Author Topic: What we know  (Read 21999 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
What we know
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
So What do we know?  He has spoken about this new series a few times at Q&A's.  I recall something about talking Cats that are as devious and manipulative as the real things, just will opposable thumbs.  And the general description is that it will be a steampunk world where everybody lives on giant spires that stick out from a sort of Mist ocean.  I seem to recall some speculation about it being a civilization living on a Gas Giant planet, but I have no idea where I got that from...

Anybody know anything?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: What we know
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:25:51 PM »
There are at least three books.

The Cats have attitude, like organized crime type of attitude.  Oh and they like to light matches.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:54:22 PM by Rasins »
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:43 PM »
As does anything with thumbs...  8)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:24:15 PM »
So What do we know?  He has spoken about this new series a few times at Q&A's.  I recall something about talking Cats that are as devious and manipulative as the real things, just will opposable thumbs.  And the general description is that it will be a steampunk world where everybody lives on giant spires that stick out from a sort of Mist ocean.  I seem to recall some speculation about it being a civilization living on a Gas Giant planet, but I have no idea where I got that from...

Anybody know anything?

I just knew about the cats...oh, and I think there was something mentioned about technology made from crystals. But I'm not sure and I don't know if I recall it correctly. :-\
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
I just knew about the cats...oh, and I think there was something mentioned about technology made from crystals. But I'm not sure and I don't know if I recall it correctly. :-\

Crystals are way cooler than batteries.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
He did say it would be fun and easy to write a cat - paraphrasing from memory: "Hello, human. Even you must have noticed there have not been any rats around recently. WOuld you like that to continue?"

In related news, the cats are officially the number one reason I'll be buying these books, despite not really being into steampunk usually.

Offline aShorty21

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 08:39:29 PM »
The Cinder Spires is set in a world “of black spires that tower for miles over a mist-shrouded surface” and follows a war between two of the Spires: Spire Albion and Spire Aurora.

At the Reddit AMA a few months ago, Jim said, “It’s kinda League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Sherlock meets Hornblower. There are goggles and airships and steam power and bizarre crystal technology and talking cats, who are horrid little bullies.”

First book title: The Aeronaut’s Windlass
DV aShorty21 V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP- JB TH++ WG++ CL SW BC++ MC---- SH(Velvet Room+++++,Murphy+++,Sarissa++,Lash+,Lara+,Molly--)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »
I have been waiting to hear more about this series. I love the idea of steampunk but I have read very little that I thought was excellent. I am eagerly awaiting this series. (Of course I would be eagerly awaiting any new series that Jim wrote.) Any time projections yet or is it all too far out? Just curious, no pressure.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:57 PM »
It seens the story follows a war between two of the Spires: Spire Albion and Spire Aurora.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 03:33:13 PM »
First book title: The Aeronaut’s Windlass
The sound you hear right now is dozens of forum members going to look up what a windlass is.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline CapnCowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 05:04:04 PM »
Pft. I already know what a windlass is: A girl who has an airship. Obviously.

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »
Pft. I already know what a windlass is: A girl who has an airship. Obviously.
No, that'd be a windylass.
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline aShorty21

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 12:23:45 PM »
No, that'd be a windylass.
windylass:
1) A young woman who constantly bables about nothing.
2) A young woman who has had too many bean burritos.
DV aShorty21 V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP- JB TH++ WG++ CL SW BC++ MC---- SH(Velvet Room+++++,Murphy+++,Sarissa++,Lash+,Lara+,Molly--)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
Sarks: And finally, anything you can tell us about the steampunk series you have in the works? Maybe an ETA? Also, if you need some more beta readers for it, I'd be happy to help.
Jim: 5) It's called "The Cinder Spires" right now. It's kinda League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Sherlock meets Hornblower. There are goggles and airships and steam power and bizarre crystal technology and talking cats, who are horrid little bullies. I hope to finish the first novel by year's end, but it isn't under contract as yet, so there's no ETA on publishing.

The one thing on the series I've found out so far, may dig up more in the morning.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 05:59:01 PM »
windylass:
1) A young woman who constantly bables about nothing.
2) A young woman who has had too many bean burritos.
I'll accept the first one. The second one is a gassylass. /threadjacking
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?