Author Topic: [CD Spoils] Golden Light  (Read 8544 times)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
[CD Spoils] Golden Light
« on: April 06, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
So what do we think about the golden light emanating from Harry's dream-staff during the mental whammy showdown with HWWBf?
     I lifted my staff and golden white fire began to pour from the
carved runes as I gathered power into it.

We've seen the staff glow a variety of colors, but golden-white is a combo I don't think we've seen before, at least in the staff.  There was at least one occasion that golden light emanated from the runes of his blasting rod, but as a fire magic construct, gold/yellow/red/white might be common.

The only other golden glow I could find reference too (real quick search) was a golden glow around Ammoracchius in GP, which seemed to be a natural color for it in opposition to Harry's blue wizard light.
     Amoracchius burst into conflicting shades of blue and golden
light, as my power wrapped around it, a coruscation of sparks
that made Mavra howl in surprise and pain.

Do we think this was a temporary thing since it was in his head?  Or do we think it might be a sign of another change?  Maybe some aftereffect of his death and rebirth?  Or a new manifestation of soulfire, which I believe has previously been portrayed with a bluish light.

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
  • Temporary Catatonic Madman on Occasion
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
Re: [CD Spoils] Golden Light
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 02:09:37 AM »
I think, given that there was, IIRC, mention of Soulfire pouring from the cracks in the ground in that conflict, it implies that the WG (or some Archangel) approves of Harry's use of Soulfire. Especially in that circumstance.

I don't think Soulfire is intrinsically linked to Harry's Starborn status, but in a mental struggle like that, I think it can help, for sure.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:40:42 AM »
I think, given that there was, IIRC, mention of Soulfire pouring from the cracks in the ground in that conflict, it implies that the WG (or some Archangel) approves of Harry's use of Soulfire. Especially in that circumstance.

I don't think Soulfire is intrinsically linked to Harry's Starborn status, but in a mental struggle like that, I think it can help, for sure.
But the glow of Soulfire has been shown to be blue and white.  The staff glowed a golden-white.  That doesn't match the Soulfire we've seen him wield so far.  Are you saying you think that the golden-white light was Soulfire, but backed by a higher power?

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:43:51 AM »
Higher Power, or Harry Power.

It was either an infusion of WG, or Starborn "energy" (whatever that is). Any other explanation is a huge stretch IMO.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:50:48 AM »
Higher Power, or Harry Power.

It was either an infusion of WG, or Starborn "energy" (whatever that is). Any other explanation is a huge stretch IMO.
I was thinking it might be a side effect of his crossing over and back.  We've seen him use Soulfire, Hellfire, Winter Knight power, and his own power with a staff, and it wasn't golden.  But I have a hard time believing the WG would take an active roll in things.  Maybe it could have been an angel casting their lot in, but with it coming from his staff, I got the idea it was internal. 

Maybe it could be this 'starborn' power.  We haven't really seen him use starborn power before, so maybe his power turns golden in the presence of an Outsider.

That'd be a handy detection tool.   :o

Offline madness

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:35 AM »
Maybe the golden white light represents faith magic on some fundamental level, not just WG related magic?

Normally Harry's use of faith magic is limited to powering his amulet against supernatural beings. 

The confrontation in his mind with Sharkface is sort of the first moment that Harry finally accepts and embraces his duty and his purpose in the greater scheme of things.  Starborn, Warden, Winter Knight, Uriel's champion, etc.

So maybe the light symbolized some internal power.

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:00:54 AM »
My vote is Starborn power, but backed by Soulfire. I don't think Soulfire is any sort of Kryptonite for Outsiders at all, but I think for a Starborn, it's still a multiplier.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 05:45:04 AM »
I was thinking it might be a side effect of his crossing over and back.  We've seen him use Soulfire, Hellfire, Winter Knight power, and his own power with a staff, and it wasn't golden.  But I have a hard time believing the WG would take an active roll in things.  Maybe it could have been an angel casting their lot in, but with it coming from his staff, I got the idea it was internal. 

Maybe it could be this 'starborn' power.  We haven't really seen him use starborn power before, so maybe his power turns golden in the presence of an Outsider.

That'd be a handy detection tool.   :o
I also think Harry influences soul fire he begins to understand it.  In CDs when he was freeing himself from Mother Winter's bonds, it became something different.  It was no longer as Harry put it something to add to a spell as a power boost, but something from with in him, him or if you will his soul.. Since the staff is an extension of his power, yeah I can see soul fire being a part of that.

wizard nelson

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »
I thought since the light was creating snowflakes the whiteness was his winter power. Harry hasn't found his faith yet. Not that he couldn't. Harry using faith magic is seen in FM, But i think unknown to harry his symbol actually represents the goddess who gave humans magic (think its an eygptian myth?) to do with it what he believes its for, a tool for humans against the greater powers. I say this is likely because I'm pretty sure the goddess is who made an appearance in SF to calm Harry. When harry starts using faith magic we'll know.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
I thought since the light was creating snowflakes the whiteness was his winter power. Harry hasn't found his faith yet. Not that he couldn't. Harry using faith magic is seen in FM, But i think unknown to harry his symbol actually represents the goddess who gave humans magic (think its an eygptian myth?) to do with it what he believes its for, a tool for humans against the greater powers. I say this is likely because I'm pretty sure the goddess is who made an appearance in SF to calm Harry. When harry starts using faith magic we'll know.
  Against Bianca in SF he did use a kind of faith magic, it saved his life.  He said at the time that the reason a Cross works against a vamp is a person's faith.  He said he has faith in his magic and he used his pentacle in the same way as a Cross.

wizard nelson

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »
  Against Bianca in SF he did use a kind of faith magic, it saved his life.  He said at the time that the reason a Cross works against a vamp is a person's faith.  He said he has faith in his magic and he used his pentacle in the same way as a Cross.
i AM aware of this and excluded it intentionally. Holding up a cross believing it will repel evil isn't magic, its faith. Harry even explains this, even says other wizards do believe their deity interacts with their power. By faith magic i presume a magical working applied with a measure of pure faith. Harry calling light to his amulet isn't really any more magical than a dark ages ignorant peasant repelling vampires through shear belief. Now Micheal slewing off vampires whilst spouting prayers or healing Harry in Smf, that could be faith 'magic'.

Offline aShorty21

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
i AM aware of this and excluded it intentionally. Holding up a cross believing it will repel evil isn't magic, its faith. Harry even explains this, even says other wizards do believe their deity interacts with their power. By faith magic i presume a magical working applied with a measure of pure faith. Harry calling light to his amulet isn't really any more magical than a dark ages ignorant peasant repelling vampires through shear belief. Now Micheal slewing off vampires whilst spouting prayers or healing Harry in Smf, that could be faith 'magic'.
The fact that a dark ages ignorant peasant can repel a vampire is magic almost by definition. It might not be flashy and cool, but it is effective.
DV aShorty21 V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP- JB TH++ WG++ CL SW BC++ MC---- SH(Velvet Room+++++,Murphy+++,Sarissa++,Lash+,Lara+,Molly--)

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
Harry clearly states that the protection invested by the amulet is from his faith in magic.  And that magic glows blue.

White sounds like Winter, but golden-white does not.  There was a combination of powers getting used in that scene, and I don't doubt that some of it was WK related.  But the golden light seems like something else.

Offline KrelianZG

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • KrelianZG's Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 05:27:40 PM »
White sounds like Winter, but golden-white does not.  There was a combination of powers getting used in that scene, and I don't doubt that some of it was WK related.  But the golden light seems like something else.

Harry is now the chosen Champion of the golden calf from Exodus. The BAT culminates in a fist fight between Harry and Moses.

Offline jb2point0

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 06:21:09 PM »
Could it be a color taken from his sanctum, DR? Not the well, but the genius loci itself?
Sharing Jim Butcher's initials since 1987.

HHWBeh
HHWBef
HWGTW500MTHGTW500MJTBTHWW1000MTFDAYD