Author Topic: ???????  (Read 30759 times)

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
Re: ???????
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2013, 06:49:27 AM »
He described it once as each different writing world being a rest from the other. I can't speak to that with any personal experience, but it sure seems to work for Jim!

If it works for him, then I'm all for it. Whatever keeps him happy and producing the quality entertainment I've grown to love. Not sure if you're reading this, Jim, but if you are, keep up the great work!
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline rad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
Can anyone give me some steampunk recommendations?  I have attempted to get into it before but each time that I do I find something horribly written (books, comics, tv) and then start to hate it again.  I am hoping that all of you can steer me in the right direction. 
Sam will kill him if he tries anything.

Offline Ulfgeir

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
Can anyone give me some steampunk recommendations?  I have attempted to get into it before but each time that I do I find something horribly written (books, comics, tv) and then start to hate it again.  I am hoping that all of you can steer me in the right direction.

Well two series I can recommend:

by Lilith Saintcrow: The Iron Wyrm Affair (The first book in the Bannon & Clare series)
by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris: Phoenix rising (The first book in the Ministry of peculiar occurences series)

Then of course you also have the webomic Girl Genius.

Even though the book The Difference Engine by William Gibson & Bruce Sterling is one of the first entries of steampunk,   I hesitate to mention it. It has an interesting idea but the book feels disjointed.

/Ulfgeir
I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
  • RIP Fox Sticking-Tongue out Profile Pic- 2007-2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 12:56:04 AM »

There's a guy who lives near me with two (so far), I think self published, steam punk novels. His name is Chris Braak, check out his web site (I'll link later) they're pretty good.

http://chrisbraak.com/novels/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 03:51:12 AM by Fox »
Pew pew PEW!

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 06:42:02 PM »
I am so hyped for this, y'all have no idea.  Well, maybe Priscellie does, but she's a special case.

Offline aShorty21

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 07:42:47 PM »
I am so hyped for this, y'all have no idea.  Well, maybe Priscellie does, but she's a special case.
I'm pretty excited as well. Alera was conceived on a bet. Jim has grown a lot as a writer since Storm Front. I am anxious to read a series written by a fully powered up Jim Butcher.
DV aShorty21 V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP- JB TH++ WG++ CL SW BC++ MC---- SH(Velvet Room+++++,Murphy+++,Sarissa++,Lash+,Lara+,Molly--)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
I'm pretty excited as well. Alera was conceived on a bet. Jim has grown a lot as a writer since Storm Front. I am anxious to read a series written by a fully powered up Jim Butcher.

Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational battle author!
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 08:28:52 PM »

As long as Mark Hamil and Billy Dee Williams don't Become literary critics.
Pew pew PEW!

Offline rad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 08:32:39 PM »
Ulfgeir and Fox, Thank you for your recommendations.  I will get to those after I finish David Eddings' stuff (or at least those things related to The Belgariad universe). 

As long as Mark Hamil and Billy Dee Williams don't Become literary critics.

no

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:43:56 PM by rad »

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2013, 01:02:53 AM »

I LOVE YOU MAN!
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Fox

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2013, 04:43:04 AM »
Ulfgeir and Fox, Thank you for your recommendations.  I will get to those after I finish David Eddings' stuff (or at least those things related to The Belgariad universe). 

no

Ummmm, you don't like fruit loops?  I"m not much of a cereal guy myself.  ;D
Pew pew PEW!

Offline rad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 05:35:11 AM »
While I am generally a warm breakfast kind of guy, I am okay with fruit loops.  The reason that I posted it is because I was eating frito pie and had a similar reaction at the when I read the post. 

Offline XoVeR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »
These cats make Cat Sith seem self-effacing and courteous.

OH hell the freak yeah.  This book, to me sounds like something that will be a fun ride.

Offline XoVeR

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2013, 07:45:07 AM »

no

Is that The Will from Saga? 

Offline rad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
Yup.  It seems to be a good series but so frustrating to read month to month.  I have contented myself to reading it by a story arc basis.