Author Topic: 1st person or 3rd person?  (Read 9307 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: 1st person or 3rd person?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 02:42:34 AM »
Not sure how I would distribute it without breaking copyright laws and encouraging piracy. :P

Besides, I don't own the e-books, only the hardcovers.

Solution: just post a list online of PoV by chapter.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline bookwormsam

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55:49 PM »
On switching perspectives:

You know what I would LOVE to see?

e-books being used to somewhat full potential.

Since we're talking about Codex Alera, why do I have to read the chapters sequentially? I like Amara's chapters in FLF.  Why can't I just read all of her chapters, right in a row?

It would be child's play, technologically.

edit: This would be utterly amazing in ASoIaF, as well.

I actually did this for Tavi's chapters. I have a list somewhere that shows what order I need to read the chapters in to only read the story that includes Tavi. It is a lot of fun to read his entire adventure in one fell swoop.

Offline Nexfalx

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 03:26:01 AM »
I actually did this for Tavi's chapters. I have a list somewhere that shows what order I need to read the chapters in to only read the story that includes Tavi. It is a lot of fun to read his entire adventure in one fell swoop.

THIS i put post it notes on the first page of each chapter that started a characters perspective, like all of Tavi's chapter had a green post it note at the start, and all of Amara's had a blue post it. works like a charm.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »
Just throwing out another series that manages multiple Third perspective without ending up a confusing mess.  The Grimnoir Chronicles, by Larry Correia.

Personally, I hope Butcher changes his multiple 3rd person format, so it's more a marathon of perspectives, rather a jumble of time skips.  I'm not sure if I'll be interested in following another series like Codex.

Offline matthew

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
It's really interesting how people had a problem with rapidly changing perspectives in CA, I think it might be because they tried to take their time and enjoy it :)

I usually go through Jim's books the day I get them so a chapter cliffhanger is resolved in minutes instead of hours or maybe days :)