Author Topic: ???????  (Read 30758 times)

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: ???????
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2013, 03:28:17 PM »
I am excited about this new series. I love the idea of steam punk but, like many here, I have not found any that I thought was excellent. Most that I have read gets too heavy handed (for me) with their social commentary rather than concentrating on telling a good story first. I am really looking forward to seeing what Jim does. I would second Ulfgeir's recommendations as two of the better steam punk stories that I have read.

[
There's a guy who lives near me with two (so far), I think self published, steam punk novels. His name is Chris Braak, check out his web site (I'll link later) they're pretty good.

http://chrisbraak.com/novels/
/quote]

I haven't seen these. I will check them out. Thanks for the recommendation.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Cenphx

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:54 PM »
Can anyone give me some steampunk recommendations?  I have attempted to get into it before but each time that I do I find something horribly written (books, comics, tv) and then start to hate it again.  I am hoping that all of you can steer me in the right direction.
Has anyone else read "Whitechapel Gods" by S.M. Peters? I haven't read any steampunk books and read this one without knowing that it was specifically in that genre. I thought it was pretty interesting - worth reading. (Its hard to recommend books with Jim Butcher as the background standard to meet.) It is not a series though; its just the one book.

Offline LOUiE

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2013, 08:31:21 PM »
Anything new from Jim gets me excited.  I guess I'll see how I like steampunk now.  Only real exposure I have is a couple of anime features.

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2013, 08:33:11 PM »
I am excited about this new series. I love the idea of steam punk but, like many here, I have not found any that I thought was excellent. Most that I have read gets too heavy handed (for me) with their social commentary rather than concentrating on telling a good story first. I am really looking forward to seeing what Jim does. I would second Ulfgeir's recommendations as two of the better steam punk stories that I have read.

[
There's a guy who lives near me with two (so far), I think self published, steam punk novels. His name is Chris Braak, check out his web site (I'll link later) they're pretty good.

http://chrisbraak.com/novels/
/quote]

I haven't seen these. I will check them out. Thanks for the recommendation.

You wouldn't have.  I only know of him because our mothers were in a knitting group together.
Pew pew PEW!

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2013, 08:42:32 PM »
I didn't think I liked Urban Fantasy either until I found Jim's books.  SInce I love the Alera series too, I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that I will enjoy this series as well.

Plus, there are talking cats.  I'm still stuck on that.  Yippee!
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline XoVeR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
Rad

Saga is hard to even read it month to month when the book sometimes takes 2 to 3 months an issue

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:43 AM »
Looking forward to this series.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
For those wanting steampunk recommendations, I've highly enjoyed Devon Monk's AGE OF STEAM series—a mashup of steampunk, fantasy (magic and werewolves and the like), and western.  The first book is titled DEAD IRON, and it's a blast.  I've also enjoyed Chris Wooding's RETRIBUTION FALLS.

The website I review books and comics for has an "Intro to the Genre" steampunk list that you could look at for books:  http://www.rantingdragon.com/top-20-steampunk-books-an-introduction-to-the-genre/

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 12:52:18 PM »
For those wanting steampunk recommendations, I've highly enjoyed Devon Monk's AGE OF STEAM series—a mashup of steampunk, fantasy (magic and werewolves and the like), and western.  The first book is titled DEAD IRON, and it's a blast.  I've also enjoyed Chris Wooding's RETRIBUTION FALLS.

The website I review books and comics for has an "Intro to the Genre" steampunk list that you could look at for books:  http://www.rantingdragon.com/top-20-steampunk-books-an-introduction-to-the-genre/
Wow, great, thanks!  :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
I actually am not a huge fan of steam punk.
It looks neat, but the substance is lacking for the most part.
Hopefully Jim will create something with depth.

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »
I'm considering reading The Half-Made World.

I'll try next week, for now I'm waiting The Tyrant's Law thats comes out tomorrow..

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 10:38:15 PM »
by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris: Phoenix rising (The first book in the Ministry of peculiar occurences series)
Ulfgeir - about this book, one of the reviewers on Amazon mentions something awful.
(click to show/hide)
Is that really true or is it one of those "I'll make up stuff so people won't buy this book" things? I can handle anything, but that is one concept I can't handle.  :(
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 01:23:19 AM »
Ulfgeir - about this book, one of the reviewers on Amazon mentions something awful.
(click to show/hide)
Is that really true or is it one of those "I'll make up stuff so people won't buy this book" things? I can handle anything, but that is one concept I can't handle.  :(
I've read that book and have no recollection of that AT ALL. If it happens it's NOT on screen and not one of the 2 leads. One has had some bad things happen to them, but I don't recall it being precisely THAT. I may have a faulty recollection, but something like that tends to stick out to me.
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2013, 03:16:17 AM »
I'm with whingnut Spot. I have very strong feelings about this and I certainly don't remember anything like that from the book.

I read the first book in the series that you recommended Fox. I liked it. I don't know if some of the elements will work well in a series
(click to show/hide)
but I enjoyed the first story. I will buy the second. I understand that the third has been delayed by real life.

I bought Retribution Falls. My daughter snagged it to read when I got it home and I never got around to reading it. I will have to find it and try it out.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Paladino

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2013, 12:05:13 PM »
Well, I'll start readinf the Half-Made World today.. It seens The Tyrant's Law is due to 14 May not March, It's just me who missread the release date :-(