Author Topic: ???????  (Read 30784 times)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
???????
« on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:01 PM »
Me thinks something is happening

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: ???????
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:32:56 PM »

Congrats to Jim for selling the first three books in a new steampunk series, The Cinder Spires!

From Publishers Weekly:

Penguin Group is continuing its relationship with bestselling fantasy writer Jim Butcher. The author of the Dresden Files and Codex Alera closed a seven-figure, three-book deal with his current publisher for a new series. Anne Sowards, at Roc, took world English rights to The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut’s Windlass, and two sequels, from agent Jennifer Jackson at Donald Maass Literary. Butcher recently published the 14th book in the Dresden Files, a series that has been adapted to TV (on SyFy channel) and turned into a comic book (published by Dynamite Entertainment). The Cinder Spires, Jackson said, is set in a world “of black spires that tower for miles over a mist-shrouded surface” and follows a war between two of the Spires: Spire Albion and Spire Aurora.

At the Reddit AMA a few months ago, Jim said, “It’s kinda League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Sherlock meets Hornblower. There are goggles and airships and steam power and bizarre crystal technology and talking cats, who are horrid little bullies.”

Jim is still writing the first book, The Aeronaut’s Windlass, so we don’t have a release date yet. We’ll let you know as soon as there’s something to announce!
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:19 PM »
There are talking cats?  Yes!   ;D
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:17:26 PM »
Don't worry; the talking changes their personality not one whit.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:59:02 PM »
Don't worry; the talking changes their personality not one whit.
So they are ruthless, fickle, and devious?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 11:47:08 PM »
So they are ruthless, fickle, and devious?

Exactamundo. :D

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:25 AM »
And superior to us in all ways. Don't believe me? Just ask them.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:45:40 AM »
I can't express the level of stoked I am for this after hearing Priscilla and Shecky chat about how much they loved it well over a year ago. Then after seeing Jim over the holidays and listening to HIM talk about it, going to be epic!
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 03:01:58 AM »
Seriously. After only an eight-chapter "audition", I was chomping at the bit for more.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 03:16:19 AM »
Cold Days spoiler:
(click to show/hide)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:38:08 AM »
These cats make Cat Sith seem self-effacing and courteous.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 03:45:36 AM »
Are any of them called Tobermory?
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Kuriositys Kat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
Are any of them called Tobermory?

Ahh the memories.. but Saki was in error.. no way would a true speaker have let on he understood or even spoken to  a human he couldn't control. My opinion from what I know of our overlords.

Any mention of a publication date or is that still in scheduling hands?
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold.  Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
Any mention of a publication date or is that still in scheduling hands?

Nada. Jim's well into the writing, but given that a contract for the series was just signed, details haven't been released yet.

Offline rad

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
These cats make Cat Sith seem self-effacing and courteous.
...this is horrifying.  I am starting to think that the cats must run everything.
Sam will kill him if he tries anything.