by the GM but usually the difficulties are the same as what I just mentionned.

If someone is resisting a spell maneuver, there is no target roll.  They simply resist the Power of the maneuver.  So, assuming a power 5 maneuver, if the target resists with a 4, it is sticky, if he resists with a 5 it is fragile, if he resists with a 6, the maneuver fails.

So, if you wanted to put up a block against a maneuver, if you put up a 5 shift block, the wizard would have to pump at least 5 shifts of power into the spell to make it work - and then it would only be fragile.  To make it sticky, he'd have to pump in 6.

Skill maneuvers that are vs a target require the target to make a defense.  Your skill roll is the target difficulty.  If they equal the roll it's fragile, if it is less it is sticky.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
I'm not sure what you're saying Haru. I''m not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing :P  In the case of sprinting.

Sprint roll 6
border 3
That would normally be 1 zone +1 for each shift of success, so 4 zones total

If someone was blocking that same border
Sprint roll 6
border 3
Block 5
The result should only be 2 zones - not 4.

I don't see why the block wouldn't reduce the success.  In what circumstance is this too powerful?
Maneuvers, attacks, movement.  It works for all these things equally well.
Ok, first, I would probably not just add 1 zone for each shift over the success. I would see what the next border is and subtract. And again, until the roll is used up. I know, that's not what the rules say, but it doesn't make sense, that I'd need a roll of 3 to jump a fence and then for each subsequent fence I'd need only 1 shift.
Sprinting to me is at first only crossing over to the next zone. Since those rolls are usually not very high, you will often enough end up with a lot of overflow, so you just use that up until you moved as far as you wanted to, be that with 1 shift for 1 zone or the other method I lined out.

What I meant, going from your example, is that the Block of 5 would replace the border 3. The idea is, that it is no longer important that you can climb the fence, but can you climb the fence while someone is trying to stop you. So yes, the result would be 2 zones of movement, 5 for the first one to get past the block and 1 for the second.

I could be mistaken, but my recollection is that a fragile aspect is difficulty 3 and a sticky aspect is difficulty 4; degree of succsess does not matter for the maneuver, only the actual result. A block or other defense simply establishes a (potentially higher) difficulty. That is, a maneuver that overcomes a strength 4+ block will result in a sticky aspect.
Not quite. Those numbers are from magical maneuvers, those work a bit different.
For regular maneuvers, you either roll against a fixed difficulty or an opponent. But your opponent can have set up a block, which would be sort of a pre-defense roll. If you tie with your opponent or roll exactly the target number, your aspect is fragile, if you roll at least 1 over, your aspect is sticky.

So the target number for an easy maneuver could be 2, so it would become sticky if you rolled a 3 or higher. Or someone would try to stop you from doing it, and you roll a 5, the opponent rolls a 4 to defend against your maneuver, the aspect is sticky as well.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
Ok, first, I would probably not just add 1 zone for each shift over the success. I would see what the next border is and subtract. And again, until the roll is used up. I know, that's not what the rules say, but it doesn't make sense, that I'd need a roll of 3 to jump a fence and then for each subsequent fence I'd need only 1 shift.
Sprinting to me is at first only crossing over to the next zone. Since those rolls are usually not very high, you will often enough end up with a lot of overflow, so you just use that up until you moved as far as you wanted to, be that with 1 shift for 1 zone or the other method I lined out.

Yeah...I see that, but that's complicating things.  Just for the sake of argument, we'll say it's a fence followed by zone after zone of straight open country.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2013, 07:12:15 PM »
Yeah...I see that, but that's complicating things.  Just for the sake of argument, we'll say it's a fence followed by zone after zone of straight open country.
That's pretty much what I did in the next paragraph. The block replaces the zone border, and after that the sprint action is resolved regularly. You just need a higher roll to get over the fence, so naturally, there will be less shifts left to move additional zones.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:50 PM »
Oh, just to verify - most of those new powers are on the custom power master list thread in the resources forum?

Yes. In theory, they all are.

But if I were you I'd use the text document instead of the thread. It's more organized and easier to search. Teleportation and Superhuman Acrobatics are just a Ctrl-F away.

Offline Cadd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
That text document is an absolute goldmine! The only annoying thing with it is all the BBCode tags in it, but those are fairly easily edited out :p