Author Topic: What we know  (Read 22191 times)

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: What we know
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 01:25:47 AM »
Jetsons did it first.

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »
I also remember Jim mentioning something about magic, and those who knew magic, were wrong in some way. For example there is one person who knows magic but he doesn't know how to handle a doorknob so he has someone to open doors from him. But the dangerous magicians are those who seems like normal humans, because there must be something seriously wrong with them. Something along those lines anyway.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
I also remember Jim mentioning something about magic, and those who knew magic, were wrong in some way. For example there is one person who knows magic but he doesn't know how to handle a doorknob so he has someone to open doors from him. But the dangerous magicians are those who seems like normal humans, because there must be something seriously wrong with them. Something along those lines anyway.

Correct. How Jim handles this is outstanding.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2013, 06:08:13 PM »
So Ive been wondering:   Legend has it that the Dresden Files began as an argument regarding formulaic plot elements in fiction, and that the Codex Alera had to do with a bet involving pokemon and roman legions.  I wonder if there was any similar trigger for the Cinder Spires
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2013, 06:50:28 PM »
Not that Jim has said. As he himself has noted before, he seemed to be at his best and most energized when switching between story worlds; each one served as a "rest" from the other when he was alternating between TDF and CA. Since CA has been over for a while, he "auditioned" a few concepts with the betas, and the steampunk story kernel absolutely blew us away. Taking real-life stuff into account, he seems to be enjoying doing CS, so that's a valuable thing for both him and us.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline qazwerty99

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 07:21:23 PM »
Shecky, I have to say, you make me very jealous.  :D

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Shecky, I have to say, you make me very jealous.  :D
Read Jim's next book one chapter at a time over the course of a year, and never mention part of it to anyone.  The jealousy will lessen...  :P

;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 08:03:16 PM »
Apparently it involves a war between the spires of Albion and Aurora, yes?

Albion is the poetical term for England, also means "White" while Aurora is the name of many places, including a bunch of cities, an island, and province in the Phillipines.  Also, it's the Roman name for the Goddess of the Dawn, so we might have some sort of White v. Multicolored thing going on.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 08:04:25 PM »
Until I am told otherwise, I will assume that the Cats run absolutely everything, but that relatively few people are actually aware of the fact. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline qazwerty99

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
In real life or the books? Both seem applicable.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2013, 09:30:29 PM »
In the books.  In the real world they have taken over most but not all of the world.  Rats and Pidgeons are holding out, but they've never managed a lasting treaty with the Dogs, and so are taking losses in recent battles.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline qazwerty99

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2013, 11:12:13 PM »
I was under the impression that the rats had fallen, and were just allowed to live for entertainment.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 11:44:06 PM »
Thats just what they want you to think....  But at the end of the day who wins, Tom or Jerry?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline gholam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 04:12:51 PM »
Read Jim's next book one chapter at a time over the course of a year, and never mention part of it to anyone.  The jealousy will lessen...  :P

;)
Most of us are willing to share the burden. :P
:waves a hand in front of Shecky's face: We're your friends. You want to share all the chapters with us. You WILL give them to us. :waves a hand in front of Shecky's face:
Anything that begins well ends badly.
Anything that begins badly ends worse.
Smile, tomorrow will be worse.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2013, 11:26:57 PM »
Most of us are willing to share the burden. :P
:waves a hand in front of Shecky's face: We're your friends. You want to share all the chapters with us. You WILL give them to us. :waves a hand in front of Shecky's face:

^^ this is SOOO cute. I've been at his house, used the computer he reads them on and I've never seen chapter one of any of Jim's work before release. The man respects the confidence entrusted to him.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days