Author Topic: catch for an angel who turned human  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
catch for an angel who turned human
« on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:08 PM »
I'm just putting the finishing touches on a character, but I'm drawing a blank on the catch. He's n angel who saw human suffering and decided to do something about it. He was expelled from heaven for it, but kept part of his powers, including supernatural toughness, to be able to help them. But neither I or the group has an idea of what to take as a catch. Anyone got an idea? We were thinking demonic and such already, but it doesn't feel right for this character.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Dr.FunLove

Re: catch for an angel who turned human
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 06:37:52 PM »
Also, "demonic" is vague - in that case I'd make the Catch specific to the "damned Fallen". Technically, in this case, you're fallen as well...just less damned for it. Why not tie the Catch to the humanity your character found so precious?

So maybe the blood of <insert suffering or forgotten human>. Or maybe tie it back to your old crew - true faith in the agenda of "Heaven" maybe.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:58:10 PM »
The catch is obviously Free Will - that's worth at least a +3.  So, you're protected from stuff like vampires, renfields (and any other human not acting of their own volition), and fae, and any denarians that have just overpowered their host and taken control.  But some random thug in a dark alley is a real threat, and mortal wizards would be especially dangerous.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 07:06:50 PM »
I think the fact that he has fallen to Earth is enough "punishment" for the excersing of free will in violation of his, lets call them orders. The other Fallen we deal with don't have a similar Catch so why would he?

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »
what about mortals?  I mean you've fallen to help them, whether or not they act good or bad.  It seems that you shouldn't really have any power over them.

You could get super specific:  A weapon dipped in the blood of a child...

Which would be kind of ironic because you're trying to help people, meanwhile all these bad people are killing children so that they can imbue their weapon with the ability to hurt you...man, that sucks!  It would want to make you keep your catch very, very, very secret...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 07:48:50 PM by Taran »

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 08:09:53 PM »
That would imply though that there is something special about children though right? I mean he fell to help humankind...not just a specific section of them.

I'll give you that it would definitely be mind-blasting for our fallen angel...

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:18:52 PM »
I said a child because I was thinking "blood of the innocent".   It could be something similar...I just like the irony.

Dr.FunLove

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
Ironicalness is good.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 08:43:36 PM »
The catch is obviously Free Will - that's worth at least a +3.  So, you're protected from stuff like vampires, renfields (and any other human not acting of their own volition), and fae, and any denarians that have just overpowered their host and taken control.  But some random thug in a dark alley is a real threat, and mortal wizards would be especially dangerous.
I really like this. Great idea. Thanks. I hope the player goes for it as well, but at least for me, it is pretty much what I was looking for.

I don't really like the blood of an innocent thing. While it is a cool idea and certainly fitting, it would be more trouble than it's worth in this case. Thanks for the contribution.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
Angels have been described as all spirit if I recall.  So what if he is particularly susceptible to spirit magic and manipulations?  Or what if it is a specific incantation like the Keys of Solomon? 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/