Author Topic: piker gun tech makes no sense  (Read 1373 times)

Offline ironwolf16

• Participant
    • View Profile
piker gun tech makes no sense
« on: November 29, 2023, 01:08:00 AM »
so spoilers for 2 nd book but the fact the pikers have old style cannons and flintlocks makes no sense to me.  sorry the tech should have advanced to at least cartridge ammo.  i can see other societies not having higher gun tech but for a society that is dependent on gunpowder weapons it dosent make any sense to me

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
Re: piker gun tech makes no sense
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 05:39:20 AM »
I wondered about that myself.  It seemed a bit too Horatio Hornblower to me.  If they had something that looked like a mid 20th century artillery piece, that would have made more sense.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline coboney

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: piker gun tech makes no sense
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 01:42:06 PM »
The issue with the Piker's here is they are very much hand to mouth and not really having time to invest on testing or ideating on things. People who are generally in the setting working on new technology, are doing it with crystals and other etheral type technology. So the older and cheap stuff is left behind, and the Piker's use it because its cheap and don't really have the resources to plow into trying to figure out how to make better guns which took a lot of time, and testing, and it wasn't always a straight line forward type thing (IE you might improve accuracy but take more time, like with rifling, and then figuring out how to do that best took longer... and rifles took a lot longer to make too).

Essentially the Piker's lack the resources to invest in gunpowder weapon development, and the other spires lack the will to as they prefer to invest in improving the safer technology they have.